Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
jamiebaker is saying no changes to the flights associated with that pricing unit once travel begins. DCA-JFK-HKG is one award. If DCA-JFK has been flown, he is saying JFK-HKG can't be changed in his experience.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that as I have no experience with this.
Once you have started your itinerary you can still change parts of it, e.g. your return flight. However the OP is asking about changing a flight after he has checked in and is enroute which is something else. You cannot make changes once you are checked in. The AAgent can offload you from a flight but it is not something they do very often and likely to cause complications with any checked baggage.... for this reason, if you are holding out for a J to F change within 24 hours, do not check in online until you are sure you are ready to.

Also OP has stated that the DCA flight leaves DCA 7 hours prior to the connecting CX flight departure. I believe that any CX award flight using AA miles needs to be ticketed by 4 hours prior to departure. So it is a fairly small window for a change to take place that would free up another award seat. Yes could happen, but I will suggest unlikely.

Also if you are enroute and need to re-ticket, I'm not sure how they do that keeping the origin airport the same... as you have already traveled that first segment, so the new ticket would be JFK-HKG rather than DCA-JFK-HKG. How do they do that? Normally would be a ticket exchange plus additional miles, or a ticket cancel / reinstatement of miles / withdraw of new miles. But how do you cancel or exchange a ticket that is already partially used?

Anything is possible, but this is probably right at the edge of possible.

DAK
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by dkerr
Once you have started your itinerary you can still change parts of it, e.g. your return flight. However the OP is asking about changing a flight after he has checked in and is enroute which is something else. You cannot make changes once you are checked in. The AAgent can offload you from a flight but it is not something they do very often and likely to cause complications with any checked baggage.... for this reason, if you are holding out for a J to F change within 24 hours, do not check in online until you are sure you are ready to.

Also OP has stated that the DCA flight leaves DCA 7 hours prior to the connecting CX flight departure. I believe that any CX award flight using AA miles needs to be ticketed by 4 hours prior to departure. So it is a fairly small window for a change to take place that would free up another award seat. Yes could happen, but I will suggest unlikely.

Also if you are enroute and need to re-ticket, I'm not sure how they do that keeping the origin airport the same... as you have already traveled that first segment, so the new ticket would be JFK-HKG rather than DCA-JFK-HKG. How do they do that? Normally would be a ticket exchange plus additional miles, or a ticket cancel / reinstatement of miles / withdraw of new miles. But how do you cancel or exchange a ticket that is already partially used?

Anything is possible, but this is probably right at the edge of possible.

DAK
Good point given small window. In my most recent case, I was flying DPSHKG/HKGJFK with a 22 hr layover. I was specifically told once I fly the DPSHKG segment I could make no changes to the long-haul leg. Hence, I simply booked a stand-alone DPSHKG, and once ticketed, dropped the initial DPSHKG segment from the DPSHKGJFK PNR. Sure enough, upon landing in HKG, F was available on HKGJFK. This should clear up some of the earlier posts.

Here's a question, what if OP's F award becomes available 2 hrs before the originating short-haul? If it doesn't ticket in time, that could be an issue. If you are long miles, break it off a day before and just suck up the loss.

Good luck - Jamie
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:28 am

Help - on CX reservation

Folks....

I appreciate your help as I am new to CX reservations. I started reading thread extensively but what I am not sure if I am late to do my reservations.

I am looking to fly ROC-CMB via BKK (layover here for about 4 days) So I am trying to find 2 F seats in Dec 12th leaving ROC and leaving BKK on 17th. I am currently stuck and do not see any options...does seats become available later or should I drop my hopes?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by DWFI
ORD went from ~9F across 1.5 flights to 6F across 1 flight (averaged).
Not disputing the point...

But I don't think ORD changed. I presume the .5 you reference was the now discontinued flight 805. That was one of the three-class flights, with no "F". So I don't think ORD went from 9 to 6. I think they just stayed at 6.

But what it would've caused is a substantial drop in the availability of J redemptions, pushing some award PAX up to F. (I do that when using AsiaMiles... F is way overpriced in that currency, so I do J whenever I can. When using AA miles... F is a sweet deal.)
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by woow14610
Folks....

I appreciate your help as I am new to CX reservations. I started reading thread extensively but what I am not sure if I am late to do my reservations.

I am looking to fly ROC-CMB via BKK (layover here for about 4 days) So I am trying to find 2 F seats in Dec 12th leaving ROC and leaving BKK on 17th. I am currently stuck and do not see any options...does seats become available later or should I drop my hopes?
I don't see anything out of ROC but out of New York there are economy seats available as well as 1 seat in JL F to BKK.

Most popular routes to BKK or HKG are snapped up either 330 days out or within a couple weeks of flight, when CX releases its remaining inventory (if there is any). I would not give up but would look for other options like flying in J or even booking Y then hoping to get the premium cabin as it becomes available.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Married Segments

Have award space in J & F PVG-HKG-SFO on KA/CX. When I booked this CX used "married segments" so that space was available PVG-HKG-SFO but not HKG-SFO. I saw that there were many PVG-HKG flights that were part of a "married segment" to the HKG-SFO flight. It wasn't until after I booked the space and was ticketed that I learned that PVG-HKG flights are notoriously late by hours. I would like to take an earlier PVG-HKG flight but F is no longer available HKG-SFO. I'm afraid that if I try to change the PVG-HKG flight that it will detect "unmarried segments" and cancel my F space from HKG-SFO. Has anyone ever tried to do this before and been successful without encountering major problems?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) award - questions, availability

If you are ticketed you should be fine making changes.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Just to confirm, if I am ticketed on SIN-HKG-LAX, where only that route was available when I booked and not HKG-LAX, then it is safe to do s "drop-hold" to wind up with just HKG-LAX?

I'm a little nervous about the "should be ok" instead of "will be ok", so hoping for someone with recent experience.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by beachfan
Just to confirm, if I am ticketed on SIN-HKG-LAX, where only that route was available when I booked and not HKG-LAX, then it is safe to do s "drop-hold" to wind up with just HKG-LAX?

I'm a little nervous about the "should be ok" instead of "will be ok", so hoping for someone with recent experience.
I read somewhere on this forum that if you cancel part of a married connection, that the transpacific segment will come back as cancelled. That's why I'm a little afraid of just changing my connecting flight to an earlier one.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I read somewhere on this forum that if you cancel part of a married connection, that the transpacific segment will come back as cancelled. That's why I'm a little afraid of just changing my connecting flight to an earlier one.
That's true if it hasn't been ticketed yet. I've dropped/modified/added married segments over a dozen times post-ticketing. Never a problem.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:35 am

I tried it once - reservation canceled. It's a risk.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by bmchris
I think the key is to have it ticketed, then you can start messing around (EXP members are at a distinct advantage in this regard)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by bmchris
How long after ticketing? I typically wait about a week. Are you sure you were ticketed? I've added international legs from HKG, I've taken them off, I've changed them from BKK to SIN. Basically, I book JFKHKG 330 days out and then as the year progresses, decide where in Asia we feel like going. NEVER had a problem.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:48 am

I should clarify. This was before ticketing.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
How long after ticketing? I typically wait about a week. Are you sure you were ticketed? I've added international legs from HKG, I've taken them off, I've changed them from BKK to SIN. Basically, I book JFKHKG 330 days out and then as the year progresses, decide where in Asia we feel like going. NEVER had a problem.
What do you do with final leg of the flight? The JFK-HKG-final leg? Do you do a change destination, which will incur a fee if non-AA status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.