Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
What benefits are you trying to get? Something like lounge access doesn't need to be on the same PNR, but luggage for example would only be limited to your allotment, can't combine it across PNR.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The issue here is that you would be on a regular economy ticket with him in basic economy, not the fact that you would be on separate reservations. If you were both in regular economy then it is no problem to call AA and get you seated together.

And as mentioned above the only other real benefit might be your baggage allowance, which would not carry over to another pax on a different reservation. How many bags are you trying to check? Just check both of your bags in under your name to avoid the issue all together.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 1:51 pm

American Airlines Basic Economy Questions

So I have flown many times internationally from the US to Cancun and vice versa. I would fly via Jetblue almost always back then and then when prices were higher with Jetblue, I would go with American Airlines. The last few trips I took however, has been with Delta as the price is lower.

Whether its Jetblue, American Airlines or Delta, I always booked a ticket at the lowest economy or basic economy price with any of these airlines and never had an issue. I also never had an issue where there is not enough storage space for the overhead bin. To me that is important because i do have a checked bag that i check in and also a carry on... its like a big laptop messenger bag which has my laptop... and i also have a fanny pack which is on me. So I always put the big messenger bag in overhead bin. I also know basic gets called last as well but I have no issue with that as long as I could put my carry on in overhead bin.

Is this a concern if you have a carry on luggage? I know I heard some flights announce like if you want to you check in your carry on for free, you could do that sometimes and I think they only offer that when very little overhead bin space right? My issue though is i have computer and electronics in my messenger bag and well I would not want to have it checked as my electronics would easily get damaged.

I also know there are middle seats now so flights are packed right? Anyone who took a flight with American Airlines recently had issue where there was no overhead bin space? If so, what happens then? I mean my big messenger bag could sort of fit under the person ahead of me seat but not by much etc. They won't say okay you need to check the bag right while you are already in the plane?

Now I'm planning to book a flight from Cancun to the US soon and notice for the price and time schedule I prefer, it will most likely be with American Airlines and I haven't flown with them in a few years I believe as last few times its been mostly Delta and Jetblue.

Now I took a look at the website and it says if I book a flight by the end of March for April flight, there are no fees I have to pay if I want to make a change... is that right? Example let say i want to book a flight around mid April. I book it with American Airlines and say the flight is in the middle of April. Say few days before my flight, I want to change the date to a few days later or following week. So I could do that without paying any extra fees? I know the policy before covid was you could cancel for free till midnight of next day.

Now what if I book a ticket now for mid April and few days before my flight, I notice there is a cheaper flight that I could book? Could i cancel it and rebook for the cheaper price? Also I need to book it by the end of March right since they don't allow this in April? But could you cancel your booked flight though and get credit that can be used in the future? If so, how long? Reason I ask this is because if I book the flight now with American Airlines and say a week or so later I notice a cheaper price on say Delta or Jetblue, I would obviously prefer to cancel my American Airlines flight but I assume it would be only for future credit? Also does American Airlines has that same policy with their rewards? A while back I think i lost all my points because I didn't fly with them for a while and it got expired... whereas I believe Jetblue and Delta points never expire?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 3:00 pm

American Airlines Basic Economy vs Main Cabin Seats Overhead Bins Question?

I posted this a while back in the Delta subforum here but posting it here since I will be most likely flying with American Airlines on my next flight.

I fly from US to Mexico few times and vice versa. I'm American. Also flown via domestic in the US quite a bit but its international now more. I always fly with either jetblue, american airlines or delta, depending on the price and date. Whenever i fly with jetblue, i always book the option with the seat and 1 luggage. But i notice with american airlines and delta, they have options like main cabin vs basic economy for american airlines and delta has basic and main cabin. I always booked the cheapest price with the seats and i know when you buy those seats, you basically board last.

Last time i got concerned because i heard there is a chance that there is no room to store your carry on luggage on the plane if its way too full etc. But i haven't encountered this case once though. But i recalled whether it was american airlines or delta, they did ask if anyone wanted to check in their carry on luggage... i believe free of charge? I recall they ask me if anyone wanted to and i don't think i saw anyone do that.

I will be booking an international flight from Mexico to the US soon and I wanted to know, has anyone here ever had an issue where they could not put their carry on in the bins because they are full and had to put that carry on in check in etc? My main issue with this is i have a big messenger bag which has my laptop there so obviously it being thrown around like luggage will cause damage to it. Like what happens if you board the flight and there is no space for your carry on? Do you not take a chance with American Airlines and Delta by paying more for the main seat vs the basic seat? I have no problem boarding last and whatever seat i take... like even if you said hey another $10 for a comfort seat, I wouldn't even bother because the seats to me are fine. But my main concern is if there is enough space in to put your carry on etc.

Does anyone know what percentage and how many seats in a American Airlines flight are basic economy vs main cabin?

I guess this can also apply to domestic flights as well. But is there a chance there is no space for your carry on if you are basic? I assume best way would be just line up all the way near the front for basic and that should pretty much mean you are getting place for overhead bins? Now if you are one of the last ones to board on the line, good chance there might not be any overhead bin? The thing is if i just had clothes or whatever on my big messenger bag carry on, its not big difference if they check it in etc. Thanks.

I like to add that I flown many times with Jetblue, American Airlines and Delta and not once I had an issue where there was no overhead bin storage but curious about your experiences. I know that when I flew during Covid last year and with Delta, I had no issue with paying the basic economy since there was no middle seat which would mean plenty of seats etc. But now with middle seats... any issue? Obviously you can pay the extra for it but is it necessary? On American Airlines site, it doesn't even say like guaranteed overhead bin space. Jetblue however on the site seem to stress that?
Old Mar 27, 2021, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The pricing questions are easier to answer. No change fees on BE tickets if purchased by March 31. If you cancel, you receive a credit (not a refund). If you change, you pay any additional fare due. If the fare is lower, you will receive a flight credit for the difference (not a refund). Starting on April 1, BE tickets will no longer be changeable nor will there be any refund or credit if you cancel.

