Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
2. I’m not sure what you mean by mileage upgrades are not excluded. But you cannot use miles+copay in BE tickets, elites included.
Are you reading the quote from the AA news release that I keep posting? Yet again:
To upgrade, elite members can use their 500-mile upgrade certificates, systemwide upgrade certificates or mileage award upgrades just as they do today with a Main Cabin fare.
Are you disputing that "mileage award upgrades" is AA's term for what we call miles+copay?
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold
Got some good news and some advice. Emailed customer relations and they called me later saying we will try our best to help at the airport. I said what the heck and tried my 5th agent of the day and he came up the idea of pushing my wife basic econ to econ for the fare price the day I booked as it was there mistake. He called pricing team and I paid the difference. It was nowhere near the $1600 they were asking.

I was never rude or short with any agent but between agents 1-5 i dealt with today some could care less and some went above and beyond. Really just luck and whether you have a valid argument it sometimes will stick. When an agent says they have to call their support lay it all out in the line for them so they can explain to support what your issues are.

To what others mentioned as well I would even go as far as calling 24 hours later to confirm after requested. The system accepted and then rejected our request over 24 hours later. So if I had checked I would have seen this but American has no system to tell you at the moment that your SWU status was rejected. This way you can even cancel before time is up.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:09 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Who would purchase a basic economy ticket ? 😂 That is cheap. Those fares don’t earn any EQDs etc………You’re asking for trouble if you then want to use SWUs.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:52 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Anasa Mode
He called pricing team and I paid the difference. It was nowhere near the $1600 they were asking.
How much was it?
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:53 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
Who would purchase a basic economy ticket ?
Thousands of people do every day. His spouse/spousal equivalent doesn't want EQD/EQMs so why not??
enviroian and Anasa Mode like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
How much was it?
$250! Day I booked from IAH-MAD was $450 RT for Main, $300 Basic econ, so the fact that they matched this considering the fare is $1800 today was close enough for me!
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
OneWorld Emerald Benefits in Basic Economy

I'm looking at booking a Basic Economy ticket to LIM (Lima, Peru). I am OneWorld Emerald (though Alaska).
1. Do I get to choose seats? (It seems that I can choose any non-extra legroom seat for free at booking, so I may have answered my own question. I'm not sure if this is because I entered my Alaska number in the booking process or because AA changed its Basic Economy policy.)
2. Can I check a bag for free?
3. Can I use the Flagship lounge during my connection in MIA?
Old Oct 31, 2021, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by TomA
I'm looking at booking a Basic Economy ticket to LIM (Lima, Peru). I am OneWorld Emerald (though Alaska).
1. Do I get to choose seats? (It seems that I can choose any non-extra legroom seat for free at booking, so I may have answered my own question. I'm not sure if this is because I entered my Alaska number in the booking process or because AA changed its Basic Economy policy.)
Yes x 3
Old Oct 31, 2021, 6:30 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
1. Not sure, what you see is probably what you get.
2. Yes, 3 bags.
3. Yes, and the FL/AC at your originating airport.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
I'll ask a question on the same topic but for a domestic AA part of an AY booking.
ARN-MIA-JFK-ARN
ARN-MIA AY, Business
MIA-JFK AA, Economy Basic
JFK-ARN, AY Business

For the AY segment we, 2 travelers both OW Emerald, have a checked bagage allowance iof 2 x32kg each. For the AA segment it says unknown.
After some google-time i found the print out below on aa.com. My interpretation is that we are allowed to check 2 bags each independent of our destinations since we're OW Emerald's?
The * regarding Economy Basic only applies to OW Ruby?

1st checked bag is complimentary for:

• Eligible AAdvantage® Aviator® and Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers (on domestic American Airlines operated itineraries)
  • AAdvantage® Gold
  • oneworld® Ruby
And when traveling to these destinationsExpand
  • Argentina*
  • Australia
  • Brazil*
  • Chile*
  • China
  • Colombia*
  • Ecuador*
  • El Salvador*^
  • Haiti*
  • Hong Kong
  • India
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Panama*^
  • Paraguay*
  • Peru*
  • South Korea
  • Transatlantic*
  • Uruguay*
*Excluding Basic Economy

^$0 1st bag fee applies to / from Panama for tickets issued on / before May 11, 2021. For tickets issued on / after May 12, 2021, a 1st bag fee of $30 applies to / from Panama. $0 1st bag fee applies seasonally to / from San Salvador, El Salvador for tickets issued on / before May 11, 2021. For tickets issued on / after May 12, 2021, a 1st bag fee of $30 applies year-round to / from El Salvador.

1st and 2nd checked bags are complimentary for:

• AAdvantage® Platinum
  • oneworld® Sapphire members
  • TrueBlue Mosaic members^
  • Confirmed Business customers
  • Confirmed Premium Economy customers**
^Up to 2 free checked bags with check-in at American ticket counters

**$0 2nd bag fee applies to Premium Economy customers to / from Alaska and Hawaii for tickets issued on / after February 23, 2021. For tickets issued on / before February 22, 2021, a 2nd bag fee of $40 applies to Premium Economy customers to / from Alaska and Hawaii.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...olicy.jsp#cost
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by GOTBound
I'll ask a question on the same topic but for a domestic AA part of an AY booking.
ARN-MIA-JFK-ARN
ARN-MIA AY, Business
MIA-JFK AA, Economy Basic
JFK-ARN, AY Business

For the AY segment we, 2 travelers both OW Emerald, have a checked bagage allowance iof 2 x32kg each. For the AA segment it says unknown.
On your particular itinerary, assuming that passenger is booked on a single ticket, I suspect that you'd each get two free checked bags on your AA Basic Economy flight because of this U.S. DOT rule, regardless of oneworld status:

"§ 399.87 Baggage allowances and fees.For passengers whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, U.S. and foreign carriers must apply the baggage allowances and fees that apply at the beginning of a passenger's itinerary throughout his or her entire itinerary. In the case of code-share flights that form part of an itinerary whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, U.S. and foreign carriers must apply the baggage allowances and fees of the marketing carrier throughout the itinerary to the extent that they differ from those of any operating carrier."
GOTBound likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TomA
Just a note! AA BE fares don't earn in AS Mileage Plan.

James
Old Nov 6, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: CK or bust
Don't forget that a OWE does get to sit down on a BE fare so there's that.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Using eVIP (SWU) on basic economy. For 2022+, no different from other Y fares?

Based on the new LP program, and given my understanding that eVIP can be used for basic economy fares, can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn’t purchase a Basic Economy fare to/from LHR when the C space can be confirmed at time of purchase? Assume I can make seat assignment, get standard EXP baggage allowance, etc?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: TK elite & BA Gold
When travelling on a B789 from Mexico to the US or even on a US domestic flight I could choose the seats in Premium Economy for free as a BA Emerald Card holder a couple of years ago.

What about these "upgrades" on a Basic Economy ticket now?
According to the AA website this status benefit is still valid and basic economy is not excluded.

Do they still assign a seat (because of the cheap ticket), however in the upgraded cabin category?

Or do I have to call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.