Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
Barclaycard AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver World Elite MasterCard® Companion Certificate
Earn a companion certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each, issued annually after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply).

FAQ: AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Companion Certificate

Link to Barclaycard Aviator Silver Terms and Conditions.

American Airlines Companion Certificate

You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate (the "Companion Certificate") redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each (plus taxes and fees) provided that: (1) $30,000 or more in eligible Net Purchases are made with your Account during the card membership year (each 12 month period through and including the account anniversary month) and (2) your Account remains open for at least 45 days after the anniversary date. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate. When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory. The Companion Certificate will be valid one year from issue and is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Details, terms and conditions, certain restrictions, and restricted dates apply and will be disclosed on the Companion Certificate.
Link to aa.com Barclays Aviator Silver information.

How do I earn a companion certificate?
You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each, plus taxes and fees, when you spend $30,000 or more on eligible purchases on your AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard® during your cardmembership year (each 12-month period prior to your anniversary date) and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary.

Are there restrictions on the use of the companion certificate?
When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory.

How long is my companion certificate valid?
The companion certificate will be valid one year from issue.

On which airlines can I use the companion certificate?
The companion certificate is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

When will I receive my companion certificate?
Once you have met the purchase requirement and your account has been open at least 45 days after your anniversary, you can expect to receive your companion certificate in 8-12 weeks.

FULL T&Cs:
This certificate entitles the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® cardmember named above to pay $99 for the ticketing fee, plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees based on itinerary, for each round trip qualifying economy fare ticket for up to two companions when an individual round trip qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased by and for the primary cardmember using the Addvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®. Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees and charges in association with companion travel.

This certificate must be surrendered when the ticket is purchased. Redemption is limited to one certificate per passenger. This certificate is nontransferable and may be used only by the cardmember named on the certificate. If the certificate is tendered in connection with a wholly unused ticket, any applicable penalties shall apply. The current fare and all applicable rules shall apply to the new ticket. The certificate must be redeemed and all travel completed by midnight of the Travel Expiration Date printed on the front of this certificate.

This certificate may not be combined with any other specials or promotional fare offer, discount, certificate, coupon, Senior Citizen discount or AAdvantage® award for the purchase of a ticket. When available, short-term promotional fares may provide a lower cost for your trip than the use of this certificate.

No upgrades will be allowed on tickets issued using this certificate.

Reservations are subject to availability at the time reservations are made. Reservations may be made and this certificate redeemed at any American Airlines or American Eagle® ticketing location or by calling American Airlines Meeting Services.

A ticket purchased with this certificate must conform to the advance purchase rules of the applicable fare used or be purchased at least 14 days prior to departure, whichever is the most restrictive. All terms and conditions applicable to the excursion fare ticket purchased apply to both the fare paid ticket and the companion ticket. Both tickets must be issued for the same flights and dates by the same location at the same time. If purchased tickets are wholly or partially refunded, the certificate will not be replaced and no refund will apply to the companion ticket.

This certificate is valid for travel as referenced on the front of this certificate to destinations served by American Airlines, American Eagle® and the AmericanConnection® carrier, both at the time of certificate redemption and ticket usage. The individual using the companion ticket will not earn AAdvantage® miles on these flight segments. Certificate not valid on flights marketed as American Airlines online service but operated by other airlines under a codeshare agreement.

Unless otherwise indicated, all amounts shown are in USD. Fares do not include (a) a federal excise tax of up to $3.50 per U.S. domestic flight segment of a passenger's itinerary, a flight segment is defined as one takeoff and landing, (b) up to $18 per round trip in local airport Passenger Facility Charges, and (c) September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement originating at a U.S. airport, up to $5 per one way or $10 per round trip. Taxes are subject to change. Redemption of the certificate applies only to bookings made by phone through American Airlines Meeting Services or through airport or city ticket offices.

This certificate is not redeemable for cash and has no value except when redeemed in accordance with these terms and conditions. Lost, stolen, destroyed or expired certificates will not be replaced. This certificate is void if sold for cash or other considerations. It is also void if altered, counterfeited, obtained or used improperly, or where prohibited by law.

These terms and conditions cannot be changed by any statement or representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of American Airlines, Inc., Barclaycard, and Barclays Bank Delaware.

For residents of Hawaii only, valid for round trip travel originating in Hawaii and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

For residents of Alaska only, valid for round trip travel originating in Alaska and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

RESERVATIONS/TICKETING/REPORTING INFORMATION

Reservations must be booked in L, M, N, Q, S, V, G or O inventory.

2019 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 15-19; Mar 8-11, 15-18, 22-25; May 24-28; Jun 28-30; Jul 1-7; Nov 27-30; Dec 1-2, 14-23, 27-31

2020 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 14-18; Mar 6-9, 13-16, 20-23; May 22-26; Jun 30; Jul 1-6; Nov 25-30; Dec 12-23, 27-31

Both the fare-paying passenger and the companion(s) must be booked in the same booking code on the same itinerary.

