Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:43 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by guv1976
So on your ticket, your BA-ooerated flight has a BA flight number, and not an AA (codeshare) flight number?
The ticket has an AA flight number with an asterisk saying operated by British Airways.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
So on your ticket, your BA-operated flight has a BA flight number, and not an AA (codeshare) flight number?
Does this matter? The operating carrier dictates baggage allowance. If it's operated by BA you have to follow BA policies and I'm fairly sure that BA policy is, no free bags on any HBO/BE ticket regardless of status. But check to be sure. It has nothing to do with AA though.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Does this matter? The operating carrier dictates baggage allowance. If it's operated by BA you have to follow BA policies and I'm fairly sure that BA policy is, no free bags on any HBO/BE ticket regardless of status. But check to be sure. It has nothing to do with AA though.
As itin touches US and AA is marketing (and plating) carrier, AA decides on the allowance (and they can opt for AA or operating carrier allowance if they so desire at ticketing). That is why I asked in prior post.

Had OP included OWS FFP during time of ticketing, there was a fair chance the OWS baggage allowance would have been part of the ticket even on the BA-operated BE/HBO segments.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
There's some good information in the BA forum. In the Dashboard there is
Guide to AJB Basic Economy fares
with a nice chart. Some changes to policies have been made since the chart was created but to do with seating. I don't think bag rules have changed.

There is also
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30365110-post150.html

The upshot is OP will get 2 bags as OWS outbound, but none inbound. (I think)
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjcxx
with a nice chart. Some changes to policies have been made since the chart was created but to do with seating. I don't think bag rules have changed.

There is also

Why 2? Regular allowance is 0; OWS is +1 (according to the OW website). Where does the 2nd bag come from? Is it AA policy?

Return is more complicated; I was pretty sure it was 0 due to BA policy. Another poster said that AA policy applied. I was under the impression that the first operating carrier got to choose whether to apply their own policy or the connecting airline's but I could definitely be wrong there. If AA policy does prevail then it should also be 1.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Return is more complicated; I was pretty sure it was 0 due to BA policy. Another poster said that AA policy applied. I was under the impression that the first operating carrier got to choose whether to apply their own policy or the connecting airline's but I could definitely be wrong there. If AA policy does prevail then it should also be 1.
The 1st marketing carrier decides whether to apply its policy or where to defer to the policy of the most significant carrier.. AA ime defers to the most significant carrier. The eticket receipt will tell the person for certain whose allowances apply and what the allowance is and which carrier's policies apply -whatever this says is what the passenger can expect

Whichever policy applies, applies for the entire journey

If it is a hand baggage only fare with BA policy applying, then there is no additional baggage allowance for OW status applicable

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 14, 2022 at 4:06 pm
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Why 2? Regular allowance is 0; OWS is +1 (according to the OW website). Where does the 2nd bag come from? Is it AA policy?

Just passing on info from one forum to another, knowing there was a lot more on this subject in the BA forum. I cannot say for sure it is all correct, as for my own part, I've never flown a cross-marketed BE or HBO flight (if that is a term, meaning AA market/BA metal or vice-versa). I've only done AA market/AA metal BE, and BA market/BAmetal HBO.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The 1st marketing carrier decides whether to apply its policy or where to defer to the policy of the most significant carrier.. AA ime defers to the most significant carrier. The eticket receipt will tell the person for certain whose allowances apply and what the allowance is and which carrier's policies apply -whatever this says is what the passenger can expect

Whichever policy applies, applies for the entire journey

If it is a hand baggage only fare with BA policy applying, then there is no additional baggage allowance for OW status applicable
The problem is that the receipt shows 0 because the status was not known at the time of booking. From that, it's impossible to tell if it's AA's policy or BA's, as both would be 0.

Will AA reissue the ticket after entering the FF number if it results in a change in baggage allowance? If not, at this point, is there any way to get a receipt with the correct information?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Yes, AA policy:

"1st and 2nd checked bags are complimentary for:

AAdvantage Platinum®

oneworld® Sapphire members

TrueBlue Mosaic members^

Confirmed Domestic First customers

Confirmed Business customers

Confirmed Premium Economy customers

^Up to 2 free checked bags with check-in at American ticket counters"

(No exception listed for Basic Economy fares.)

​​​​​​OWS from certain oneworld carriers (including BA) also gets free MCE at time of booking, or thereafter. But it's not clear to me whether that benefit applies to Basic Economy fares. (It does for AAdvantage elites; don't know about BA elites )

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 14, 2022 at 7:33 pm
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The problem is that the receipt shows 0 because the status was not known at the time of booking. From that, it's impossible to tell if it's AA's policy or BA's, as both would be 0.

Will AA reissue the ticket after entering the FF number if it results in a change in baggage allowance? If not, at this point, is there any way to get a receipt with the correct information?
Where it states the baggage allowance of 0 , it should also state which carrier's allowance applies. if it says BA, then Zero will be correct for a hand baggage only fare. ; if it is AA, then AA's will apply

Should definitely be possible to tell whose policy applies. If it doesn't , then contact the travel agent and ask there

It seems that the passenger is booked on AA marketed flights and so , I believe that AA's baggage policies will apply
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:21 pm
Original Member

Just did two test with AA marketed/BA metal BE roundtrip.

AA ticket email shows:
No FFP - 1st bag $75; 2nd bag $100
OWS - 2 bags free

BA website shows no bags free for both reservations.

Seems like if BA charges and AA don't reimburse for the trip with OWS passenger, there is a DoT case right there.

On another note, very confused about 24 hour cancellation window. When I hit cancel, there is a timer that counts down indicating I have 57 hours to cancel for a refund.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:57 am
Ziz

Originally Posted by tjcxx

There is also

Thank you for this link!
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:38 am
Ziz

I am still thoroughly confused since I have put my FF into my booking and yet manage my booking still says 1st bag: $75. I've reached out to AA and will update when they reply.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:44 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Ziz
I am still thoroughly confused since I have put my FF into my booking and yet manage my booking still says 1st bag: $75. I've reached out to AA and will update when they reply.
Baggage allowance is "saved" on the ticket at time of ticketing. You mentioned back in post# 7, agency didn't have your OWS FFP at that point in time so a "1st bag @ $75" is correct. It doesn't mean airline can't waive the charge at check-in; DoT requirement is airline can't charge you more than what was disclosed at ticketing.

IMO the only way for you to have DoT "protection" is to have the ticket reissued with your OWS FFP. However since the is a BE fare...this may not be an option.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:55 am
Ziz

Originally Posted by seawolf
Baggage allowance is "saved" on the ticket at time of ticketing. You mentioned back in post# 7, agency didn't have your OWS FFP at that point in time so a "1st bag @ $75" is correct. It doesn't mean airline can't waive the charge at check-in; DoT requirement is airline can't charge you more than what was disclosed at ticketing.

IMO the only way for you to have DoT "protection" is to have the ticket reissued with your OWS FFP. However since the is a BE fare...this may not be an option.
Ah that makes sense, thank you! I haven't flown with a US carrier in a very long time so wasn't aware of that rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.