Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 10:48 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by susiesan
Wow. Glad I was able to recently get what will probably be my last F and J awards on CX using AA miles for a vacation to Sri Lanka next year. One more reason why I will leave AA as soon as I use up all my miles. Redeeming for premium seats on CX was the only reason there to stay with AA since you can never get a premium int'l seat on an AA plane.
It's the same reason why I've been collecting AAdvantage miles for the longest time. Their redemption rate is FANTASTIC for J & F on CX flights. 55k in J from North America to Asia 2 as opposed to 70k using MPC from the West Coast to HKG. If you go beyond HKG, you're hitting 80k.

But as you mentioned, once it gets harder to redeem these tickets in the future, I will less likely collect AAdvantage miles.

The airlines are doing pretty good these days. The trend is fly with whoever you're banking the miles with and get the perks that go along with it. Fly our partners and get some of the perks.

Going slightly off topic. The writing is on the wall. There's no doubt in my mind that AAdvantage WILL NOT be in its current form in the near future. It's a matter of time in which AA will follow the competition and go more towards a revenue based program.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:02 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
On the other hand, QF doesn't seem to limit availability of any of those seats to its own members.
AFAIK QF does this differently - it releases comparatively few redemption seats openly to its own members and offers these to its partners in equal measure; but on request from its WP/WP1/CL members it will make revenue seats available for redemption (CX used to do this for its own DMs til recently).
Old May 10, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: IHG (Spire), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Lifetime Gold); Hyatt (Globalist)
Originally Posted by ymmot73
Hey everyone,
Thanks for such an informative thread. Here is my question:

I am thinking of trying to go to Hong Kong via LAX, SFO, or even ORD around Christmas Holiday using AA miles in F. Ideal would be to depart on the 22nd or 23rd and return around the 27th, 28th or 29th. Very flexible on days/times and am fine waiting until the week before to get tickets if that is necessary.

What I am wondering is if anyone has had good luck around that time frame in year's past? I would rather not hold out hope if it's virtually impossible. From what I can tell, there aren't any official blackout dates so should be feasible, but thought I would check to see what people thought.

Thanks so much for any thoughts!
Tom
I checked all your options on JAL.com and at the moment there are no outbound F seats to HKG from LAX/SFO/ORD. There is an inbound to SFO on the 29th and an inbound to ORD on the 30th.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Well talking to my CX friend changes are coming. It was a good run for sure. I flew CX F at least 10 times from ORD or JFK. Looks like CX will go the way of QF impossible to get.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
That's true of CX award seats as well. They're available at 355 days to members of other programs. But this is mitigated by the large number of award seats that CX releases, and, I would guess, a lesser demand for award flights to Asia vs. Australia. QF just releases fewer seats. On the other hand, QF doesn't seem to limit availability of any of those seats to its own members. CX already does this, and the SCMP article says this will expand.

One other real difference between the two programs is that QF does not release last minute awards. Unsold J and F inventory either flies empty or perhaps becomes available for upgrade by QF frequent fliers.
Agreed that these are major differences between QF and CX, although on CX it's not all "early or late" (meaning T-355 or T-3). They do periodically release award seats somewhere in the middle. I mean, I got 2x F on LAX-HKG r/t about 7-8 months in advance. I have a hard time believing those 4 seats just sat out there, unclaimed, for 4-5 months.

It'll definitely be a sad day for AAdvantage, though, if CX goes the way of QF (or worse, SQ). But i imagine there will be many sAAd dAAys for AAdvantage (sorry) over the next 12-18 months.
Old May 11, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I have just done a AA booking on CX and want to share my experience with you all.

Just for background, I am booking 3 award seats for CX J ADL-HKG:

1 seat secured using QFF points (need to book 1 seat on QFF due to expected kid later this year, which I can then get a "free" award ticket for infant via QFF; cannot do this using CX or AA miles).
1 seat secured using CX Asia Miles (have points which will expire next year)

and I wanted to book 1 seat using AAdvantage.

So BA and JL indicated 2 seats, QF and CX also indicate availability. Call AAgent who said no seat available. Call next day to another AAgent. Same answer: no seat available.

