Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
Barclaycard AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver World Elite MasterCard® Companion Certificate
Earn a companion certificate good for up to 2 guests at $99 each, issued annually after your account anniversary when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases (taxes and fees apply).

FAQ: AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Companion Certificate

Link to Barclaycard Aviator Silver Terms and Conditions.

American Airlines Companion Certificate

You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate (the "Companion Certificate") redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each (plus taxes and fees) provided that: (1) $30,000 or more in eligible Net Purchases are made with your Account during the card membership year (each 12 month period through and including the account anniversary month) and (2) your Account remains open for at least 45 days after the anniversary date. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate. When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory. The Companion Certificate will be valid one year from issue and is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Details, terms and conditions, certain restrictions, and restricted dates apply and will be disclosed on the Companion Certificate.
Link to aa.com Barclays Aviator Silver information.

How do I earn a companion certificate?
You will earn a domestic economy fare American Airlines Companion Certificate redeemable for up to two companion tickets at $99 each, plus taxes and fees, when you spend $30,000 or more on eligible purchases on your AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard® during your cardmembership year (each 12-month period prior to your anniversary date) and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary.

Are there restrictions on the use of the companion certificate?
When used according to its terms, you will pay a $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees, depending on itinerary, for each (up to two) round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying domestic economy fare ticket is purchased and redeemed through American Airlines Meeting Services. Travel must be booked and purchased in select economy inventory.

How long is my companion certificate valid?
The companion certificate will be valid one year from issue.

On which airlines can I use the companion certificate?
The companion certificate is valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by Envoy Air Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, the Companion Certificate is valid for round-trip travel originating in either of those two states and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

When will I receive my companion certificate?
Once you have met the purchase requirement and your account has been open at least 45 days after your anniversary, you can expect to receive your companion certificate in 8-12 weeks.

FULL T&Cs:
This certificate entitles the AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® cardmember named above to pay $99 for the ticketing fee, plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes and fees based on itinerary, for each round trip qualifying economy fare ticket for up to two companions when an individual round trip qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased by and for the primary cardmember using the Addvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®. Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees and charges in association with companion travel.

This certificate must be surrendered when the ticket is purchased. Redemption is limited to one certificate per passenger. This certificate is nontransferable and may be used only by the cardmember named on the certificate. If the certificate is tendered in connection with a wholly unused ticket, any applicable penalties shall apply. The current fare and all applicable rules shall apply to the new ticket. The certificate must be redeemed and all travel completed by midnight of the Travel Expiration Date printed on the front of this certificate.

This certificate may not be combined with any other specials or promotional fare offer, discount, certificate, coupon, Senior Citizen discount or AAdvantage® award for the purchase of a ticket. When available, short-term promotional fares may provide a lower cost for your trip than the use of this certificate.

No upgrades will be allowed on tickets issued using this certificate.

Reservations are subject to availability at the time reservations are made. Reservations may be made and this certificate redeemed at any American Airlines or American Eagle® ticketing location or by calling American Airlines Meeting Services.

A ticket purchased with this certificate must conform to the advance purchase rules of the applicable fare used or be purchased at least 14 days prior to departure, whichever is the most restrictive. All terms and conditions applicable to the excursion fare ticket purchased apply to both the fare paid ticket and the companion ticket. Both tickets must be issued for the same flights and dates by the same location at the same time. If purchased tickets are wholly or partially refunded, the certificate will not be replaced and no refund will apply to the companion ticket.

This certificate is valid for travel as referenced on the front of this certificate to destinations served by American Airlines, American Eagle® and the AmericanConnection® carrier, both at the time of certificate redemption and ticket usage. The individual using the companion ticket will not earn AAdvantage® miles on these flight segments. Certificate not valid on flights marketed as American Airlines online service but operated by other airlines under a codeshare agreement.

Unless otherwise indicated, all amounts shown are in USD. Fares do not include (a) a federal excise tax of up to $3.50 per U.S. domestic flight segment of a passenger's itinerary, a flight segment is defined as one takeoff and landing, (b) up to $18 per round trip in local airport Passenger Facility Charges, and (c) September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement originating at a U.S. airport, up to $5 per one way or $10 per round trip. Taxes are subject to change. Redemption of the certificate applies only to bookings made by phone through American Airlines Meeting Services or through airport or city ticket offices.

