Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
At what point does it become deceptive advertising if sAAver C/F inventory is never available on many/most international routes...?
The day they eliminate AAnytime awards it would.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Didnt that happen 9 days ago?

Old Sep 10, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
What do AAnytime awards have to do with the deceptive advertising of SAAver awards?

If the whole SAAver tier doesn't exist internationally on most days and most routes, *even when the plAAnes are empty*, then it's deceptive to publish a SAAver award chart.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:49 am
Suspended

What do AAnytime awards have to do with the deceptive advertising of SAAver awards?

If the whole SAAver tier doesn't exist internationally on most days and most routes, *even when the plAAnes are empty*, then it's deceptive to publish a SAAver award chart.
No, it isn't.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:45 am

publish a SAAver award chart.
People generally don't like how Delta does this. They prefer to see the award chart, even if availability is extremely limited, or extremely non-existent.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
At what point does it become deceptive advertising if sAAver C/F inventory is never available on many/most international routes...?
Search skills, knowledge of the AAdvantage partner network, and willingness to work (or to pay somebody to do the work) are rewarded. Set some EF alerts for those 'many/most... never' routes and you might be surprised.

The DOT regulates advertisement of paid fares and elements of the air travel experience (IDB, luggage allowance disclosure) on award tickets but generally has allowed carriers to set redemption of miles according to their own terms.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:54 am
Formerly known as jlars77

Based upon the last 3 int'l award tickets I booked personally and several I'm assisting family with (AA, DL, & Aeroplan/UA), I've found partner availability to be good on the int'l segment but surprisingly ran into difficulty with the domestic leg at SAAver levels.

Specifically, almost all SAAver availability dropped off PHX-SFO in F & Y when the last system update occurred with US and AA. However, last week I received an EF alert and two seats in F had opened on my preferred domestic segment--and a quick call to AA allowed me to switch to this from a very unfavorable flight.

Although just one example (and not reflective of int'l SAAver space), I would certainly wait to pass judgment on what the "norm" is for SAAver space at least until systems are merged next month and possibly into 2016.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2Tall4Y
Based upon the last 3 int'l award tickets I booked personally and several I'm assisting family with (AA, DL, & Aeroplan/UA), I've found partner availability to be good on the int'l segment but surprisingly ran into difficulty with the domestic leg at SAAver levels.
I found the same to be true last year. I read recently that AA can actually force a seat opening if you need that last leg to complete an int'l itinerary, especially if the int'l legs are in premium cabins. I haven't tried it lately though, but it's super cheap on WN getting from DEN-LAX anyways so it's no big deal for us.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:31 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

Interesting, does this work for non-elites or lowly golds like myself? I agree I can always get to the gateway city if need be but I would personally stick with OW as it would stress me out being on another carrier. When helping the rents or in-laws I certainly want to get them all on one PNR.

BTW, finding domestic saver space on UA (via Aeroplan) makes AA availability seem generous!

Originally Posted by Superorb
I found the same to be true last year. I read recently that AA can actually force a seat opening if you need that last leg to complete an int'l itinerary, especially if the int'l legs are in premium cabins. I haven't tried it lately though, but it's super cheap on WN getting from DEN-LAX anyways so it's no big deal for us.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superorb
I found the same to be true last year. I read recently that AA can actually force a seat opening if you need that last leg to complete an int'l itinerary, especially if the int'l legs are in premium cabins....
Originally Posted by 2Tall4Y
Interesting, does this work for non-elites or lowly golds like myself? ...
It's called TCI (To Complete Itinerary) but, unfortunately, like so many things AAdv lately, getting it done successfully would be by far the minority experience.

You can see mention of it here:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/showp...&postcount=151

But, again, expectation of success with same should be very, very modest.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'm seeing very good J availability on JFK-ZRH-JFK in late June-July 2016 (as in, wide open dates for J=1), plus West Coast connections (LAX, SEA).

Availability out of AMS isn't QUITE as good, but still pretty good.

Given that ZRH/AMS means you avoid the APD in LHR, CDG and FRA/MUC... ^

It would seem that we don't have to rend garments and don sackcloth and ashes about AAdvantage... yet. Get it while it's hot.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:15 pm

Any one had any luck with expanded inventory for EXP getting MileSaaver space on long haul to NRT or Europe F/J?

What about MileSaaver seats in F/J to NRT or trans-Atlantic long haul?
I've checked the entire schedule for LAX-NRT and DFW-NRT and there was no MileSaaver in F or J for 330 days.

Same for other long haul destinations.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by chuck1
I've checked the entire schedule for LAX-NRT and DFW-NRT and there was no MileSaaver in F or J for 330 days.

And yet the defenders say that it's not deceptive on AA's part to tell people that something exists that, as of now, doesn't exist on many AA metal routes...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:38 am

And yet the defenders say that it's not deceptive on AA's part to tell people that something exists that, as of now, doesn't exist on many AA metal routes...
Please quote (and link) to a clear AA statement that saaver awards will always be available on all AA metal routes. I've long looked for such a statement (in order to challenge AA), but have never found it.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Originally Posted by chuck1
Any one had any luck with expanded inventory for EXP getting MileSaaver space on long haul to NRT or Europe F/J?

What about MileSaaver seats in F/J to NRT or trans-Atlantic long haul?

Yes, through multiple calls, while holding an AAnytime award as backup, I recently got LAX to NRT on JAL in J for 50k on the 788. Thought that was a "win". As has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, getting the domestic connection to LAX in SAAver was difficult, but ultimately successful on Alaska, not AA. Go figure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.