Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
Barclaycard AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver World Elite MasterCard® Companion Certificate
Earn a companion certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each, issued annually after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply).

FAQ: AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Companion Certificate

Link to Barclaycard Aviator Silver Terms and Conditions.

American Airlines Companion Certificate

You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate (the "Companion Certificate") redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each (plus taxes and fees) provided that: (1) $30,000 or more in eligible Net Purchases are made with your Account during the card membership year (each 12 month period through and including the account anniversary month) and (2) your Account remains open for at least 45 days after the anniversary date. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate. When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory. The Companion Certificate will be valid one year from issue and is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Details, terms and conditions, certain restrictions, and restricted dates apply and will be disclosed on the Companion Certificate.
Link to aa.com Barclays Aviator Silver information.

How do I earn a companion certificate?
You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each, plus taxes and fees, when you spend $30,000 or more on eligible purchases on your AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard® during your cardmembership year (each 12-month period prior to your anniversary date) and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary.

Are there restrictions on the use of the companion certificate?
When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory.

How long is my companion certificate valid?
The companion certificate will be valid one year from issue.

On which airlines can I use the companion certificate?
The companion certificate is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

When will I receive my companion certificate?
Once you have met the purchase requirement and your account has been open at least 45 days after your anniversary, you can expect to receive your companion certificate in 8-12 weeks.

FULL T&Cs:
This certificate entitles the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® cardmember named above to pay $99 for the ticketing fee, plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees based on itinerary, for each round trip qualifying economy fare ticket for up to two companions when an individual round trip qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased by and for the primary cardmember using the Addvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®. Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees and charges in association with companion travel.

This certificate must be surrendered when the ticket is purchased. Redemption is limited to one certificate per passenger. This certificate is nontransferable and may be used only by the cardmember named on the certificate. If the certificate is tendered in connection with a wholly unused ticket, any applicable penalties shall apply. The current fare and all applicable rules shall apply to the new ticket. The certificate must be redeemed and all travel completed by midnight of the Travel Expiration Date printed on the front of this certificate.

This certificate may not be combined with any other specials or promotional fare offer, discount, certificate, coupon, Senior Citizen discount or AAdvantage® award for the purchase of a ticket. When available, short-term promotional fares may provide a lower cost for your trip than the use of this certificate.

No upgrades will be allowed on tickets issued using this certificate.

Reservations are subject to availability at the time reservations are made. Reservations may be made and this certificate redeemed at any American Airlines or American Eagle® ticketing location or by calling American Airlines Meeting Services.

A ticket purchased with this certificate must conform to the advance purchase rules of the applicable fare used or be purchased at least 14 days prior to departure, whichever is the most restrictive. All terms and conditions applicable to the excursion fare ticket purchased apply to both the fare paid ticket and the companion ticket. Both tickets must be issued for the same flights and dates by the same location at the same time. If purchased tickets are wholly or partially refunded, the certificate will not be replaced and no refund will apply to the companion ticket.

This certificate is valid for travel as referenced on the front of this certificate to destinations served by American Airlines, American Eagle® and the AmericanConnection® carrier, both at the time of certificate redemption and ticket usage. The individual using the companion ticket will not earn AAdvantage® miles on these flight segments. Certificate not valid on flights marketed as American Airlines online service but operated by other airlines under a codeshare agreement.

Unless otherwise indicated, all amounts shown are in USD. Fares do not include (a) a federal excise tax of up to $3.50 per U.S. domestic flight segment of a passenger's itinerary, a flight segment is defined as one takeoff and landing, (b) up to $18 per round trip in local airport Passenger Facility Charges, and (c) September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement originating at a U.S. airport, up to $5 per one way or $10 per round trip. Taxes are subject to change. Redemption of the certificate applies only to bookings made by phone through American Airlines Meeting Services or through airport or city ticket offices.

This certificate is not redeemable for cash and has no value except when redeemed in accordance with these terms and conditions. Lost, stolen, destroyed or expired certificates will not be replaced. This certificate is void if sold for cash or other considerations. It is also void if altered, counterfeited, obtained or used improperly, or where prohibited by law.