So I asked them what day when they have seats, then they advised on the day which at least 3 seats are shown available on BA. Anything with 2 seats available or less in BA, AA said it is not available.

So I did an experiment, I spent 3500 QFF points this morning to move my existing QF award booking to another date which shows availability.

Now BA shows 3 seats available on the flight I want. I called AA again, now AAgent said there is 1 seat available on that flight (before there was none). I immediately placed booking and put it on hold for me.

Then I spent another 3500 QFF points to move the QFF award back to the date I wanted. QFF indicated no problems.

Checked BA again, now only 1 award seat available on that flight.

So now I suspect that AA can only allowed allocate "X - 2" award seats on certain CX flights. I proved it by moving booked flights around and back.

So this could be a new form of rules to stop AA members booking all those awards on CX flights. I suggest you check BA/JL to have at least 3 seats available on CX before booking with AA. It explains the phantom availabilities.

Maybe it is worth putting it in sticky if this is becoming a known issue.

Last edited by kamchatsky; May 11, 2015 at 1:10 am
Old May 11, 2015, 1:23 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
[wrong thread, apologies

But as an aside there's an interesting cross-discussion over at the CX forum where I'm meant to post this that isn't very flattering of AAdvantage members redeeming CX http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post24796803 ]
Old May 11, 2015, 7:15 am

I've been looking for 2 F seats from any of the US cities to Hong Kong in 2016 and so far I have seen 0 availability. JAL lists a couple flights with 1 seats, but I haven't seen anything show 2 available F seats.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I have just done a AA booking on CX and want to share my experience with you all.

1 seat secured using QFF points (need to book 1 seat on QFF due to expected kid later this year, which I can then get a "free" award ticket for infant via QFF; cannot do this using CX or AA miles).

So BA and JL indicated 2 seats, QF and CX also indicate availability. Call AAgent who said no seat available. Call next day to another AAgent. Same answer: no seat available.

So I asked them what day when they have seats, then they advised on the day which at least 3 seats are shown available on BA. Anything with 2 seats available or less in BA, AA said it is not available.

So I did an experiment, I spent 3500 QFF points this morning to move my existing QF award booking to another date which shows availability.

Now BA shows 3 seats available on the flight I want. I called AA again, now AAgent said there is 1 seat available on that flight (before there was none). I immediately placed booking and put it on hold for me.

Then I spent another 3500 QFF points to move the QFF award back to the date I wanted. QFF indicated no problems.

So now I suspect that AA can only allowed allocate "X - 2" award seats on certain CX flights. I proved it by moving booked flights around and back.

So this could be a new form of rules to stop AA members booking all those awards on CX flights. I suggest you check BA/JL to have at least 3 seats available on CX before booking with AA. It explains the phantom availabilities.

This is very very bad news.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: All of them
I just finished a CX booking involving Dragonair, where I took the last seat (according to BA) on the Dragonair flight. Maybe what you describe applies to CX proper only.

This would be bad news for first class since those cabins are so small, but business is rarely close to being fully booked on every CX flight I've been on.

Old May 11, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I just finished a CX booking involving Dragonair, where I took the last seat (according to BA) on the Dragonair flight. Maybe what you describe applies to CX proper only.

This would be bad news for first class since those cabins are so small, but business is rarely close to being fully booked on every CX flight I've been on.
Will they start not to release seats even if the cabin is and will not be full ??
Old May 11, 2015, 8:59 am

very clever
so X-2 for J and same for F ?
Old May 11, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by CGRA
Will they start not to release seats even if the cabin is and will not be full ??
Who knows....that's just rumors circulating. Considering how empty most biz cabins are it would be stupid of them to restrict it. But I'm already seeing the trend where you get good availability either very far our, or within a month, and very little in between. Good thing AA allows a cabin upgrade and re-routes for free.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:09 am
Suspended

...Good thing AA allows a cabin upgrade and re-routes for free.
Indeed, helps a lot!
Old May 11, 2015, 9:57 am

Great info above!

So what I'm getting here is that AA miles can book CX F only when 3 seats are available on BA website? I've browsed through BA before and never saw 3 F seats available. Always capped at 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.