Certificate must be attached to auditors coupon and is valid only for using American Airlines ticket validation (001).
Updated 27 Jan 2016 - taxicabnumber
Updated 04 Jan 2017 - aschuett (Added 2017 embargo dates per moonwoo)
Updated 06 Jun 2019 - thorofare (deleted prior year embargo dates; added 2019-20 embargo dates)
Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by shimps1
I have a companion pass, $99 plus taxes/fees. It is actually from a Aviator Red sign up bonus, but I assume it has the same restrictions.

I also have a $700 VDB voucher. Can I use the voucher to pay for my cash ticket, and then use the companion pass as well? Or is the pass only combinable with a cash booking?
You must use the Red card to use the voucher that came as a benefit with the Red card.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:50 am

deleted

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 1, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Here's what the T&Cs for the silver card says:

This certificate entitles the AAdvantage® Aviator® Silver World Elite Mastercard® cardmember named above to pay $99 for the ticketing fee, plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees based on itinerary, for each round trip qualifying economy fare ticket for up to two companions when an individual round trip qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased by and for the primary cardmember using the AAdvantage® Aviator® Silver World Elite Mastercard®

Check and see if the same language exists on the red.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AA-EXP
I can't believe they still require mailing the physical certificate. How clunky.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:46 am

Credit card question

Does anyone know if you can (still?) use multiple AA companion certificates on a single itinerary? Citi or Barclays, either or both.

Also wondering if anyone knows if the Aviator Silver still gives EQDs/EQMs and Biz still gives EQDs? The ad page for the cards still list the benefit, but I saw some comments a few months back that stated those benefits are gone.

last but not least, does anyone know if the benefits stack? For example, can you earn $3k EQDs with Aviator silver and a separate $3k EQDs with Aviator biz for a total of $6k EQDs? Another example: Do the EQM benefits stack? Can you earn 10k EQMs with the Citi Executive card and another 10k EQMs with the Aviator Silver for a total of 20k?

Posted this elsewhere but this thread also seems like a good place to ask, Thank you.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm using a companion pass for travel this weekend and requested upgrades (using 500 milers), well not needed for me but are needed for the companion. We were upgraded for our outbound flight.
On the upgrade email, it listed the seats. It also listed the return flight, but has that noted as, "basic economy."

I've checked through all other documentation, the web site, etc, but don't see anywhere that I purchased a BE fare. On the AA site for the return it still has upgrades as, "requested."

Should I be concerned? Maybe say something when I check in for the outbound, just to make sure we're still in the queue for the return?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Can I use the cert when purchasing multiple tickets? For example, I need 3 tickets, pay for 2 and use the cert on the 3rd (plus taxes and fees).

Thanks,
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by festriaqua
Can I use the cert when purchasing multiple tickets? For example, I need 3 tickets, pay for 2 and use the cert on the 3rd (plus taxes and fees).

Thanks,
why not buy one separately, then buy one + cert? status won't be tied together, but perhaps you can link the records.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
why not buy one separately, then buy one + cert? status won't be tied together, but perhaps you can link the records.
Reason is so I can use SWU or 500 mile upgrades to upgrade everyone in my party.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Buy MCE a few days after booking

Using this certificate can I buy MCE seats a few days or so after booking with the Aviator card?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, American Platinum, Singapore KrisFlyer
Ticketing a $99 companion certificate

I just called AA Meeting Services to make a reservation for myself + my 2 kids to California in June. I used the $99 companion certificate provided by my Barclays Silver Mastercard to make the reservation. The rep took my credit card information and told me to sign and mail the certificate to AA - no problem so far.
She then proceeded to inform me that my credit card wont be charged and the tickets wont be issued until 2 weeks before departure

Is that normal? I would have expected AA to ticket the reservation and charge my credit card once they receive the signed certificate back.

The other reason I ask is that I just realized that the credit card that I provided expires in May, so I want to know if I have to call in to provide the new expiration date down the road

Thank you!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
I used the $99 Aviator companion certificate to purchase a MIA-DEN ticket for early April which I would like to cancel and rebook for later in the year under the current AA no change fee policy. Would I be correct in guessing that I will get a refund only of the reduced fare that I actually paid and have effectively forfeited reusing the companion certificate on another flight?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Uzzar
I can't believe they still require mailing the physical certificate. How clunky.
ive never bothered getting any AA companion certs until last year 2019. im waiting for Citi AA biz and Aviator Silver/Biz. do they all come in a physical mailer? its not via email and loaded onto your AA account like hotel credit cards?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
ive never bothered getting any AA companion certs until last year 2019. im waiting for Citi AA biz and Aviator Silver/Biz. do they all come in a physical mailer? its not via email and loaded onto your AA account like hotel credit cards?
For Barclays, you can print them from your credit card account but they also mail them a bit later. For Citi, I do not know.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
I received an email from Barclays stating that I would be receiving the voucher in the mail, which I did. This was with the Silver Aviator, i do not have the Citi card.
GundamWing01 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.