Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
The systemwide upgrade webpage states that systemwide upgrade aren't available when you've booked "Fares ineligible for mileage credit (like award tickets)". See https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp.

For travel on or after January 1, 2021, Basic Economy fares are no longer eligible for mileage credit. See https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp.

Therefore, while taking no position on whether I agree with this or not and/or why it works for some but not others, it seems as if SWUs can no longer be used on Basic Economy fares since those fares are now ineligible for mileage credit.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Anasa Mode;[url=tel:33617960
33617960[/url]]Oh my, this just happened to me. Basic Economy booked for wife on Sept 8th, they didnt mention any issues at that time and said we were good to go. I call today and they say she is inelgible 36 hours before departure. We are in crisis mode, they want $1000 to move her fare to economy in addition to the $300 I already paid and then she might not even clear. Just tweeted at them but our honeymoon is a disaster right now!
you’re saying the elite desk applied the SWU request for her trip upon booking? did it show up on her reservation page as requested?
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
"Gold status" to use SWU

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Agent 2 - You can only upgrade people with elite status - Gold and above. If the person I was trying to upgrade would have been Gold, they would have processed the upgrade.
In today's call, the agent stated the same rule.
I could give AA Gold Status to my companion. as part of the 2022 Exp benefits.
Update: gave Gold Status to my compagnion (girlfriend), it was instantly reflected in her AA account. Then I called the AA EXP line, and they were able to apply the SWU on the BE fare.

However, AA should fix all those inconsistencies, and clearly state the requirements to use a SWU on a BE ticket.
LowValueCustomer likes this.

Last edited by zip10001; Oct 4, 2021 at 11:57 am Reason: update
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Therefore, while taking no position on whether I agree with this or not and/or why it works for some but not others, it seems as if SWUs can no longer be used on Basic Economy fares since those fares are now ineligible for mileage credit.
But AA has explicitly said that they can be used (by elites):
Since Oct. 1 [2020], elite members enjoy benefits such as priority access, upgrades privileges, access to Preferred and Main Cabin Extra Seats and same-day confirmed flight changes during their journey on Basic Economy fares.To upgrade, elite members can use their 500-mile upgrade certificates, systemwide upgrade certificates or mileage award upgrades just as they do today with a Main Cabin fare.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
The systemwide upgrade webpage states that systemwide upgrade aren't available when you've booked "Fares ineligible for mileage credit (like award tickets)". See https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp.

For travel on or after January 1, 2021, Basic Economy fares are no longer eligible for mileage credit. See https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp.

to the contrary, the BE site says the fares are upgradeable. I’m not sure how you would upgrade an international fare without a SWU or miles+cash and the miles+cash site says it excludes the BE fare leaving only SWU as a method of upgrade.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
But AA has explicitly said that they can be used (by elites):
it actually doesn’t call out elites. It says “customers” can upgrade their tickets - it doesn’t call out only elite customers. The only way to upgrade an international ticket would be a SWU.

More to Basic Economy

American is enhancing Basic Economy fares, keeping the same competitive low price, but now allowing customers to purchase products to enhance their travel experience. Customers who purchase Basic Economy tickets on Oct. 1, 2020, and beyond will be able to purchase:
  • Upgrades
  • Priority boarding
  • Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats
  • Same-day confirmed flight changes
As a reminder, American allows one personal item and one carry-on item for customers traveling on a Basic Economy ticket.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold
Not on her account, and on mine either. The agent was clearly not listening or something, they just applied it to mine when they should have attempted hers and seen that it was ineligible on September 8th. At the time she said I was good to go for both and I thought nothing of it.

I called today to see how things were going and they said mine was sent to control and oh btw your companion is ineligible LOL. $1000 to move to economy with no guarantee of clearing, racking my brain with whether to pay it or not. We paid $700 for both tickets last month.

American customer service is a real shame and gave no good options no matter the situation they just played the our hand are tied card. No option to give us credit or cover the fare for this, and I cannot cancel and rebook or the cost difference with everything is $1000+. I can fly econ in 3 days, pay the $$ or keep the swu in hope it clears and that I can at least send her to B-Class as my status is done after this year.

Last edited by Anasa Mode; Oct 4, 2021 at 10:47 am
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:27 am

If by the way it was same reservation, meaning both of us had Basic Econ, they would have upgraded us according to reply on twitter and the agent. I booked mine Main to earn EQD, wife not on any program so booked her basic. Had I booked both basic I could have paid $150 less and gotten SWU applied but now they tell me you need to pay $1000 more, YIKES what a bummer.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 11:07 am

This was apparently "Alan" the supervisor who also chastised me for being cheap, not paying the fare difference and trying to scheme AA
Basically the exact sentiment I received from the rep I spoke with was pretty much the rudest encounter I've had with a customer service environment where I'm a loyal and high $$ paying customer for all of my work travel. But heaven forbid I want to take my nephew/niece to europe on the cheap and she basically is like well Plat Exec's never book basic economy and I'm just like ...??

