Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
Barclaycard AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver World Elite MasterCard® Companion Certificate
Earn a companion certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each, issued annually after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply).

FAQ: AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Companion Certificate

Link to Barclaycard Aviator Silver Terms and Conditions.

American Airlines Companion Certificate

You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate (the "Companion Certificate") redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each (plus taxes and fees) provided that: (1) $30,000 or more in eligible Net Purchases are made with your Account during the card membership year (each 12 month period through and including the account anniversary month) and (2) your Account remains open for at least 45 days after the anniversary date. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate. When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory. The Companion Certificate will be valid one year from issue and is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Details, terms and conditions, certain restrictions, and restricted dates apply and will be disclosed on the Companion Certificate.
Link to aa.com Barclays Aviator Silver information.

How do I earn a companion certificate?
You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each, plus taxes and fees, when you spend $30,000 or more on eligible purchases on your AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard® during your cardmembership year (each 12-month period prior to your anniversary date) and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary.

Are there restrictions on the use of the companion certificate?
When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory.

How long is my companion certificate valid?
The companion certificate will be valid one year from issue.

On which airlines can I use the companion certificate?
The companion certificate is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

When will I receive my companion certificate?
Once you have met the purchase requirement and your account has been open at least 45 days after your anniversary, you can expect to receive your companion certificate in 8-12 weeks.

FULL T&Cs:
This certificate entitles the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® cardmember named above to pay $99 for the ticketing fee, plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees based on itinerary, for each round trip qualifying economy fare ticket for up to two companions when an individual round trip qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased by and for the primary cardmember using the Addvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®. Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees and charges in association with companion travel.

This certificate must be surrendered when the ticket is purchased. Redemption is limited to one certificate per passenger. This certificate is nontransferable and may be used only by the cardmember named on the certificate. If the certificate is tendered in connection with a wholly unused ticket, any applicable penalties shall apply. The current fare and all applicable rules shall apply to the new ticket. The certificate must be redeemed and all travel completed by midnight of the Travel Expiration Date printed on the front of this certificate.

This certificate may not be combined with any other specials or promotional fare offer, discount, certificate, coupon, Senior Citizen discount or AAdvantage® award for the purchase of a ticket. When available, short-term promotional fares may provide a lower cost for your trip than the use of this certificate.

No upgrades will be allowed on tickets issued using this certificate.

Reservations are subject to availability at the time reservations are made. Reservations may be made and this certificate redeemed at any American Airlines or American Eagle® ticketing location or by calling American Airlines Meeting Services.

A ticket purchased with this certificate must conform to the advance purchase rules of the applicable fare used or be purchased at least 14 days prior to departure, whichever is the most restrictive. All terms and conditions applicable to the excursion fare ticket purchased apply to both the fare paid ticket and the companion ticket. Both tickets must be issued for the same flights and dates by the same location at the same time. If purchased tickets are wholly or partially refunded, the certificate will not be replaced and no refund will apply to the companion ticket.

This certificate is valid for travel as referenced on the front of this certificate to destinations served by American Airlines, American Eagle® and the AmericanConnection® carrier, both at the time of certificate redemption and ticket usage. The individual using the companion ticket will not earn AAdvantage® miles on these flight segments. Certificate not valid on flights marketed as American Airlines online service but operated by other airlines under a codeshare agreement.

Unless otherwise indicated, all amounts shown are in USD. Fares do not include (a) a federal excise tax of up to $3.50 per U.S. domestic flight segment of a passenger's itinerary, a flight segment is defined as one takeoff and landing, (b) up to $18 per round trip in local airport Passenger Facility Charges, and (c) September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement originating at a U.S. airport, up to $5 per one way or $10 per round trip. Taxes are subject to change. Redemption of the certificate applies only to bookings made by phone through American Airlines Meeting Services or through airport or city ticket offices.

