Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2021, 12:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Where are you flying FROM? I ask because, for example, I flew to CUN from DFW recently, and I chose a flight on a Dreamliner because it WAS a Dreamliner. I was flying First, and obviously those seats are 100% nicer than an A321. But, that said, a Dreamliner is going to have much more space under ANY seat than a different aircraft because they are made for long hauls. If you choose your flight by aircraft, that might solve your problem. I asked the FA if it was typical to have Dreamliners on CUN routes and she said they had been running a couple a day and it was not just because of COVID. I don't know how many airports do this, but I would imagine is DFW does, maybe at least other hubs might?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 12:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AA offers 24 hour hold (more like till 11:59PM the next day based on departure airport time zone). If you buy the ticket outright instead of holding you may lose this protection.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by seawolf
AA offers 24 hour hold (more like till 11:59PM the next day based on departure airport time zone). If you buy the ticket outright instead of holding you may lose this protection.
For most tickets, but not if you are within a week from departure.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All good reasons for anyone considering a purchase to read the rules on the website. These things may matter or may not to this OP.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:12 pm

Booked the flight at around 7pm Central US time at AA. Do I have till around 7pm Central time tomorrow to cancel or midnight central time?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:24 am

Anyone know the answer to this? I booked my ticket yesterday at around 7pm central time... do i have till 7pm central time today to cancel or midnight?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jerry90210
Anyone know the answer to this? I booked my ticket yesterday at around 7pm central time... do i have till 7pm central time today to cancel or midnight?
You already asked this question. See #7 above for the short answer and a link to the AA website description of the entire policy.

As explained, when you cancel will determine whether you receive a refund or a credit for future travel. Strongly urge you to read through the linked policy carefully to make your decision.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Checked baggage question international, basic economy

Believe me, I've done a thorough search trying to get clarification on this, but they've done a great job of making it completely unclear.

I'm booked on a basic economy ticket MAD-DFW next week. I only booked BE because I'm an Alaska Gold, and they've been promising for a year now that we'd be Sapphire with all the great associated benefits. Of course when I flew MIA-MAD 2 weeks ago, my Alaska status gave me nothing and I paid $75 for a small checked bag. Now Alaska has announced that we are Sapphire as of today, but AA is claiming I still don't get a free checked bag on a BE ticket. Here is what their website says:

1st and 2nd checked bags are complimentary for:

• AAdvantage® Platinum Pro
  • AAdvantage® Platinum
  • oneworld® Sapphire members
  • Confirmed Business customers
  • Confirmed Premium Economy customers**
**$0 2nd bag fee applies to / from Alaska and Hawaii for tickets issued on / after February 23, 2021. For tickets issued on / before February 22, 2021 a 2nd bag fee of $40 applies to Premium Economy customers to Alaska and Hawaii.

And when traveling to these destinations
  • Australia*
  • China*
  • Hong Kong*
  • Japan*
  • New Zealand*
  • South Korea*
*Excluding Basic Economy. 1st and 2nd checked bags are complimentary for Main Economy tickets issued on or before February 22, 2021. 1st checked bag is complimentary and a 2nd checked bag fee applies for Main Economy tickets issued on or after February 23, 2021.

So the way that reads is that 1st and 2nd checked bags are complimentary for all those categories listed, AND for all tickets to Australia, China, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, and South Korea, but excluding BE tickets for these listed countries as indicated by the asterisks. But the AA rep that I just spoke to on the phone claims that the 'AND' somehow means that BE tickets to any and all countries not listed means that there are no free checked bags. Now I've been speaking English for 50 years and I think I'm pretty damn good at reading and interpreting the language, and the 'AND' as written clearly indicates 'additionally' these countries listed get 1st and 2nd checked bags free except for BE tickets.

In any case, written poorly or not, what is the actual policy? Should I expect to be charged $75 to check my bag back to DFW next week?
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by srodr
Believe me, I've done a thorough search trying to get clarification on this, but they've done a great job of making it completely unclear.