I specifically asked to speak to her supervisor and she told me 'we don't have managers' at the plat exec desk??
Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:14 pm

My advice to anyone is do not book Basic Economy tickets if you plan to SWU at any point, the rules are in flux constantly and the system restrictions on that type of ticket are tough for any agent to bypass.

Update on my issue also: The 4th agent I talked to really pushed hard for me, she even found where the other agent made the mistake in the system and tried with AA control team to explain what happened and clear the ticket. They simply refused to make an exception up the ladder and without the wife having status or on the same reservation just not possible to upgrade a non-elite basic econ ticket using SWU. No compensation can be offered as well, and as the 2nd and very rude agent put it, "this is a small issue so we cannot help". Mistake on my part to not research in advance and trust the agents but hopefully if you are reading this you will avoid the same mistake!
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Echoing other posters, i spoke with a nice EXP agent who pulled up the policy and read it to me, basically the companion or SWU recipient has to have any status to be able to use the upgrade. The agent made the booking in non-basic for me and processed the SWU straight away... in other news, LAX-SYD had confirmable space despite that not showing up on AA or on EF so it was all worth it in the end!
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
To sum up ... it sounds like one can use a SWU on a Basic Economy ticket IF the individual has status or is on a PNR with someone who has status. Is this the end result?

AA needs to update its various web pages to remove the inconsistencies. Nothing is more irritating than having different understandings of a policy at a company, especially among the employees at the company. We have this at work too where it seems people just make stuff up. Then, when I dig up the policy (usually an HR policy), I'm told "it has changed but we haven't published it yet" only to call their manager to find out it hasn't in fact changed.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by jmAAn
Echoing other posters, i spoke with a nice EXP agent who pulled up the policy and read it to me, basically the companion or SWU recipient has to have any status to be able to use the upgrade. The agent made the booking in non-basic for me and processed the SWU straight away... in other news, LAX-SYD had confirmable space despite that not showing up on AA or on EF so it was all worth it in the end!
This is what I think is the best approach in my opinion. You need to call to apply the SWUs anyway, so might as well have an agent take care of it all for you end-to-end. Begin the call by asking to check confirmable space, book the tickets, then apply the upgrade. I go so far as to keep them on the line until I see it all on the webpage to review myself.
...BTW, congrats on getting the confirmed upgrade on a very nice route!
Old Oct 4, 2021, 5:55 pm

the miles+cash site says it excludes the BE fare leaving only SWU as a method of upgrade.
Yes, it does appear to say that:
Upgrade with miles
Excluding award tickets and Basic Economy fare tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
However, this is contradicted for elites by the news release I quoted before (see below).
it actually doesn’t call out elites.
The page you found didn't, but mine did (with all the key phrases bolded now):
Since Oct. 1 [2020], elite members enjoy benefits such as priority access, upgrades privileges, access to Preferred and Main Cabin Extra Seats and same-day confirmed flight changes during their journey on Basic Economy fares.
To upgrade, elite members can use their 500-mile upgrade certificates, systemwide upgrade certificates or mileage award upgrades just as they do today with a Main Cabin fare.
So mileage upgrades are not excluded for elites.

Last edited by FlyingEgghead; Oct 4, 2021 at 6:05 pm
Old Oct 4, 2021, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Yes, it does appear to say that:

However, this is contradicted for elites by the news release I quoted before (see below).

The page you found didn't, but mine did (with all the key phrases bolded now):

So mileage upgrades are not excluded for elites.
we are talking about a couple of different things -

1. the news release says “customers” are eligible for upgrades on BE tickets (as does the BE site) and does not mention having to be elite.

American is enhancing Basic Economy fares, keeping the same competitive low price, but now allowing customers to purchase products to enhance their travel experience. Customers who purchase Basic Economy tickets on Oct. 1, 2020, and beyond will be able to purchase:
  • Upgrades
  • Priority boarding
  • Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats
  • Same-day confirmed flight changes
As a reminder, American allows one personal item and one carry-on item for customers traveling on a Basic Economy ticket.

2. I’m not sure what you mean by mileage upgrades are not excluded. But you cannot use miles+copay in BE tickets, elites included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.