This certificate is not redeemable for cash and has no value except when redeemed in accordance with these terms and conditions. Lost, stolen, destroyed or expired certificates will not be replaced. This certificate is void if sold for cash or other considerations. It is also void if altered, counterfeited, obtained or used improperly, or where prohibited by law.

These terms and conditions cannot be changed by any statement or representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of American Airlines, Inc., Barclaycard, and Barclays Bank Delaware.

For residents of Hawaii only, valid for round trip travel originating in Hawaii and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

For residents of Alaska only, valid for round trip travel originating in Alaska and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

RESERVATIONS/TICKETING/REPORTING INFORMATION

Reservations must be booked in L, M, N, Q, S, V, G or O inventory.

2019 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 15-19; Mar 8-11, 15-18, 22-25; May 24-28; Jun 28-30; Jul 1-7; Nov 27-30; Dec 1-2, 14-23, 27-31

2020 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 14-18; Mar 6-9, 13-16, 20-23; May 22-26; Jun 30; Jul 1-6; Nov 25-30; Dec 12-23, 27-31

Both the fare-paying passenger and the companion(s) must be booked in the same booking code on the same itinerary.

Certificate must be attached to auditors coupon and is valid only for using American Airlines ticket validation (001).
Updated 27 Jan 2016 - taxicabnumber
Updated 04 Jan 2017 - aschuett (Added 2017 embargo dates per moonwoo)
Updated 06 Jun 2019 - thorofare (deleted prior year embargo dates; added 2019-20 embargo dates)
Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM
Any updates in 6 Years . . . ?

Originally Posted by DCAAA
Just had a very long and frustrating 45 min call with AA to book a companion ticket. What a nightmare. Had to repeat every detail that's saved in my profile to someone that doesn't speak native English.
Can't help but wonder if there's a way that these can be booked online yet. A quick forum search led me to this lonely post. I've literally never booked one, despite having received them into my account every year for the past decade. The brutally wide blackout dates are the biggest barrier (all Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon in March to block Spring Break travel . . . virtually the entire month of December, which kills my mid Dec wedding anniversary, and every single US Holiday big & small +/- two or more days), but it certainly doesn't help that I have to call the meetings desk to book. These things come with two different codes (a 9-digit "STAR File" code) as well as what appear to be e-voucher codes (15-digits, starting with 1001). I can't believe that it's not as simple as entering those codes in the appropriate payment fields on aa.com, BUT perhaps they have so many different boxes that have to be ticked (is the primary cardholder on the itinerary? are you paying with your Barclaycard? are you booking into an authorized class?) that is too difficult for them to code it properly.

Bottom line: If anyone knows an easier way to book (e.g. can I not just do this through the EXP desk??), I'd love to hear it.
dc10forlife and EZTraveler like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by maxwellh
Bottom line: If anyone knows an easier way to book (e.g. can I not just do this through the EXP desk??), I'd love to hear it.
There is no easier way.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tommybananas
This puts the final nail in the coffin for keeping this card - I'm cancelling it. I get free wifi from T-Mobile on flights, I never see food for sale onboard, and I'll never have 2 companions on the same flight that I could use the certificate for. I cannot imagine keeping this card with all my Executive Platinum perks and with my Citi AA Executive Card. What's the point, just some extra LP's if I spend $50k? No thanks. The benefits of this card need a serious update or they should just retire it...It's half-retired anyhow without direct applications and the requirement to "upgrade." Bye Barclays.
If you hold both Silver and Citi Exec, it is possible to double dip on the LP bonus from both cards while only putting spend on Silver
mikeFT likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:50 pm

Finally used my Silver comp cert -- came in clutch -- saved $400 per companion! Definitely justifies the annual fee for me! and cc def makes it easier to hit at least Platinum. I find being able to pick MCE seats at booking to be extremely valuable.
sexykitten7 and Boston Paulie like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Finally used my Silver comp cert -- came in clutch -- saved $400 per companion! Definitely justifies the annual fee for me! and cc def makes it easier to hit at least Platinum. I find being able to pick MCE seats at booking to be extremely valuable.
Care to share the details as to dates, cost for the primary ticket and route?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Two real life experiences to note as i am on hold waiting to change a reservation made with this benefit.

