Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by opus2002
What do you do with final leg of the flight? The JFK-HKG-final leg? Do you do a change destination, which will incur a fee if non-AA status?
I'm assuming there's a fee, but it is waived at my status level. In the past, we've been ticketed JFKHKGSIN, but then decide to spend a few days in HKG. Hence, we discard the original HKGSIN and simply book a separate award for HKGSIN a few days later.

From CX's perspective, JFKHKGSIN changes to JFKHKG. There's never been an issue.

Another time, we wanted to do BKK and DPS in the same trip, but we decided to reverse the order. So while originally booked JFKHKGBKK and DPSHKGJFK, we changed it to JFKHKGDPS and BKKHKGJFK (getting from DPS to BKK isn't CX). Again, NO PROBLEM.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
<redacted>

Do yourself a favor, listen to bmchris

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 20, 2015 at 9:08 am
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Do yourself a favor, listen to bmchris
Who was this directed at? BMCHRIS already admitted he had trouble BEFORE ticketing was complete.

Confused.

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 20, 2015 at 9:09 am Reason: Removed quote of redacted post
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Who was this directed at? BMCHRIS already admitted he had trouble BEFORE ticketing was complete.

Confused.
Before ticketing all bets are off. After ticketing is very different and I believe that Jaimie is correct.

In this case the OP is not even talking about changing the route, he only desires to change the specific flight to one earlier in the day to ensure a longer/safer connection in HKG. I believe that it is perfectly safe to do that even if married segments rules enforced because the origin and destination remain the same, you are still on the original married segments just different flight number.

Just make sure that when you call the AAgent they don't remove the HKG-JFK segment from the record, they will add the new one first (so you will temporarily have two PVG-HKG flights) and get it confirmed (in OK status). Once it is confirmed back from CX they will remove the original PVG-HKG and submit for re-ticketing. This should all take place on the one phone call.

DAK
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I'm assuming there's a fee, but it is waived at my status level.
AA waives fees for EXPs (and I just lost my EXP status ) but they will also waive fees for all AA members for certain other changes as well, most notably when upgrading to a higher award level... e.g. change from a J award to an F award.

But I think one of the changes that they will waive a change fee is if you simply drop a segment from an itinerary provided the award remains the same. So for example if you have a JFK-HKG-SIN and decide to drop the HKG-SIN segment then because both SIN and HKG are in the same award region then there is no need to reinstate the miles/claim a new award, then there is no fee charged. I don't know the specific rules around this as I have never tried it -- so it may only work if it is the last segment of an itinerary (ie, the origin remains the same, only destination changes) and/or the rule may require that the change keeps the origin/destination in the same country (as opposed to region) in which case my HKG/SIN example doesn't work.

DAK
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:46 am

An AAdvantage rep told me on the phone when I booked my BOS-LGA/JFK-YVR trip that I could call back and drop the BOS-LGA segment without penalty if I preferred to find my own way to JFK (I had asked specifically because if BOS-JFK space never opened, I was going to fly paid B6 PWM-JFK instead).

In fact, I booked the BOS-LGA segment specifically on her advice, rather than just JFK-YVR, because I'd at least then have a workable origin if the BOS-JFK space opened and could either change to that or drop the segment, both without penalty.

Changes to origin and destination incur a fee, but dropping a segment doesn't, unless it changes the price of the award for some other reason (like zone).
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
An AAdvantage rep told me on the phone when I booked my BOS-LGA/JFK-YVR trip that I could call back and drop the BOS-LGA segment without penalty if I preferred to find my own way to JFK (I had asked specifically because if BOS-JFK space never opened, I was going to fly paid B6 PWM-JFK instead).

In fact, I booked the BOS-LGA segment specifically on her advice, rather than just JFK-YVR, because I'd at least then have a workable origin if the BOS-JFK space opened and could either change to that or drop the segment, both without penalty.

Changes to origin and destination incur a fee, but dropping a segment doesn't, unless it changes the price of the award for some other reason (like zone).
An agent telling you that and an agent doing that are two VERY DIFFERENT things. Have you tried to do it? I bet it won't work.