There is no way to predict what will happen on some flight at some point in the future. But, the later in the process you board, the more likely that there may be no overhead space for you when you board. Thus, your larger bag will be checked at the gate and you will retrieve it at CBP after you land and your smaller bag will have to go under the seat in front of you. If it does not fit under the seat in front of you, then it too will be gate-checked. If your bag is on the margins, suggest that you have a packable nylon bag. Nothing you can do to predict this. Also worth noting that you could purchase a non-BE ticket and wind up in a high boarding group and still experience the same problem.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 4:10 pm

Okay so on the safe side, just book it by the end of this month then?

How long is the credit good for though? Is it a year or how long?

Well my laptop messenger bag is a decent size but i know it never gotten measured. I mean it could fit below the person's seat but because of how bulky it is.. because i have lot things there, would that be any issue? Now what if i have a fanny pack as well? Again those are the two items i bring with me when boarding... and of course my big luggage that is already checked so i have like three bags so to speak. One luggage that is checked... one that is my carry on... the big laptop messenger bag...and my fanny pack which is on me. So i should not have to gate check it right if no overhead bin? Note... i always put the laptop messenger bag in overhead bin and put my fanny pack so to speak under the person's chair.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 5:02 pm

The credit is good for a year from when you first purchased the ticket. The credit can be used by anyone with whom you share the code. In other words, use of the credit is not restricted to just the name of the original passenger.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many threads on basic economy tickets

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

Check-in time and tips to get best seats if ticketed in Basic Economy?
Often1 and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 5:31 pm

American Airlines Courtesy Cancellation Policy?

Will be booking an international flight in the next day or so and by the end of this month for travel in mid April back to the US.

Is the courtesy cancel with American Airlines twenty four hours from when booked? Or is it midnight of the next day? And is it eastern time or central time?

Example if i book a flight at 8pm central time today, i have till 8pm central time tomorrow to cancel or the next night midnight? I recalled I booked with one of the airlines such as Delta or Jetblue a while back where I would book a flight a bit after midnight... so imagine booking a flight on April 5 at a bit after midnight... i know i have till April 7 midnight to courtesy cancel for free as booking a flight after midnight sort of gives you an extra day.

So what is American Airlines policy on this? I think jetblue is now twenty four hours regardless but Delta is midnight of the next day?

Thus if its like Delta, i would just book it a bit after midnight to get an extra day.

Thanks.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 6:48 pm
Suspended

"Courtesy"? It is a requirement of US law!

While you should definitely read the specifics on the AA Website:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...rvice-plan.jsp

The guts of the policy are 24 hours from the time of booking, so long as booked at least 2 days in advance. There are other requirements and exceptions and thus reading the entire policy is important. Other carriers may have other features, so forget about DL's policy when not dealing with DL.
SamirD and Guate87 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerry90210
Okay so on the safe side, just book it by the end of this month then?

How long is the credit good for though? Is it a year or how long?

Well my laptop messenger bag is a decent size but i know it never gotten measured. I mean it could fit below the person's seat but because of how bulky it is.. because i have lot things there, would that be any issue? Now what if i have a fanny pack as well? Again those are the two items i bring with me when boarding... and of course my big luggage that is already checked so i have like three bags so to speak. One luggage that is checked... one that is my carry on... the big laptop messenger bag...and my fanny pack which is on me. So i should not have to gate check it right if no overhead bin? Note... i always put the laptop messenger bag in overhead bin and put my fanny pack so to speak under the person's chair.
Don't worry about terms such as "laptop bag" and "fanny pack". All that matters are their dimensions and the dimensions permitted under AA rules (on its website). The answer remains the same. If there is no space in the overhead, the items either go under the seat in front of you or are gate-checked.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:05 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Make sure your “carryon” is some form of suitcase that won’t get damaged if checked. They’re not going to make you check a normal sized messenger bag with a laptop in it, That’s considered your personal item, as long as it fits under the seat in front of you. If it’s too big for that, then you need to prepare for the worse case scenario, there are no guarantees with bin space.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:32 pm

Gate check is certainly a risk with BE. The mitigation is to have a plan to use your underseat space (unless you end up at a bulkhead in which case the FAs will help you). Even if you would like to put everything overhead, you should have some kind of smaller underseat bag ready in case you have to gate-check your main carry-on. This is important for carry-on items that should not be checked because of either damage/loss risk or safety risk, often listed as:
  • Valuables (like your laptop)
  • Medications
  • Keys
  • Travel documents
  • Spare lithium batteries (those not in a device)
  • Fueled cigarette lighter
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I haven't flown in a year, but here's how it worked then:

1) You can always board with an item meeting the "personal item" size limits - basically this means anything that will fit under a seat.
2) If you are on a regional jet, you will have to gate check any larger item, which will be returned to you planeside or at the gate, on arrival.
3) BE will usually board as the last group. Usually they will say something like "Passengers boarding in groups X or higher, there will be no overhead space available. Please bring your carry-on articles to the podium and we will check them to your final destination." This is always free.

None of this supercedes the previous advice to keep critical items in your possession. I once checked a bag containing my housekeys on a flight and the bag was lost, causing me quite a bit of consternation.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:51 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
That’s also why a lot of rolling suitcases have big outer pockets- so if you insist on on a single bag and no personal item, you can quickly pull the laptop out and hand carry it while the bag gets checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.