There is a price cap using this benefit. Something like 700 roundtrip. I asked for a more expensive one and no. Had to adjust. I want to say 800 was too much. Ik. Expensive. Spring break.

Now I get an Alert weather is going to be a problem on our flight. Free change. Only that regular rez ppl can’t help. Only the special corporate/group team.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I don't think its a price cap. Only certain fare buckets can be used with this cert.
maxwellh and mydogsarebad like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by mydogsarebad
Two real life experiences to note as i am on hold waiting to change a reservation made with this benefit.

There is a price cap using this benefit. Something like 700 roundtrip. I asked for a more expensive one and no. Had to adjust. I want to say 800 was too much. Ik. Expensive. Spring break.

Now I get an Alert weather is going to be a problem on our flight. Free change. Only that regular rez ppl can’t help. Only the special corporate/group team.
The last time I used this, weather caused my having to change the return flight, and I was able to make changes online multiple times.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by EZTraveler
Care to share the details as to dates, cost for the primary ticket and route?
Going to a wedding in Denver in June (booked Fri-Mon). Tickets were $550 per person. Delta/United (direct flight) was quoting similar prices. Frontier had it for like $300 direct lol but no thank you. Using Comp pass, each comp was ~$150, thus saving $800 total. Not ideal in the sense there are no directs from NYC on AA so each way will have 1 connection, but secretly prefer this as I can check out some lounges But also being able to pick MCE seats with AA at booking is nice as well.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I don't think its a price cap. Only certain fare buckets can be used with this cert.
I agree with this. I don't think there is a price cap, otherwise it would be in the T&Cs
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:50 pm

I agree with this. I don't think there is a price cap, otherwise it would be in the T&Cs
More likely embargoed dates. I tried to book with this for a trip last week. Agent said embargoed for 2 weeks that happen to be apring break weeks for most of the US. Also embargoes around labor day, memorial day, Christmas, new years weeks along with some other times.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by mydogsarebad

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
As IADCAflyer and zzrayzz point out, there is no price cap. I used companion certs on a last minute PHL-PHX flight where the main cabin cost was $1000+.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 12:28 pm

No "Stopovers" with Companion Pass Redemption?

(Can't seem to find an answer via search in this thread, so maybe this is unique?)

Just went to use a companion pass. First time ever that I've been able to use (because: blackout dates, etc.) Booking a trip this summer: SAT (DFW) RAP, RAP (DFW) SAT. The only complicated thing is that I wanted to have a long connection in DFW on the return, so as to watch a soccer match. Was looking to arrive in DFW at 13:35, then depart DFW at 20:55 (same day). I was told that this would constitute a "stopover" as the layover would exceed 4 hours. I had the Full Terms & Conditions ( https://creditcards.aa.com/barclaysilverterms2024/ ) pulled up, so I did quick text searches for "stopover" and "layover" and came up short. There is absolutely NO language in the T & C about maximum allowable length of layover. I politely told her that that didn't appear to be in the rules, and she (very polite also!!) said that she would double-check. Ten seconds later she confirmed that "it's just not allowed on these." I ultimately went ahead and booked with a one-hour layover (was actually $75 cheaper), and figured I could go back and try to fix it later: same day flight change, perhaps? (which she did say was not prohibited) Play agent roulette? Worst case--I could simply grab a set of one-ways with miles (I've already done so and currently have On Hold).

Questions:

-- Is this definitely a thing?

-- Are there any (preferably costless) solutions for this?

-- Is there any point in trying to appeal to a higher power?

It is definitively NOT noted within the terms and conditions--and c'mon, any time I try to book award travel, I'm almost always pushed toward ridiculously long stopovers, if I don't want to spend an arm and a leg in miles. This seems to be the one instance when logical fares are actually mandated by AA.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 12:48 pm

No idea if there's a price cap or not, but I just booked one (+ 2 companions) with a fare of $900.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.