These terms and conditions cannot be changed by any statement or representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of American Airlines, Inc., Barclaycard, and Barclays Bank Delaware.

For residents of Hawaii only, valid for round trip travel originating in Hawaii and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

For residents of Alaska only, valid for round trip travel originating in Alaska and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

RESERVATIONS/TICKETING/REPORTING INFORMATION

Reservations must be booked in L, M, N, Q, S, V, G or O inventory.

2019 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 15-19; Mar 8-11, 15-18, 22-25; May 24-28; Jun 28-30; Jul 1-7; Nov 27-30; Dec 1-2, 14-23, 27-31

2020 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 14-18; Mar 6-9, 13-16, 20-23; May 22-26; Jun 30; Jul 1-6; Nov 25-30; Dec 12-23, 27-31

Both the fare-paying passenger and the companion(s) must be booked in the same booking code on the same itinerary.

Certificate must be attached to auditors coupon and is valid only for using American Airlines ticket validation (001).
Updated 27 Jan 2016 - taxicabnumber
Updated 04 Jan 2017 - aschuett (Added 2017 embargo dates per moonwoo)
Updated 06 Jun 2019 - thorofare (deleted prior year embargo dates; added 2019-20 embargo dates)
Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
I wrote an email to American to suggest that upgrades be allowed and miles earned on the companion portions of the certificates. American claims this is all on Barclays, which I find hard to believe. Here is what I received back:

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations. As an AAdvantage® elite member, you are among our most valued customers, so it is particularly troubling to hear of your disappointment.

As procedures and polocies [sic] in regards to the Barclays card and companion certificates are issued by our credit card partner and not by American Airlines directly, all terms and conditions of the certificates are set by them. I'm sorry that I cannot personally assist you with your request. Please contact the customer service number on your credit card statement or on the back of your card, and they can assist with specific questions about companion certificates and the card itself.
Please be assured; as is Customer Relations responsibility we have shared your comments and personal perspective internally.

We value your long-standing loyalty and support and are eager to continue the relationship we have enjoyed over the years. Please be assured we are all working hard to provide the high quality service you have every right to expect when traveling with us. On behalf of all of us here at American Airlines, we would like to thank you for your support, and it will be our privilege to welcome you aboard again.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Gosh, who knew that Barclays sets the terms under which AA upgrades folks on AA aircraft?

Live and learn.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:45 am

I could go to Barclays and they would send me back to American who would then send me back to Barclays who would then send me back to American . . . . American is probably now too large to be competent.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Agreed. This said, the "too large" thing is what gives me a bit of hope here.

We have already learned -- thanks, dietrjm ^ -- that the stuff about no RDMs and, more important from my perspective, EQMs, is not being enforced. I am pleased but not surprised given how odd it would be for such a large outfit to be writing another squidge in their code for such an obscure circumstance.

Similarly, until proven otherwise, I am going to remain hopeful that upgrades are still feasible. Same logic. It does seem true, given the difference in upgrade schemes between the now departed US and the very much present AA that anyone who booked a primary + 2 others PNR could not / would not be eligible for upgrades, not because of some rule that Barclays is enforcing on AA , but because AA doesn't seem to allow upgrades in all 3+ PNRs. (I'm not the authority here, however.) I am guessing (hoping) that as long as one can cajole someone at AA to later split the PNR, one could make these tickets as eligible as any other now-disjointed threesome for an upgrade.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Similarly, until proven otherwise, I am going to remain hopeful that upgrades are still feasible. Same logic. It does seem true, given the difference in upgrade schemes between the now departed US and the very much present AA that anyone who booked a primary + 2 others PNR could not / would not be eligible for upgrades, not because of some rule that Barclays is enforcing on AA , but because AA doesn't seem to allow upgrades in all 3+ PNRs. (I'm not the authority here, however.) I am guessing (hoping) that as long as one can cajole someone at AA to later split the PNR, one could make these tickets as eligible as any other now-disjointed threesome for an upgrade.
I believed this to be correct - that PNRs containing more than 2 persons aren't eligible for complementary upgrades. But after reading this I'm not sure anymore:

Traveling with other people in your reservation?