This certificate is not redeemable for cash and has no value except when redeemed in accordance with these terms and conditions. Lost, stolen, destroyed or expired certificates will not be replaced. This certificate is void if sold for cash or other considerations. It is also void if altered, counterfeited, obtained or used improperly, or where prohibited by law.

These terms and conditions cannot be changed by any statement or representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of American Airlines, Inc., Barclaycard, and Barclays Bank Delaware.

For residents of Hawaii only, valid for round trip travel originating in Hawaii and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

For residents of Alaska only, valid for round trip travel originating in Alaska and continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.

RESERVATIONS/TICKETING/REPORTING INFORMATION

Reservations must be booked in L, M, N, Q, S, V, G or O inventory.

2019 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 15-19; Mar 8-11, 15-18, 22-25; May 24-28; Jun 28-30; Jul 1-7; Nov 27-30; Dec 1-2, 14-23, 27-31

2020 Travel Embargo dates: Jan 1-3; Feb 14-18; Mar 6-9, 13-16, 20-23; May 22-26; Jun 30; Jul 1-6; Nov 25-30; Dec 12-23, 27-31

Both the fare-paying passenger and the companion(s) must be booked in the same booking code on the same itinerary.

Certificate must be attached to auditors coupon and is valid only for using American Airlines ticket validation (001).
Updated 27 Jan 2016 - taxicabnumber
Updated 04 Jan 2017 - aschuett (Added 2017 embargo dates per moonwoo)
Updated 06 Jun 2019 - thorofare (deleted prior year embargo dates; added 2019-20 embargo dates)
Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Silver Card - Companion Certificate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2023, 6:42 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Since AA doesn't operate a BWI-STL direct but does operate several daily DCA-STL frequencies, I'd shoot for that and let Delta do its thing either to or from ATL.
aztimm likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Since AA doesn't operate a BWI-STL direct but does operate several daily DCA-STL frequencies, I'd shoot for that and let Delta do its thing either to or from ATL.
Is there some rule, that I am missing, that says you have to take a non-stop route? I thought it was good for any domestic round trip flight.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Is there some rule, that I am missing, that says you have to take a non-stop route? I thought it was good for any domestic round trip flight.
its good for most round trips as long as there is fare bucket availability.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
This forum is replete with examples of FTers who were traveling on a companion cert and upgraded - sometimes even splitting PNRs to "lighten" the number of passengers on a PNR that were looking to grab an available seat.
I'm hoping to use the companion certificate for me (status) + 1 adult (status) + an infant (no status). My goal is to get upgraded but if we don't get upgraded, I want the infant to have a paid seat so we take up the whole section of 3.... few questions:

Assuming the infant had a "paid" seat via the cert:
1. I believe this is a "no", but would all 3 of us be on the upgrade list since there's 2 people in the PNR with status?
2. Would the best path to maximize upgrade chances be to split away the adult and have me + the infant on a PNR?
3. If me + the infant do get the upgrade, would it be possible to then essentially treat the infant as a lap infant in F with the two adults in seats in F?
4. If 3 is a"yes", how would the remaining seat in Y be treated? I don't want them to mark as a no show or not flown and cancel the remaining itinerary.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: Globalist
Upgrade from Red to Silver

I'm having a hard time finding an answer to this question. I currently have the Red card and have covered the spend for the companion cert. My anniversary for the card isn't until next year. If I upgrade to the silver now:
1. Do I keep the single cert from the red card already earned?
2. Can I earn the companion cert for 2 this year with the Silver?
3. Any suggestions on how to play it? (I already have the biz card if that matters).
TIA
Old Oct 4, 2023, 9:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by 747kona
I'm hoping to use the companion certificate for me (status) + 1 adult (status) + an infant (no status). My goal is to get upgraded but if we don't get upgraded, I want the infant to have a paid seat so we take up the whole section of 3.... few questions:

Assuming the infant had a "paid" seat via the cert:
1. I believe this is a "no", but would all 3 of us be on the upgrade list since there's 2 people in the PNR with status?
2. Would the best path to maximize upgrade chances be to split away the adult and have me + the infant on a PNR?
3. If me + the infant do get the upgrade, would it be possible to then essentially treat the infant as a lap infant in F with the two adults in seats in F?
4. If 3 is a"yes", how would the remaining seat in Y be treated? I don't want them to mark as a no show or not flown and cancel the remaining itinerary.
good and complicated questions. I don’t know authoritatively but these would be my guesses.

