Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Originally Posted by freyguy50
Last week the saver awards were all over the place, now the category doesn't even come up. I have no idea what is going on.
I just spent an hour coming to exactly the same conclusion. Have been looking for IAH-DFW-ROW, originally via BA site (my usual home), and then looked on AA. Yesterday there were several options at 9k BA/12.5k AA, today went back to book one, and all gone. Have I been April Fool-ed?

I will be keeping an eye on this thread as I'd be keen to know if this is a glitch, or a deliberate move.

If it's deliberate then I for one, will feel somewhat disappointed after falling for the recent AA promo campaign of "Buy miles and get get huge numbers of bonus miles". It would be a pretty sharp practice to entice customers to buy 000's of miles up front, and then devalue them so soon afterwards.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by loosehead
I just spent an hour coming to exactly the same conclusion. Have been looking for IAH-DFW-ROW, originally via BA site (my usual home), and then looked on AA. Yesterday there were several options at 9k BA/12.5k AA, today went back to book one, and all gone. Have I been April Fool-ed?
Same thing happened to me. Saw several options for SAAver awards on Monday, and then on Tuesday they disappeared for all dates as far in the future as I've been able to check. Very, very strange. I really hope it's just a glitch that will be fixed shortly.

Is there anyone at AA that would be useful to talk to to report or ask about this? I'm not interested in calling if the rep is just going to give me the speech about award availability being subject to change.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: American Airlaines, Delta SkyMiles, United, BA, HH, Marriott, SPG, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Yosef
Seems American Eagle availability is an issue.
That is an interesting point... All flights from FSD require an American Eagle flight first... Maybe the issue is with them specifically
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: American Airlaines, Delta SkyMiles, United, BA, HH, Marriott, SPG, Priority Club
Originally Posted by freyguy50
Last week the saver awards were all over the place, now the category doesn't even come up. I have no idea what is going on.

From FSD or were you searching other flights?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:26 am

American Eagle out of LaGuardia for me.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:37 am

Similar thing for me. Flights from FCO to MEM included about 10 different MileSAAVer options for the past couple of weeks. I checked yesterday afternoon...still there. Checked late last night a little before midnight...poof! all gone! Still gone this morning. Same goes for MEM to MXP via MIA...gone! ExpertFlyer showed 7 class T tickets yesterday.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, HGP Diamond, HH Gold, Marriott, CC Gold, SPG
it probably is American Eagle Related. I just booked two flights ORD - CDG saver awards for thanksgiving direct flights for 40,000 round trip on AA metal. Pretty stoked since the cash outlay was only 80$ per ticket.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:11 am

Looks like they're back. Must have been a temporary glitch.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JTravers
Thanks for reporting back.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:25 am

Wooo-Hooo!!! That is great news! Sigh of relief!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not so great news, but not as bad as it was looking last night/earlier today,

MileSAAver seats on these routes are indeed back, but they've wiped out most of the SAAver space on the routes I had been looking into for travel to/from ORD. It's like this: after they zeroed out MileSAAver space, they now have trickled back a very small fraction of the MileSAAver space that was there a few days ago. It seems like there was some kind of deliberate change made to substantially reduce MileSAAver space, and this "temporary glitch" of zero MileSAAver space on some routes was affiliated with this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 1, 2015 at 11:29 am
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Yup, thanks for update. So it was some kind of glitch.

Disappointment avoided.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by drron
Not only short haul.2-3 times ayear we would get 2 sAAver awards in F NRT-USA-NRT.For over 12 months all F and J sAAver awards disappeared except for an occasional one 2-3 weeks out from date of travel.
recently though a single J sAAver award per flight has appeared 10-11 months out.Never 2 though.Hopefully it is the start of better availability.
With AAnytime awards the value per point with a redemption is less than the price AA sells miles.So I have stopped buying miles.
I saw a few F and J seats on that route and HKG-DFW available for next Feb. When I tried to book the suddenly the seats were no longer available. This message pops up:
"The flight you selected is no longer available. Please modify your request."
They show up on the calendar as being there but they can't actually be booked. Looks like bait and switch going on.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:45 pm

business saver non-stop awards no more?

A gripe: Since the merger there have been no DFW-Hawaii (HNL, OGG, LIH) non-stops listed for business saver awards...I used to be able to pull the non stop flight through UsAir's site and even through AA's. Before the merger they made it available quite often...now it's gone and to make things worse they are using AS and HA metal mixed with AA on most every route I've checked, adding long layovers and out of the way routings, along with crappy 738's instead of better long haul planes...The UsAir flight through Phoenix is still running, and as close to a non-stop as you can get to/from DFW, but it too is only available at premium first class redemptions....so is this the new normal? instead of paying 75K roundtrip for business saver and getting a lie down first class seat....we have to pay 67.5K, 90K, or 120K each way for it now?!......so disappointing
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
First question, when are you trying to go?

Also, prior to the merger, I tried many times to use miles to go on the non-stop out of DFW and never found availability at lower award levels. So not a merger thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.