Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
But the big question is — even on a BE fare? Those limitations are what I’m worried about.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by JBauer
But the big question is — even on a BE fare? Those limitations are what I’m worried about.
If you can upgrade, there is no reason why a companion would not be able to. In fact, I believe even non-elites traveling alone can upgrade if someone is kind enough to give them an SWU.
JBauer likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
If you can upgrade, there is no reason why a companion would not be able to. In fact, I believe even non-elites traveling alone can upgrade if someone is kind enough to give them an SWU.
No, AA has said they cannot upgrade non-elites on BE fares. I’m not sure I fully understand JBauer, but I think what their liaison said was incorrect assuming there’s no elite on the PNR.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
No, AA has said they cannot upgrade non-elites on BE fares. I’m not sure I fully understand JBauer, but I think what their liaison said was incorrect assuming there’s no elite on the PNR.
Can you point me to a source? I can't find anything definitive one way or the other.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

purchasing how? You can’t upfare BE, you can’t use miles + dollars. The only thing I can think of is an in-app offer but I’m not sure if those are offered to BE or not (never booked myself)
In-app, on the website, or at the kiosk. LFBU. Plenty of options. And while they were probably not previously available to BE fares, obviously that’s the point of that announcement.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
In-app, on the website, or at the kiosk. LFBU. Plenty of options. And while they were probably not previously available to BE fares, obviously that’s the point of that announcement.
Since you can’t upfare BE, not sure how any of that would be possible.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:38 am

Can you point me to a source? I can't find anything definitive one way or the other.
right, that’s what half this thread is about. It’s not published anywhere.

When you call in to upgrade a non-status friend via an SWU, AA says they need to have status. Their website doesn’t mention this and in a few places directly contradicts it.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

right, that’s what half this thread is about. It’s not published anywhere.

When you call in to upgrade a non-status friend via an SWU, AA says they need to have status. Their website doesn’t mention this and in a few places directly contradicts it.
Here's an example (currently right below this thread):

Group 9 and Business Class

Ticket is Basic Economy. Both of us are upgraded using my status/stickers.
No reason for an SWU to be more restrictive than stickers.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:25 am

Here's an example (currently right below this thread):

Group 9 and Business Class

No reason for an SWU to be more restrictive than stickers.
Right, but they mention having status. That’s the predicament and what’s not listed anywhere on AA’s site, no status pax on BE can’t be upgraded using SWU.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:33 pm

I am concierge key, and have four family members with me on the same PNR who have no status but do have a frequent flyer accounts. I’m going to try to use upgrades, and the email I got back from them confirmed I can use them for all of us – but I still have some doubt
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by JBauer
I am concierge key, and have four family members with me on the same PNR who have no status but do have a frequent flyer accounts. I’m going to try to use upgrades, and the email I got back from them confirmed I can use them for all of us – but I still have some doubt
ill be curious the outcome. Spent several hours trying to push them but with no luck. Granted, if they budge it’ll probably be because of CK clout 😂.
JBauer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since you can’t upfare BE, not sure how any of that would be possible.
I never said upfare. You posted the link that specifically said BE can purchase an upgrade.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I never said upfare. You posted the link that specifically said BE can purchase an upgrade.
which would require a change in fare… maybe you can change the BE fare, but the language on the AA site says you cannot make changes. Either way, again, contradicting language and a simple fix to say exactly what they meant by “upgrade”.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:22 pm

Well, I have some first world experience. I called this morning and had five swu upgrades waitlisted no problem. Later today, I figured I would call back to check and ask if there’s any email or something I can get that shows we are waitlisted. The very helpful representative said to me your upgrades were kicked out of the system because they are basic economy tickets but I know that elites are eligible for upgrades on basic economy tickets so let me put swu back into your record. The problem is, it sounds like this will keep happening
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Question - why are CK's and EXP's buying BE fares? How much more is a low level coach fare?
I would not ever consider buying a BE fare.
JBauer and LowValueCustomer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.