1) I’ve been told in the past when booking these that the cardholder needs to be the paid ticket. I’m not sure this is real policy or enforced by the system but the agent did tell me that.
2) my understanding is that officially these tickets are not eligible for upgrade but in practice UDU do work as they do for normal paid tickets.
3) I believe you must split the record for the system to process upgrades properly given the nature of your traveling party. And I believe the only way to do that would be to have the infant and adult on the record where you are hoping to be upgraded. That would also leave the other status adult eligible to be upgraded as well so theoretically you might be able to be lucky and get three upgrades.
4) I think if the infant were under two you could probably talk to the flight attendant upon boarding and explain the situation (3 paid tickets, two in F one in Y) and I’m guessing the FAs wouldn’t have a problem with it. If it’s an RJ they might not be as lenient because weight and balance is more sensitive in the small planes.

good luck and let us know how it turns out, hoping you get 3 upgrades! It would also be interesting to see if the second status adult shows eligible for upgrades or not (I could picture the possibility the full fare adult and companion get on the upgrade list as a side effect of the full fare ticket but the second companion fare is restricted from upgrades).
Old Oct 14, 2023, 11:59 am

Barclaycard claims my companion reward has been issued but no sign of it

I met the spending threshold for the companion reward on my silver card a couple of months ago. Unlike in past years, I have not received an email notifying me that the award has been issued, so I called Barclaycard. The agent said the award was issued a while ago and is visible in my wallet on aa.com. As far as I can tell, there is no wallet anymore? The certificate is not visible in the Rewards Hub, or under the travel credit link. Any ideas on how to track down my cert? I suspect that if/when I find it, I'll already be a few months into the 1-year expiration period, and am going to guess that AA will have no sympathy. Anyone else having/had this issue?
Old Oct 14, 2023, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by cloudyallenby
I met the spending threshold for the companion reward on my silver card a couple of months ago. Unlike in past years, I have not received an email notifying me that the award has been issued, so I called Barclaycard. The agent said the award was issued a while ago and is visible in my wallet on aa.com. As far as I can tell, there is no wallet anymore? The certificate is not visible in the Rewards Hub, or under the travel credit link. Any ideas on how to track down my cert? I suspect that if/when I find it, I'll already be a few months into the 1-year expiration period, and am going to guess that AA will have no sympathy. Anyone else having/had this issue?
When you pass the threshold, you don't immediately get the certificate. It is given to you I believe 45 days after your annual fee is paid for the next year.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by cloudyallenby
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
When you pass the threshold, you don't immediately get the certificate. It is given to you I believe 45 days after your annual fee is paid for the next year.
Correct and Correct GNRMatt

So the benefit terms say the certificate will be awarded if the account remains open for 45 days after the card anniversary. My account rewards and benefits page says 45 days after the date my annual fee posted, which was later than my anniversary. I got the email from Barclays 53 days after the annual fee posted, and months after meeting the spend requirement, announcing that my companion certificate was deposited. The actual certificate showed up in the Advantage account under Rewards. Sooooo, if you are on the bubble between your annual fee posting and 45 days after (53 for me), maybe just a little more time is needed. And FYI, it showed an expiration that was about 51 weeks after the email date.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Does the original ticket have to be purchased over the phone at the same time the companion fare is booked? Or can I later call to add my P2 to a economy RT fare I already purchased?
Old Oct 22, 2023, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Must be booked at the same time - on the same locator,
GNRMatt and VegasGambler like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:10 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Book both tickets on the website and put them on hold. Then call and they will get it repriced.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Book both tickets on the website and put them on hold. Then call and they will get it repriced.
Like reserve for 2 without paying and then call?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Basically, if you have Elite status, you can upgrade within your elite rules. Other than that though, you can't use miles to upgrade your flights. I'm not sure if you can do in-app/web cash upgrades (but I'd guess not).
ty
Old Nov 18, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Anyone know for existing bookings made with a companion certificate, if I can’t fly on an booked itinerary whether it makes a difference if I make a change to ticket and or if I cancel and rebook later? Last year I had a reservation and I cancelled and then tried to rebook and they basically made me buy a whole new ticket because the original certificate expired. They wouldn’t let me attach a new certificate to the old flight credits. To use the new certificate I had to buy a new ticket. The booking I have that I need to cancel has a certificate that will still be valid for 6 months so I’m hoping I can cancel and then just rebook when I have a new itinerary in mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.