Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:36 pm

anytime...I plan a trip starting with air. I have searched from 3 weeks out until last available date, and have found nothing. I was looking just before they shut usair down and found many days of the week available with flight 7 out of DFW, available in early April, May, as well as later in the year (Sept). Availability was not a problem then, it was more of a problem getting the right 2 week timing between flights to make for a good 2 week vacation. I had a working itinerary flying into OGG (nonstop on flight 7), catch a island hopper, and return from HNL...now most outbound business saver flights are through Phoenix...not horrible, but it adds 2 hours to a long flight anyway.
Coming back from HNL used to be the easy part, but now seems to be a crapshoot of long layovers and routings through SEA or SFO on HA or Alaska airlines mixed with AA and virtually no UsAir flights back....P.S. I guess they are not completely gone as I just found DFW-OGG 8/11 in business saver. I swear from the time AA took over booking until I looked tonight, all availability was gone for the year. One flight in the next 4 months is nothing like what used to be available, but at least it gives me hope....If my wife's work schedule would have permitted, I would have booked before AA took total control and we would be there now.
Looking closer the Aug 11 non stop only has 1 seat, but there is availability nonstop to/from OGG in early 2016....I just hate having to plan a year out to get a non stop flight....It didn't use to be that way!!

Last edited by wise2u; Apr 15, 2015 at 10:50 pm Reason: new info
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Is it really any worse than it was pre-merger? It's always been the case that I'd search for awards and would get excited when I see SAAver availability. But then I see the limited flight options for those awards and would be disappointed. I don't think this is a new phenomenon. If you want better times, better connections, or no connections at all, you pony up more miles.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:58 pm

yes it is much worse. I was always able to find nonstop offered before AA assumed booking command. I just searched DFW to OGG and HNL again tonight and all non stops business savers are gone from the calendar again....to have 20 dates with non stops in feb and march 2016 yesterday and none today? Its one thing to have to struggle to get a working itinerary with limited availability. It's another when they take all non stop options off the table.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:01 pm

US Airways hasn't had any nonstop saver fares in business on int'l flights (i.e. to places besides the US/Canada) for over 2 months now. I had a thread about it a while back and nobody seemed to care. Not sure why...
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:51 pm

FWIW, on the routes I fly, SAAver availability has been better this month than any time in the last 6 months. I think it is highly route-dependent.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:34 am

I agree I have been flying Los Angeles to Shanghai for "plan ahead " miles of 135,000 round trip for ten years now. "anytime miles" for double 270,000. Now all that is available is 420,000 first class. and to make it worse the website shows maybe 180,000 for one way then when you click on it and it send you to the ticket it changes to 210,000. This guy Parker has devalued our miles by over 60%. being a lifetime Platinum member is worthless on AA now. I have recently gone to Delta for this flight a little longer by 4 hours but can book a round trip for 180,000, so my credit card of choice now is AE not Citibank. I think Citibank got the shaft by AA
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:48 am

In my experience, nonstop 767 Dallas to Maui (DFW to OGG) are VERY VERY hard to get business sAAver seats even when planning way far ahead. There's only one a day, 1/2 as many as to HNL, and I heard that there's a 3rd HNL flight from DFW added for some days this Summer. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...o-ord-hnl.html

Bottom line is you have to look early and be flexible with dates. Book to HNL and you should at least find 2 Business sAAver seats if your dates are flexible and you're early. If you're not flexible, require DFW-OGG and can't use HNL and do an inter-islan hop, or are looking close in, you've been out of luck for a long time, not due to merger.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:51 am

plan ahead are gone on lax-pvg. anytime are now triple to four times as much. Parker did us in!!!
Old May 9, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: SPG
No availability at coach saver level for DFW-LIM in 2016?

Hello,

I've booked a couple of seats for March 2016 about 10 days ago at 330 days out, and there was decent availability 2-3 flights a week from January till March with no availability for maybe a week or two. About 4-5 days ago I looked again, and now there is no availability at coach saver level for DFW-LIM in 2016 at all.

Does anyone know why and if it is common to remove saver level awards and than put them back later?

I am sure not all economy saver level got booked up in a few days. The reason I'm asking I would like to book another award ticket, but if it does not come back - not a big deal.

Thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; May 10, 2015 at 2:56 pm Reason: Restore original post title after merge
Old May 10, 2015, 7:08 am

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
No AA Saver awards at all? DCA-LIM

Looks like something might be up with the AA award bookings -- looking at DCA-LIM, there's not a single Saver award in any class on any day, ever. Clearly that's not right. . .but the Anytime awards are all showing with their variable rates.

Anyone else encountering this on other routes?
Old May 10, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
It is tough to find award space on many of the South American routes, particularly beyond 1 month out from desired departure date. LIM is particularly bad though unfortunately. Try looking just MIA-LIM, or DFW-LIM, to see if awards are available and then maybe you could consider PHL or another airport (I think putting in DCA will also search BWI and IAD automatically and you haven't found anything there), depending how much you need to go.
Old May 10, 2015, 7:31 am

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
It is tough to find award space on many of the South American routes, particularly beyond 1 month out from desired departure date. LIM is particularly bad though unfortunately. Try looking just MIA-LIM, or DFW-LIM, to see if awards are available and then maybe you could consider PHL or another airport (I think putting in DCA will also search BWI and IAD automatically and you haven't found anything there), depending how much you need to go.
Normally, I'd get what you're saying, however I guess my point is that this appears to be a technical problem more than anything -- there's not a single Saver award, in any class, for any day between now and the end of the calendar from DCA or BWI.

I'd wager that's either a loading problem or a technical issue or something more nefarious but not a general availability problem.
Old May 10, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by GloverParker
Normally, I'd get what you're saying, however I guess my point is that this appears to be a technical problem more than anything -- there's not a single Saver award, in any class, for any day between now and the end of the calendar from DCA or BWI.

I'd wager that's either a loading problem or a technical issue or something more nefarious but not a general availability problem.
On many other routes I would agree, but I recall looking in the past and seeing a similar lack of availability to LIM. And this also occurs with other SA routes as well; MIA-MVD currently has no saver coach awards in either direction on any date, and no business saver seats more than about 30-45 days from departure.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I'm siding with this being a glitch or a deliberate effort to remove all LIM availability, as there's good availability to other South/Central American destinations at the moment. About a month ago, the LIM flights from DFW and MIA were *wide* open in Y, and I held many tickets while making plans to take advantage of the off-peak pricing. 15K to LIM is unbeatable.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:08 pm

Must be a glitch. I witnessed how all availability MIA-MVD and return disappeared a few days ago, for the whole 330 days period. In my experience, this is the first time in at least 10 years I've seen that.

That's clearly a very low award availability route, but say, a week ago, there was availability for every day for Oct and Nov.

ElDie

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.