Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by zdfld
If I book a basic economy ticket AA marketed, BA operated, do I earn elite miles? AA website shows it as a L fare for both BE and Main. (Compared to B fare for BE on the AA operated flights).

I'm actually crediting it to AS, but figured this forum may have more knowledge on how this works in general. L fare would be a nice 100%, and BE is $570 vs $645 for main.
if you are sure you are getting getting L fare for AA marketed/issued ticket than you earn 100% elite miles on Alaska per their “Earn on AA” chart
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines

you can also call AA and ask to confirm what fare class code is for your itin. If they confirm it’s L than you will earn 100% elite miles for those segments that are in L. If it’s booked in B then you have 24 hours to cancel for a full refund
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:54 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
[QUOTE=Mwenenzi;33340078]With OW you earn based on the marketing carrier, if an eligible operating carrier.
You need to check the AS web site for L on AA.

Ah, I meant L fare on AA marketed flights earns 100% EQM on AS. My query is that while the AA website is selling a L fare for this BA flight, AA is also "marketing" the codeshare as basic economy. My bad for not being clear the first time.

With a dummy booking, AAdvantage shows no miles earned (Even though L fare normally earns EQM) . But I'm not sure if the system's really communicate that info to the partner programs. If all AS sees is "L", I feel like I should be in the clear, but was hoping for some real world experience. I appreciate the help though!
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15
if you are sure you are getting getting L fare for AA marketed/issued ticket than you earn 100% elite miles on Alaska per their “Earn on AA” chart
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines

you can also call AA and ask to confirm what fare class code is for your itin. If they confirm it’s L than you will earn 100% elite miles for those segments that are in L. If it’s booked in B then you have 24 hours to cancel for a full refund
Thanks, and yeah, I might end up doing a full booking and calling in. The AA site previews it as earning no miles, even though L fares earn EQM on AA, so I'm a tad concerned the L fare designation comes with a pesky asterisk
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:57 pm

[QUOTE=zdfld;33340104]
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
With OW you earn based on the marketing carrier, if an eligible operating carrier.
You need to check the AS web site for L on AA.

Ah, I meant L fare on AA marketed flights earns 100% EQM on AS. My query is that while the AA website is selling a L fare for this BA flight, AA is also "marketing" the codeshare as basic economy. My bad for not being clear the first time.

With a dummy booking, AAdvantage shows no miles earned (Even though L fare normally earns EQM) . But I'm not sure if the system's really communicate that info to the partner programs. If all AS sees is "L", I feel like I should be in the clear, but was hoping for some real world experience. I appreciate the help though!
very interesting. Sounds like a glitch in the system. Never encountered basic economy sold as L. I wonder what code would show up in the confirmation email after it’s ticketed if you finished dummy booking and cancelled few min later.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 11:30 pm

[QUOTE=gateH15;33340108]
Originally Posted by zdfld
very interesting. Sounds like a glitch in the system. Never encountered basic economy sold as L. I wonder what code would show up in the confirmation email after it’s ticketed if you finished dummy booking and cancelled few min later.
Well, guess I should test it out. I tried with a hold first, just to see. Not sure if that's a bit useless or not,

Flight Selection Page:

Booking Page:

Fare Rules:

Confirmation of Hold Email:
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 7:26 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
AA only sells basic economy into B on its own metal. For flights on BA/IB/AY, Basic Economy sells into the same fare class as Main Cabin (e.g. L in this case) and is denoted by the fare type. It looks like AA's IT (or at least the codde that previews the miles) has been updated to disallow mileage earning on TATL basic economy codeshare fares operated by partners.

Unfortunately, this just raises more questions:

1. If you buy Basic Economy on a BA/BA transatlantic flight (it can book into any fare class), will it be elite qualifying?
2. If you buy Basic Economy on a BA*/AA transatlantic flight (it can book into any fare class), will it be elite qualifying?
3. If you buy a "Basic" fare on BA from LHR to FCO, will it be elite qualifying?
zdfld likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 5:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold
Bumping this one.