I'm booked on a basic economy ticket MAD-DFW next week. I only booked BE because I'm an Alaska Gold, and they've been promising for a year now that we'd be Sapphire with all the great associated benefits. Of course when I flew MIA-MAD 2 weeks ago, my Alaska status gave me nothing and I paid $75 for a small checked bag. Now Alaska has announced that we are Sapphire as of today, but AA is claiming I still don't get a free checked bag on a BE ticket. Here is what their website says:
<snip>
Which airline is the operating MAD-DFW flight?
The different airlines have different rules
Many many threads on Basic economy, including but not limited to,.
AA forum-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

BA forum--->Guide to AJB Basic Economy fares
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AFAIK, in Basic Economy you’d be getting one checked bag privileges on AA flights to or from Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea. Link.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 12:26 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Which airline is the operating MAD-DFW flight?
The different airlines have different rules
Many many threads on Basic economy, including but not limited to,.
AA forum-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

BA forum--->Guide to AJB Basic Economy fares
I think only AA operated MAD-DFW.. That aside, baggage rules are usually determined by the marketing carrier, not the operating carrier. So if you have AAxxxx, you always get 2 checked bags as OWS.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 4:40 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by shd9
I think only AA operated MAD-DFW.. That aside, baggage rules are usually determined by the marketing carrier, not the operating carrier. So if you have AAxxxx, you always get 2 checked bags as OWS.
This is AA 37 MAD-DFW. And the Sapphire is now noted in my account allowing me to choose a good seat. However, I spoke to a 2nd AA rep last night that again said that One World status does not add a baggage allowance for BE transatlantic tickets. That doesn't sound right, and I can't get them to point me to something specific written, except the page that I quoted above, which to me says the opposite.
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Your first mistake is calling AA reservations and asking a detailed baggage allowance question, they will have no clue and are not trained on this, you could call 10 times and get 10 different answers.

Just go by your best guess from aa.com, which as a oneworld Sapphire will be 2 complimentary checked bags to Europe regardless of whether you're in normal economy or basic economy.
Often1 and shd9 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by srodr
This is AA 37 MAD-DFW. And the Sapphire is now noted in my account allowing me to choose a good seat. However, I spoke to a 2nd AA rep last night that again said that One World status does not add a baggage allowance for BE transatlantic tickets. That doesn't sound right, and I can't get them to point me to something specific written, except the page that I quoted above, which to me says the opposite.
With the OWS status attached, can you ask them to send you another ticket receipt? It will show detailed baggage allowances.
SamirD and bon mot like this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Basic economy booked via BA; first leg on AA; can't select seats online

I thought I had parsed all of the rules correctly and am running into a snag, so hoping someone can help me understand if I has misunderstood the rules, if there is a glitch between BA and AA, or something else.

I booked earlier today basic economy r/t DFW-LHR-ATH on ba.com (several hundred dollars cheaper per person on BA vs AA; hoping that Greece follows through with opening mid-May, all but our 15-year-old will have been vaccinated by the time of the trip, so hoping that isn't a foolish choice to go). Both DFW<>LHR legs are on AA, the two legs to Greece on BA. I am Platinum Pro and have included my AA status on the reservation.

I can select seat assignments without charge on the London<>Greece legs without a charge on ba.com, but trying to select seats on the two AA legs sends me to the aa.com site where I need to sign-in. Once I do, I can see the reservation on aa.com, but I am not presented with any options to select seats. To be as clear as possible, there is no option shown on either aa.com or the American app to display a seat map or select a seat on either of the two AA operated flights.

I have called AA and am being told by the CSR that because I purchased the tickets anywhere other than aa.com, I can only get seat assignments for $50/per person, specifically that the seat assignment is a reservation change due to having booked this on a site other than aa.com and subject to a fee. Is that right? Even when I have booked through my corporate travel site in pre-Covid days, and I believe when I have booked through Amextravel (relying on memory now for that) - I have been able to get a seat map and select seats on aa.com

I had understood under the joint business venture and as a Platinum Pro, I could select my AA seats, including Main Cabin Extra, even under Basic Economy. Was I mistaken? I have never heard of seat assignments being characterized that way.

Did I have the rules wrong? Is this a glitch because I purchased the tickets a few hours ago? Is aa.com confused because I am signing in (the link from ba.com takes me to the aa.com home page, not directly to seat assignments.

Last edited by stewlevine; Apr 2, 2021 at 2:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.