If there are more than two passengers in your reservation, you'll need to call Reservations, you won't be able to request an upgrade on aa.com

If there are other passengers in your reservation who aren't eligible for complimentary upgrades, you'll need to request an upgrade (upgrades will not be auto-requested in this case)
I found the above on this page. So it seems it might be possible to upgrade 3+ person PNRs. I know this wasn't possible at PMUS unless you split the PNR.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:45 am

Best current AA card?

I currently have the barclay's AA card, but to my surprise, I was informed they don't do the companion certificate any longer when I went looking for one to use... (I love how they just pull the main benefit of the card.) I believe my annual fee is $99, and I see they aren't issuing the barclay's card anymore. Should I stick where I am or go with one of the Citi AA? It seems the benefits are identical, & no one is offering the AA companion certificates?

As long as they're offering a free checked bag for me and my spouse, the annual fee is justified as it saves $50 total each trip, and we take about 4-5 AA trips annually... I'd like to get the companion ticket piece back though.

Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Upgrade to Silver Aviator for companion ticket

This is still a benefit, but only if you have the silver card, roughly $200/yr.
I (reluctantly) upgraded to silver for this benefit and for the potential 10K eqm.
The companion certs aren't what they used to be - as I understand it, no upgrades even tho it's a paid ticket.
They are potentially better as the network is large enuf to make 'em useful.
To upgrade to silver you probably have to call.
If you won't be allowed to upgrade (my situation for months) you can ask to keep your current card for free for a year and think about it.
Hope something works!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:09 pm

Ugh... Guess I'll be going back to Delta/Amex
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by bucketlist
This is still a benefit, but only if you have the silver card, roughly $200/yr.
I (reluctantly) upgraded to silver for this benefit and for the potential 10K eqm.
The companion certs aren't what they used to be - as I understand it, no upgrades even tho it's a paid ticket.
They are potentially better as the network is large enuf to make 'em useful.
To upgrade to silver you probably have to call.
If you won't be allowed to upgrade (my situation for months) you can ask to keep your current card for free for a year and think about it.
Hope something works!
The other issue is that they black out dates are much broader than before.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Upgraded using the Companion Certificate

My husband and I just completed travel today which we booked using the Barclay's Silver Card Companion Certificate. I had the paid ticket (I'm EXP) and he had the companion ticket (he's PLT). We were upgraded at the 100 hour EXP window on all 4 segments and my husband earned FF miles for the outbound flights (we'll know soon if he earned the miles on the return!).
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:12 am

Thanks for the confirmation!

How long after your annual renewal date did the certs show up, and how? Mine were "promised" on the website all during the year that I qualified (ending Feb 2016), but since then the clock has re-set and I can't find anything saying that they are coming (or when). The language says 45 days after that date and maybe then another 6-8 weeks ... did it really take that long?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:50 am

My anniversary is in January. I printed out the certificate from the website on March 21 and received the certificate in the mail about 10 days later.

A potential new problem may have arisen. I used the certificate and booked flights on April 7. I mailed the certificate that day. I was charged for my portion but not for the two companions. I hope this does not turn out to be a problem.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by pkr529
My anniversary is in January. I printed out the certificate from the website on March 21 and received the certificate in the mail about 10 days later.

A potential new problem may have arisen. I used the certificate and booked flights on April 7. I mailed the certificate that day. I was charged for my portion but not for the two companions. I hope this does not turn out to be a problem.
Thanks for the quick reply. Was March 21 when the certificate popped up on the website? As you can tell, I am perplexed that all the stuff telling me how and when I would be eligible disappeared when the counter reset at anniversary time.

As for the charges in your case ... you must have called in, right? At aa.com, do the tickets show as still pending (still being ticketed)? If so, I'd call in to see what is going on ....
Old Apr 12, 2016, 11:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
We were upgraded at the 100 hour EXP window on all 4 segments and my husband earned FF miles for the outbound flights (we'll know soon if he earned the miles on the return!).
That's great! Seems like the language in the fine print regarding the ability to upgrade isn't enforced in practice.

Also, based on my experience you should both earn EQMs/RDMs for the trip.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I wonder if the "upgrade-ability" is really meant for mileage upgrades, but does not apply to 500-mile upgrades (or complimentary upgrades for sub 500 miles).

Last edited by GNRMatt; Apr 12, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.