Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
There's hardly any F award availability on CX through its OW partners from YVR to HKG. Did they start restricting it? I remember a year ago there used to be at least some availability.
CX has reduced the number of flights with F to YVR, they've taken seats out of F inventory by removing the 744 from the fleet, and there are a bunch of folks who can now buy cheap US miles and fly in CX F for about $2K USD. Do the math, and it spells less inventory, and it getting snatched up very quickly when it's available.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by bhamsan01
Just requested a ticket yesterday thru AA. Should take 3 days or so? I can access my reservation on the CX website with the CX PNR even though the ticket is only on request.
It varies but it can take a few days or more. If you are close to flying you can call AA and sit on the phone for 20 minutes to have them expedite it same day.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:50 pm

Hi -

Buying US miles allows CX J to HKG / SE Asia for about $2 / 2.5K USD; For CX F it is closer to $2.5K / 3K USD.

But your overall point is still correct. YVR now only has 6 overnight F seats a day and they go fast.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Funny thing, my award just ticketed about an hour ago. Good times!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: moka Lifetime
Ive issued like 8 tickets over the passed 2-3 weeks and not a single one took longer than a day.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by moka
Ive issued like 8 tickets over the passed 2-3 weeks and not a single one took longer than a day.
+1 Most tickets I've ticketed with AA as of late have been done within 2 or 3 hours. The one that didn't move for a week - something was set up wrong and it ticketed shortly after when I called in to fix it. An EY booking I made took more than a day too.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The question of CX F availability for other OW FFPs has been discussed before.
The answer is that CX has introduced priority for MPC members a while ago (well over a year ago). CX opens availability to its own members first. Then if the seat is not taken it will also open it to partners after a few days. My experience is that J seats are sometimes opened simultaneously to all FFPs, while F seats tend to be first offered to MPC members. The length of the delay before opening a F seat to all FFPs seems random. I know because I can check both the availability on MPC and on BAEC.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, AA Plat, UA Gold
Hey guys, so I changed my reservation and haven't gotten the confirm email from AA. I says "On Request" on the AA site but on the Cathay site it sees confirmed and I can see my seat assignments. Flight is Tuesday. Do I need to do anything? Call AA or is everything ok cause it says confirmed on Cathay?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by tuppy
Hey guys, so I changed my reservation and haven't gotten the confirm email from AA. I says "On Request" on the AA site but on the Cathay site it sees confirmed and I can see my seat assignments. Flight is Tuesday. Do I need to do anything? Call AA or is everything ok cause it says confirmed on Cathay?
On Request is not good enough, it needs to say Ticketed and you need the new ticket number (be sure to print that out and have it handy at the airport "just-in-case"). That it says Confirmed at the CX web site does not mean that they have a valid ticket in their reservation.

Given flight is Tuesday, if it has been more than 24 hours since you made the change I would give AA a call and check on it.

DAK
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by dkerr
On Request is not good enough, it needs to say Ticketed and you need the new ticket number (be sure to print that out and have it handy at the airport "just-in-case"). That it says Confirmed at the CX web site does not mean that they have a valid ticket in their reservation.

Given flight is Tuesday, if it has been more than 24 hours since you made the change I would give AA a call and check on it.

DAK
Thanks. Calling now.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:51 am

So I've got 4 people booked in J for CX 841 tomorrow morning. On EF it says F4 and BA is showing the typical 3 seats available in F now. Is there anything I can do to get all four seats? We would rather stay in J than split cabins but sure would enjoy getting us all in f. Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:23 am

So I've got 4 people booked in J for CX 841 tomorrow morning. On EF it says F4 and BA is showing the typical 3 seats available in F now. Is there anything I can do to get all four seats? We would rather stay in J than split cabins but sure would enjoy getting us all in f. Thanks.
There is nothing you can do unless/until CX release that last award seat. I checked Asiamiles and they are offering 3 seats to them as well, so there is no difference based on mileage currency, at least right now and it is not quite 24 hours before flight time.

Frankly, if it were my family, I would split us up... two in F and two in J. I might even take all 3 in F. As a family we tend not to spend much time interacting with each other during flight. Do you have seats in the mini-cabin right behind F at the moment? There is only a curtain between them. Also if they get down to one unsold F seat then they might just release it as well. But don't depend on that... we have been in exactly the same situation as you a couple of years ago and the flight went out with one empty F seat (and one of our party on the "wrong" side of the curtain).

DAK
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:33 am
Suspended

A recommended above, split up and do 2 in J and 2 in F (or some mix like that.) You're most certainly-- short of buying it-- not going to be able to compel them to release that single seat, obviously. Always a *chance* that if you grab 3, the other might pop up, but this is a lot of last-minute maneuvering (where other factors can definitely intervene) -if- you're not content to split up as/if needed.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by dkerr
There is nothing you can do unless/until CX release that last award seat. I checked Asiamiles and they are offering 3 seats to them as well, so there is no difference based on mileage currency, at least right now and it is not quite 24 hours before flight time.

Frankly, if it were my family, I would split us up... two in F and two in J. I might even take all 3 in F. As a family we tend not to spend much time interacting with each other during flight. Do you have seats in the mini-cabin right behind F at the moment? There is only a curtain between them. Also if they get down to one unsold F seat then they might just release it as well. But don't depend on that... we have been in exactly the same situation as you a couple of years ago and the flight went out with one empty F seat (and one of our party on the "wrong" side of the curtain).

DAK
You'd be nuts not to grab. But also check ORD. I've found that sometimes when F4 inside 24 hrs, all four are available for awards.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:45 am

Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) award - questions, availability

No not in the mini cabin. Back in d and g in 22 and 23. Made a switch late to this flight and mini cabin was full. Splitting just not gonna work so unless they open that last seat up I'll have to get lucky on the return which is F5 right now. Thanks all for the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.