Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
From DFW, I currently have 5 one ways to/from Paris in F/J in July and Germany (one to FRA in J, two via LHR in F) in October.
That's impressive on AA metal. Maybe I need to move to Dallas. I struggle to get just one free seat out of NYC in J or F TATL let alone any evip upgrades esp. when traveling with the mrs. anymore internationally. How far out are you looking / booking these? Maybe I need to plan ahead more!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
They want you to pay their new "variable" AAnytime award rates.
Letting seats go empty rather than releasing award space predates the new "variable" AAnytime awards by quite some time.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I've booked over the past 2-3 months.

CDG-DFW was on US through PHL, but a schedule change let me switch to the non-stop. However, DFW availability is by no means a sure thing. Other gateways are often easier. And you have to be really flexible on dates.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:09 pm

Sorry - checked on March 23 for March 23.
I've edited original post.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
For 2015, I have booked:

DFW-EZE U (2; expanded availability)
EZE-DFW U (2; expanded availability)
ORD-LHR Z (2)
BCN-JFK U (2)
LAX-LHR Z
LHR-LAX Z

Also seen lots of Z to LHR recently on AA metal. Mainly 777 out of ORD or DFW, but some 77W out of JFK, DFW, MIA and LAX.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1
Sorry - checked on March 23 for March 23.
I've edited original post.
Thanks. Maybe now people can try to actually answer your question instead of trying to play "gotcha".

I've only looked at this on domestic flights (JFK->LAX/SFO), and have generally seen good close-in availability in three-class F. Not sure if RM treats international flights differently for these purposes, though.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:15 am

Well - I'd love to hear some positive reports esp JFK-LHR and DFW-LHR within a week or 72 hours prior where F is 7+ and Z is >0 with or without expanded EXP inventory.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
How about eleven days?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: American Airlaines, Delta SkyMiles, United, BA, HH, Marriott, SPG, Priority Club
MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

First time searching for award flights in the past week and I am shocked to see that suddenly there is literally no Saver level awards to or from FSD to ANYWHERE. The only direct flights from FSD are to ORD or DFW and I have looked out through the end of schedule and not a single saver award exists for econ or bus/1st which means there is no saver availability to any other destination since all routes go through one of those 2.

Anybody else seeing any issues like this since US/AA programs combined???
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would be surprised if AA actually eliminated Saver Awards, especially from a small outstation.

Rather, Savers have become largely what all awards were back when AA started the whole concept of an FFP. Namely excess capacity which AA cannot otherwise sell. Reduced capacity, better economy leads to more demand and higher prices, whether cash or awards.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:36 pm

Seems American Eagle availability is an issue.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:53 pm

No 12.5k awards, but a handful of 20k awards. I wonder if this is a ploy to hide awards from British Airways, where members can book short Eagle flights (including FSD-ORD) for 4.5k Avios points.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There are short-haul domestic AA routes where AA no longer offers any economy class award space for less than 20,000 miles one-way -- these being routes where AA now frequently wants 30,000 or 50,000 miles each way when the 20,000 miles one-way aren't there. That is for trips that are well within 500 miles.

AA has definitely done something that guts the award availability on short-haul flights, at least relative to what was the case at the start of March. DL too played a game with award space/pricing which cut availability of award space using partner airline miles for DL flights, but even that draconian change by DL didn't so drastically hit customers this year unless you were booking within 21 days of departure. AA seems to sort of done worse in some ways (than DL) to make it more difficult to get value out of redeeming partner airline miles for AA metal flights, but still not sure what all to make of this.

Hopefully this is a temporary glitch on the AA end (and limited to routes where American Eagle is running the show) and not a sign of what to expect from AA (whether using AA miles or partner airline miles/points for AA flights). Time will tell.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 1, 2015 at 2:37 am
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Not only short haul.2-3 times ayear we would get 2 sAAver awards in F NRT-USA-NRT.For over 12 months all F and J sAAver awards disappeared except for an occasional one 2-3 weeks out from date of travel.
recently though a single J sAAver award per flight has appeared 10-11 months out.Never 2 though.Hopefully it is the start of better availability.
With AAnytime awards the value per point with a redemption is less than the price AA sells miles.So I have stopped buying miles.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Jeremyh11
First time searching for award flights in the past week and I am shocked to see that suddenly there is literally no Saver level awards to or from FSD to ANYWHERE. The only direct flights from FSD are to ORD or DFW and I have looked out through the end of schedule and not a single saver award exists for econ or bus/1st which means there is no saver availability to any other destination since all routes go through one of those 2.

Anybody else seeing any issues like this since US/AA programs combined???
Last week the saver awards were all over the place, now the category doesn't even come up. I have no idea what is going on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.