I'm AA Platinum, looking to book a LHR-JFK r/t in basic economy (I don't need the EQM/EQDs at the moment), on AA metal, marketed by BA (for the flexibility reasons here: Basic economy to US on AA metal as BA silver - any reason not to? Book as codeshare?)

I believe AA has removed the ability for BA elites to book MCE on AA metal. Would the BA ticket stock (i.e., BA codeshares for the AA flights) take away my ability to choose MCE seats for free on the AA flights if I try to choose seats (with the AA PNR) via AA website? (The MCE + baggage allowance for AA elites, even on basic econ fares, is why I'm looking to book on AA metal.)

Last edited by NYEsq; Aug 4, 2021 at 5:22 am
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
For my BA Q fare (AA metal and AA app/agents thought it was basic economy even though fare code is not B) and with my ExecPlat status, I was able to get the AA’s agent to pick seat I want on Twitter easily. Had a little problem with luggage checking in at ATH though. The check in agent kept on telling me I have to pay to check luggage, I told her I’m execPlat but she still had to call her supervisor to let me check my luggage for free. I think she was poorly trained even though she was handing the line of priority customers.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:38 pm

Curious why you were not able to get the AA PNR from BA and book seats yourself?
Old Aug 4, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
I was in this situation this summer out trip to Greece. We bought basic economy on BA because it was nearly $800/person cheaper buying via BA than AA; ironically three of our four legs ended up on AA.
As a Platinum Pro, I was able to select MCE but had to call to get the seat assignments. Despite having the AA record locator and my Advantage # on the reservation, aa.com would not provide a seatmap let alone allow for online seat selection. I was charged to check bags both ways (1st leg both ways was on AA) and was told that the ticketing rules were the determining factor, not the aircraft metal. (I DMed AA after the first flight and was told the same thing; in Athens the agent was confused as to why I was being asked to pay for luggage - he saw my status and assumed I would not have to pay).
Old Aug 4, 2021, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by stewlevine
I was in this situation this summer out trip to Greece. We bought basic economy on BA because it was nearly $800/person cheaper buying via BA than AA; ironically three of our four legs ended up on AA.
As a Platinum Pro, I was able to select MCE but had to call to get the seat assignments. Despite having the AA record locator and my Advantage # on the reservation, aa.com would not provide a seatmap let alone allow for online seat selection. I was charged to check bags both ways (1st leg both ways was on AA) and was told that the ticketing rules were the determining factor, not the aircraft metal. (I DMed AA after the first flight and was told the same thing; in Athens the agent was confused as to why I was being asked to pay for luggage - he saw my status and assumed I would not have to pay).
Thanks for the intel!

Wonder if my Citi AA card will get me 1 free checked bag in this situation....?
Old Aug 4, 2021, 1:20 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by NYEsq
Thanks for the intel!

Wonder if my Citi AA card will get me 1 free checked bag in this situation....?
No because the credit card waivers only apply to domestic bag fees (confusingly: US and Canada)
Old Aug 4, 2021, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYEsq
<snip>
I believe AA has removed the ability for BA elites to book MCE on AA metal.
<snip>
That only lasted a few weeks. Was reinstated.
--->(01 Oct 2020) AA removes free MCE seating perk for BA elites [Update : now restored]
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by VFR
No because the credit card waivers only apply to domestic bag fees (confusingly: US and Canada)
Good to know!

Sounds like basic econ across the pond is a lose lose w checked baggage. $75 x 2 flights is more than the difference in cost between basic econ and main cabin.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion
Basic Economy on TATL Flight Booked Thru Finnair

I am looking at a one way flight from MAD to JFK on September 29th operated by American Airlines but booked on Finnair's website and the cheapest option is called "Economy Light".

Am I correct in my understanding that I would have to pay American Airlines $75 to check my bag in (I don't mind doing this as I selected AA for my airlines on my Amex Platinum Card for incidental airlines fees earlier this year and have $170 left to use by the end of the year and probably won't be flying AA the rest of the year anyways)?https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

More importantly, can anyone give me any insight into how my seat assignment would work for this flight? Would I be able to pay to select a specific seat once my ticket is booked? Would I just be randomly assigned a seat at the gate and have no option at any point before my flight to pay to select a seat? Any idea from experience how much this would cost if it is an option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.