Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, HH GLD, MR PLT, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by bernardd
It would certainly be AA and Citi's fault if they offered inducements to use their service and failed to reasonably deliver on the promise.

Legally there's a line that's very hard to measure because the FF schemes are so opaque but beyond which they're engaging in deception.

Practically, if they make the 'reward' too hard to obtain the word will get around and the value of the inducement will fall. My hunch is we're entering that phase now.
I agree with your points, especially the last one, but my point is people need to be flexible with awards.

I am looking at award ticket for 1 in J in Oct '15 from DFW-LHR, there is saver award availability with 1 stop in Boston and horrible times, but its there. So do I take the time off for work or spend the extra miles to redeem anytime award.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MannyCPA
Searching through my posts and profile is appetizer. Don't assume my naivety here is indicative of my travel experience or speaks to my chops. Sure I'm new to the card game, but I'm currently Marriott and Starwood Platinum, and was recently a former United 1K and American Platinum.

When I had this status it was much easier to redeem discounted awards. Now? Seems impossible. I guess I could travel domestically, go to South America or Asia, but that's not where my heart strings are pulling me to.
And to go where you want to go will cost more now and, in the future, a heck of a lot more.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Searching through my posts and profile is appetizer. Don't assume my naivety here is indicative of my travel experience or speaks to my chops. Sure I'm new to the card game, but I'm currently Marriott and Starwood Platinum, and was recently a former United 1K and American Platinum.

When I had this status it was much easier to redeem discounted awards. Now? Seems impossible. I guess I could travel domestically, go to South America or Asia, but that's not where my heart strings are pulling me to.
There is no doubt it used to be easier to find milesaver awards - but as several people have posted here - they are still available, its a matter of looking and being flexible.

Still - if I were sitting on that many miles and wanted to go to Europe and didn't want to spend the time looking or be flexible w/my dates/routings then I'd book anytime awards and be done w/it.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jan 4, 2015 at 2:30 pm
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
I'm sitting on 1.4M AA points, and I've NEVER been able to find AA metal or non-BA business saver awards to Europe.
They're available as First Class MilageSAAvers, I checked May 2015, AA Metal TPA-MAD in First. If you have 1.4M miles, I would have just gone in first----why bother to insist on business.

For September to TPA-CDG, they are there in business. Instantly, I found the 10th to the 25th on AA metal as a Business MileSAAver. Tweek it around, and there are so many other options available just in case. And when in doubt, just go in First.

Good Luck!

Spock Seat @:-)
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP

Do you agree then, that the massive AA points racked up by MS hobbyists, such as you are, has an impact on available AA saver business awards? Back in the days that you more easily found saver awards, the whole MS hobby did not even exist. And since you are easily racking up hundreds of thousands of miles through MS, why is it that important to insist on discounted awards?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dickinson

Do you agree then, that the massive AA points racked up by MS hobbyists, such as you are, has an impact on available AA saver business awards? Back in the days that you more easily found saver awards, the whole MS hobby did not even exist. And since you are easily racking up hundreds of thousands of miles through MS, why is it that important to insist on discounted awards?
One word. GREED.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM

What you call "the card game" is 90% of the problem. No sympathy here. Book AAnytime awards - you are the reason why there's seldom anything else available.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
What you call "the card game" is 90% of the problem.
That's a huge, huge overstatement.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:45 pm

What you call "the card game" is 90% of the problem. No sympathy here. Book AAnytime awards - you are the reason why there's seldom anything else available.
Fair enough. I'll accept that.

Curious to see what you folks would say if I was AA Platinum and I was unable to book any flights (the former being the case just a couple years ago).

My current game may contribute heavily to the problem, but let's not forget the tough miles I put in before switching jobs (which actually inspired the cards game).
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
What you call "the card game" is 90% of the problem.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's a huge, huge overstatement.
I'd call it rhetorical flourish. But I do think OP's sense of victimhood is misplaced.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'd call it rhetorical flourish. But I do think OP's sense of victimhood is misplaced.
I'd argue that anyone who feels "victimized" (including those who earn all their miles by flying) had unrealistic expectations of the program.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Curious to see what you folks would say if I was AA Platinum and I was unable to book any flights.
It would make no difference to me -

Last edited by bdemaria; Jan 4, 2015 at 5:20 pm
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
It would make no difference to me -
Not sure I believe that.

You folks have a clear bias towards those who earned miles the hard way (flying) vs the easy way (cards). I just happened to have done both.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure I believe that.

You folks have a clear bias towards those who earned miles the hard way (flying) vs the easy way (cards). I just happened to have done both.

Review this thread - I have made no comments whatsoever about how you earned your miles and/or your status.

I have, however, noted that there are milesaaver awards to Europe available in your time frame.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Ahhhhh, the search for scapegoats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.