Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post-2015 AAdvantage merger

Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:29 pm

Because they don't. When is the last time you saw a reasonable amount of seats at the lowest level on a trans-Atlantic flight in first or business?

Why even bother to have a Plan AAhead level if you have a unpublished blackout for 99% of the year on premium trans-Atlantic seats?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

F7(+) = Z0 on day of departure..the new normal?

They want you to pay their new "variable" AAnytime award rates.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Not new, been this way for a long time now.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
It definitely helps out the non-revs at the airport. On my last flight in International F, the cabin had a dad (employee) with his wife and three kids, total of 5 seats that did not go to revenue customers. They snagged the seats a couple of days in advance for a weekend getaway to Europe. (I got to chatting with the dad and he explained how he was able to take all 5 of them in First.)

Z seats might be released closer to departure date (sometimes just hours before departure). I have seen F4 A4 Z1 on day of departure in the past. This way, at least AA is better than carriers such as QF which releases a few premium award seats on its flights at 330 days, and when those seats are gone, that's it! (and I imagine plenty of nonrevving employees end up in the premium cabins as well)

Last edited by ESpen36; Mar 23, 2015 at 11:05 pm
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by ESpen36
This way, at least AA is better than carriers such as QF which releases a few premium award seats on its flights at 330 days, and when those seats are gone, that's it!
FWIW, QF do periodically release premium award seats. Perhaps I should rephrase that: QF premium award seats do become available periodically after 330 days. It is, of course, possible that those were awards that people booked and subsequently cancelled (since, up until recently at least, cancelled awards immediately showed back up in award inventory).
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP needs to set some ExpertFlyer alerts. Travel is still eight weeks away. Seats get released on routes on alleged 'impossible' routes all the time.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec. Plat.)
It definitely helps out the non-revs at the airport. On my last flight in International F, the cabin had a dad (employee) with his wife and three kids, total of 5 seats that did not go to revenue customers. They snagged the seats a couple of days in advance for a weekend getaway to Europe. (I got to chatting with the dad and he explained how he was able to take all 5 of them in First.)
He probably didn't explain it well, but non-revs don't "snag" anything days in advance at AA other than making a listing. The gate agent will confirm them on the flight at the gate as seats are available.

This issue here is how RM wants to sell the seats. Don't blame the nonrevs for taking advantage of the empty seats if they don't sell through cash or miles.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:25 am

MilesAAver TATL in C and F doesn't really exist anymore IMOO - and hasn't for awhile. I still setup EF alerts but don't hold my breath. Just do a month view award search RDU-LHR from today and select the non-stop option. Nothing in Business or First at Saver level even midweek.

Checking JFK-LHR (more frequency) most of availability is just BA flights with charge the co-pay. I'm no fan of UA but at least they normally open up more seats last minute.

I'd be more interested to hear success stories of people getting milesaaver C and F on transatlantic flights. Anyone have luck lately and on what routes?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
I recently snagged F seats on JFK-LHR for August vacation season after stalking them for some time. They do get made available, but they go quickly.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist

Z seats might be released closer to departure date (sometimes just hours before departure). I have seen F4 A4 Z1 on day of departure in the past. This way, at least AA is better than carriers such as QF which releases a few premium award seats on its flights at 330 days, and when those seats are gone, that's it! (and I imagine plenty of nonrevving employees end up in the premium cabins as well)
That is not how non-reving works. I doubt the employee explained it that way you describe, and if so, then he clearly himself doesn't understand how non-rev works. The fact that he was able to get those seats (assigned at the gate before departure) is that Revenue management believed it could have sold those seats, or gotten paid upgrades until the moment of departure.

The milesaaver seats in F/C are likely only released far out in the extreme trough periods, which thanks to the JB for TATL travel, may not exist anymore.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:51 am

Any where is the supposed extra inventory for EXP in Z/U?
I've had EXP agents do numerous searches for TATL Z/U and it matches exactly with AA.COM - that is - NADA.

They themselves tell me it isn't really there for TATL premium to LHR. Sometimes only in C. Furthermore, one told me they were recently yelled at by the RM analyst for calling about LHR 10 days out. They were told don't even ask about LHR until with 4 days.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I don't understand the original post. It talks about "Day of Departure" for flights on May 23. Bottom line is that J seats for business travel are often booked 2-3 weeks up to a few days and sometimes even closer to day of flight. And AA needs to accommodate premium tickets in case of IRROPS or flight changes.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
I'd be more interested to hear success stories of people getting milesaaver C and F on transatlantic flights. Anyone have luck lately and on what routes?
From DFW, I currently have 5 one ways to/from Paris in F/J in July and Germany (one to FRA in J, two via LHR in F) in October.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I don't understand the original post. It talks about "Day of Departure" for flights on May 23. Bottom line is that J seats for business travel are often booked 2-3 weeks up to a few days and sometimes even closer to day of flight. And AA needs to accommodate premium tickets in case of IRROPS or flight changes.
Hmm. Was posted on March 23 DFW time. Do you think it's more likely that: a) OP can't tell the difference between today and two months for now, or b) OP accidentally typed "May" instead of "March"?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
Hmm. Was posted on March 23 DFW time. Do you think it's more likely that: a) OP can't tell the difference between today and two months for now, or b) OP accidentally typed "May" instead of "March"?
Beats me. I don't try to read minds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.