I am in a similar situation with a QF award ticket. Ticketed DCA-JFK-LAX-SYD. I'd prefer to fly WAS-LAX, but can't change the ticket because the award seat on QF is JFK-LAX-SYD and the inventory isn't there LAX-SYD. For what its worth, when I called EXP desk after it was ticketed, the agent first said, "of course you can do that." About 4 minutes later she was singing a different tune - "oh. I was wrong. You can't do that."
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Ross0
An agent telling you that and an agent doing that are two VERY DIFFERENT things. Have you tried to do it? I bet it won't work.

I am in a similar situation with a QF award ticket. Ticketed DCA-JFK-LAX-SYD. I'd prefer to fly WAS-LAX, but can't change the ticket because the award seat on QF is JFK-LAX-SYD and the inventory isn't there LAX-SYD. For what its worth, when I called EXP desk after it was ticketed, the agent first said, "of course you can do that." About 4 minutes later she was singing a different tune - "oh. I was wrong. You can't do that."
I haven't dropped the segment yet, but I did make a change. I was able to change to BOS-JFK-YVR (original was BOS-LGA/JFK-YVR).

If I'm understanding your post correctly, your situation is a little bit different. You've ticketed and JFK-LAX-SYD is all on QF. QF can't sell JFK-LAX, so there's probably a married segment coming into play - they probably can't drop JFK-LAX without dropping JFK-LAX-SYD, at which point there's a big risk the inventory doesn't reappear.

My situation is BOS-LGA (US) changing to BOS-JFK(AA), without touching the JFK-YVR (CX) segment at all.

That said, I'll update if I drop the segment - I'm totally open to being wrong. I'd still prefer to pay and fly PWM-JFK since it's more convenient for me and I'll end up with an 8-10 hour layover either way (current BOS-JFK outbound has me at 10 hours). The B6 flights are just too expensive now.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I haven't dropped the segment yet, but I did make a change. I was able to change to BOS-JFK-YVR (original was BOS-LGA/JFK-YVR).

If I'm understanding your post correctly, your situation is a little bit different. You've ticketed and JFK-LAX-SYD is all on QF. QF can't sell JFK-LAX, so there's probably a married segment coming into play - they probably can't drop JFK-LAX without dropping JFK-LAX-SYD, at which point there's a big risk the inventory doesn't reappear.

My situation is BOS-LGA (US) changing to BOS-JFK(AA), without touching the JFK-YVR (CX) segment at all.

That said, I'll update if I drop the segment - I'm totally open to being wrong. I'd still prefer to pay and fly PWM-JFK since it's more convenient for me and I'll end up with an 8-10 hour layover either way (current BOS-JFK outbound has me at 10 hours). The B6 flights are just too expensive now.
Oops, sorry, you're correct. I misread that.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:21 am
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Mar 20, 2015 at 10:27 am
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:44 am

I have a CX F flight booked, but saw avail one day later that I was considering changing to. I know I'll have the $150 date change penalty, but would it also come with the $75 close-in booking fee (trip is in a week)? Since I'm already booked, just changing the date?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by kswissreject
I have a CX F flight booked, but saw avail one day later that I was considering changing to. I know I'll have the $150 date change penalty, but would it also come with the $75 close-in booking fee (trip is in a week)? Since I'm already booked, just changing the date?
No. If your original booking date was outside the $75 time period (for the new flight date) then you will not be charged to change. If your origin and destination are the same then you should not be charged the $150 either.

DAK
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kswissreject
Since when AA starts charging changing fee on a mere date change?

Isn't date change and even routing change as long as the O/D remain the same and the changes are among oneworld members, are free to all?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Since when AA starts charging changing fee on a mere date change?

Isn't date change and even routing change as long as the O/D remain the same and the changes are among oneworld members, are free to all?
Yes. However... if I make a booking today for a flight a month from now and have it all ticketed, then call back and change it to a flight next week, then the close-in $75 fee will be charged. This is to avoid a loophole where people could book a flight for sometime well in the future and then change it to a much closer flight. The date you originally ticketed the flight must be more than 21 days before the date of flight you are changing to.

DAK
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:27 pm

CX has an available award seat (viewable to BA and QF websites) that I would like to grab but EXP desk says they can't see the inventory. I forget, is there a trick that will allow the AA agent to see the seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.