Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I have seen F revenue and F awards match at the partner level (and have booked successfully), but only inside of 24 hrs. Last summer ORDHKG was F3 with 3 awards, which we booked via AA, only to change to JFKHKG when that was F3/3 awards. So there's reason to be hopeful.

CX841 now showing F2, so either the OP split the party or somebody jumped more quickly. Lesson is: never sleep T-48 if hoping for an award.
Very true for the T-24
Wanted to change an HKG-LHR on BA to CX
Nothing at T-22 by phone with AA (despite was available on BA.com and it was F3)
called at T-15 and AA found it and was ticketed / change in one hour.
AA gave me 1D and called MPC to change it to 2K (easily done)
Checked on CX and it was confirmed for 2 K
When I received my BP at DPS it was 2D. I didn't pay attention until I board in HKHand realized that someone (without baby) was in my seat. (in fact it was his seat)

My final destination was CDG, not LHR. (full routing was DPS-HKG-LHR-CDG)
HKG-CDG was F0 at T-24 (the seat map show 2A and 2K available, probably some people who booked their ticket without assigning a seat)
75 mns prior departure I checked on EF and the CDG flight was F2, asked CX at the lounge for their opinion and they told me that even if AA changed it, they need one hour to find and change my checked bags so it'll be too late (they told me that bags must fly with pax)
I wish I'll have checked the CDG flight earlier in the day (
That will save me 4 hours and probably a delayed bag
The 2 seats available were in fact 2A & 2K (same seats already available on the seat map) I know that we should not trust a seat map but this is an odd coincidence, maybe EF was wrong with the F0 ?

The guy in 1D receive a nice congratulations drawing from CX FA for 500.000 miles flown

They have 8 or 10 box of 20 g caviars on board for the 6 F pax
I asked / received a second one for breakfast.

Was it a good idea to change from BA in A380 to CX ,?, (both in F)
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Was it a good idea to change from BA in A380 to CX ,?, (both in F)
There are very few times when switching into CX F is not the best idea. I don't think a BA A380 is one of them. Maybe for SQ Suites or a Middle Eastern A380 flight.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Your eticket receipt email from AA should list baggage allowance.
It should and usually does, but in this case, it doesn't. Neither does AA's site when I pull up the PNR. That's why I'm asking here. All I know otherwise is the AA rep telling me it "should" be CX's allowance.

Looking here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/baggageExceptions.jsp

The following passengers will be allowed a 1st and 2nd checked bag at no additional charge ...
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
Since this award is priced as a J/F award with a voluntary downgrade on the first outbound segment (we're split across cabins for now), I'm thinking it'll actually be AA's allowance that applies and that allowance is 2 bags.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:18 am

[
Originally Posted by starbuk
There are very few times when switching into CX F is not the best idea. I don't think a BA A380 is one of them. Maybe for SQ Suites or a Middle Eastern A380 flight.
thank you.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Gold
complete success with outbound

Originally Posted by seawolf
Should be very easy to get transpacific for 7/8/9 FEB 2016 as it is Chinese New Year. Getting flights within Asia.....that might be a different story.
No problem getting the flight within Asia. I just booked the last segment for my vacation to Sri Lanka next Feb. award tickets HKG-CMB. Got the flight I wanted CX 611 on the first call to AA this morning, when they became available.

This is what I ended up with outbound:
Feb. 10, 2016
US 601 MCI-PHX 6:15pm-7:59pm, F
US 640 PHX-LAX 9:10pm-9:39pm, F
CX 881 LAX-HKG 12:05am-7:40am Feb. 12, 1 F and 1 J
CX 661HKG-CMB 8:10pm-11:30pm, J

I will check in periodically to see if another F seat opens up on CX 881.
Now I wait 2 weeks for the dates of the return to open up. I will decide whether to use a CX routing through ORD on the way home or JL routing through LAX to be able to try F on JL.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I was able to grab a second LAX-HKG F seat around six months out. They seem to pop up randomly when there are no or few other bookings in F. So, it's worth checking regularly--not just when you're within 2 weeks of departure.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I was able to grab a second LAX-HKG F seat around six months out. They seem to pop up randomly when there are no or few other bookings in F. So, it's worth checking regularly--not just when you're within 2 weeks of departure.
Yes, that is what I was planning to do. Check maybe once a week.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:22 pm

Agreed. Another reason why Awardnexus is worth it.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:57 pm

I find it just as easy to search on JL or BA site then call AA to make the change. If awardnexus would send an email when the award seat is available
then we'd have a plan.

When I called today for the final leg HKG-CMB AA agent could see flights on Feb. 12 but the JL site was not seeing Feb.12, only Feb. 11. So the AA agent was one day ahead of JL site. Interesting.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
I find it just as easy to search on JL or BA site then call AA to make the change. If awardnexus would send an email when the award seat is available
then we'd have a plan.

When I called today for the final leg HKG-CMB AA agent could see flights on Feb. 12 but the JL site was not seeing Feb.12, only Feb. 11. So the AA agent was one day ahead of JL site. Interesting.
That's what awardnexus does. It sends you an email when the award is available. It's how I recently snagged an F seat for August, on a day that I probably wouldn't have bothered checking BA myself (I think I was putting up he Xmas tree, or maybe skiing, don't remember. But I do remember calling AA from the side of the road and claiming what's rightfully mine).
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I find AwardNexus interface and credit system confusing. I guess I need to go back and play around with it some more. On the other hand I'm happy with KVS but there is no automated search or notification function.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:31 pm

I find AwardNexus interface and credit system confusing. I guess I need to go back and play around with it some more. On the other hand I'm happy with KVS but there is no automated search or notification function.
Agree it could be more user friendly. And the points can go quickly if you're not careful (or if colleagues constantly ask for searches, but I digress). Still, for automation, it can't be beat. I've scored a half dozen CX awards with it.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: SW A-List and HH Diamond
+1
I Love it. It's such a great tool for book award travel. The notification system is well worth the fee.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:07 pm

Can I use add'l AA miles to move from J to F if the inventory is available even if I have completed a domestic segment of the same ticket?

Flying DCA-JFK-HKG next week (CX flight in J) and am closely watching to see if CX opens F award space (I booked these tickets 331 days out and there has never been F space available). If after the DCA-JFK leg is complete CX opens F inventory to HKG can I call AA and move to F or is this sort of change not permitted after the initial segment? I assume I can still use more miles to re ticket to F but would like confirmation
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Waiting for a J seat to open up for December...do the J class seats typically open up like the pattern that exists with F...two weeks or so from departure? I'm hoping for maybe a few J seats to open up around 6 months but I can live with 2 weeks....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.