Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines and Winter Storm Jonas Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
22-24 Jan 2015: Cancellations at CLT, BWI, DCA, EWR, IAD, JFK, LGA, PHL
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources.

Information from AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread)

Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.[/B]
)
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to FAA ATCSCC OIS (airport status issues)

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2016 Guide to compensation thread.

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
Within the U.S.

Language	   Phone	Hours (CT)
English	          800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
Spanish	          800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
Japanese	  800-237-0027	6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin Chinese  800-492-8095	7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily

Hearing & speech impaired	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
Print Wikipost

Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by chuck1
Noticed they just had a round of JFK Sunday afternoon cancellations come through at 2:02pm central including my connection (AA101 at 2:55pm to DCA).
1223 to DFW cancelled at the same time and so did 67 to AUS.
It's not DCA - have they decided to postpone stating JFK back up?
Something going on. The 10:20 am from SJU to JFK is cancelled On Sunday, as of 4:02 pm.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
What if I don't want a refund? I want to fly the same fare next weekend. $455 DEN-LAX-JFK rt in F....
That doesn't sound like the most direct routing, or one that AA would have much interest in opening up inventory for on a different date.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
A quick AM data point from Long Island at 730AM EST - snowfall total predictions increased overnight - 18 to 24 inches across a band extending over the EWR, JFK and LGA areas. Snow not expected to stop until around 6am Sunday AM. We have 5 inches already in .western Nassau.

Snow removal will be ongoing but those who have transit plans Sunday thru NYC area airports may be wise to consider re-route/rescheduling. Be safe all.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by iplaybass
Managing to get all 4 of us out of SXM tomorrow, forced overnight in CLT. This has got to be a logistics nightmare to get pax to & from here with the reduced non-Saturday frequencies.
Not only are the pax needing to be transported, but the equipment is all out of place too. Expect there to be a few days of scramble mode after the airports open.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by SJC AA
That doesn't sound like the most direct routing, or one that AA would have much interest in opening up inventory for on a different date.
Inventory for next week is there. Opening up inventory is definitely not the issue. My gripe is that the policy of just letting you change with such a short window is customer unfriendly. If you go somewhere for a weekend, you're definitely very unlikely to be interested in going Monday to Wednesday.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Made it to LA! Had to overnight in Chicago on what must have been one of the last flights out of LGA on Friday night (UPG cleared too!)
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by george 3
A quick AM data point from Long Island at 730AM EST - snowfall total predictions increased overnight - 18 to 24 inches across a band extending over the EWR, JFK and LGA areas. Snow not expected to stop until around 6am Sunday AM. We have 5 inches already in .western Nassau.

Snow removal will be ongoing but those who have transit plans Sunday thru NYC area airports may be wise to consider re-route/rescheduling. Be safe all.
Looking around at flight activity on FlightAware ... CLT is still basically shut down. DCA has seen zero arrivals since 430pm Friday with a smattering of departures that ended by 730. PHL shut down late Friday evening. LGA/JFK do not appear to have been able to operate the first departures today like they were hoping to at least at LGA; JFK got at least some random carriers' international departures out, mainly prior to 630am.

Going to be quite a long recovery.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by phlwookie
LGA/JFK do not appear to have been able to operate the first departures today like they were hoping to at least at LGA
Yeah, the morning LGA ops plan was scuttled late yesterday afternoon when the forecast for NYC worsened. Certainly a good decision by AA, as Central Par had already received 6 inches by 7am this morning. (24 hours ago, they were telling us the snow wouldn't even start until around that time!)
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:31 am

Looking around at flight activity on FlightAware ... CLT is still basically shut down. DCA has seen zero arrivals since 430pm Friday with a smattering of departures that ended by 730. PHL shut down late Friday evening. LGA/JFK do not appear to have been able to operate the first departures today like they were hoping to at least at LGA; JFK got at least some random carriers' international departures out, mainly prior to 630am.

Looks like the first wave of arrivals is starting to come into CLT shortly. Not sure about departures though, but looks like most of the afternoon flights are showing as on time. As long as CLT can get back on track soon that should be a huge help with PHL, DC and NYC issues the rest of today and tomorrow.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
NY1 is saying now that the snow is likely to be largely over by around midnight tonight (Saturday). I hope that means things will be reasonably OK by Monday morning at LGA, which is when I'm supposed to fly out now.

I don't know what the situation is elsewhere in the city, but where I live (Inwood, Upper Manhattan) things are honestly not terrible. There's about a foot or so, give or take, on the ground, but winds are mostly OK. Actually, most businesses are open - I just had brunch at my local restaurant, then went to Target. Just called the local coffee house and found they're open as well.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Just got an e-mail from AA saying pax originating in PHX 1/24 & 1/25 are 'encouraged' to arrive 3 hrs before departure.

Wonder how much of that is AA ops from the storm & how much is TSA not planning for increased traffic due to the storm?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by iplaybass
Managing to get all 4 of us out of SXM tomorrow, forced overnight in CLT. This has got to be a logistics nightmare to get pax to & from here with the reduced non-Saturday frequencies.
SXM escape was made much more (alliteration!) definitely difficult due (I did it again!) to an AA 757 breakdown on the runway on Wednesday evening. Pilot lined up twice on the runway & the wheel got stuck 90 degrees sideway.

This mean another 200 pax trying to beat the storm and making seats harder to find.

Initially were due to leave SXM Saturday on the n/s, got some advice from iplaybass and used EF to move out flight to Friday, SXM-MIA-JFK. The JFK flight, due to arrive JFK @2300 last night got canceled while we were transiting through customs. Hours later we would learn the Saturday flight would get cancelled anyway so at least we're in the US.

The good news is we've got a place to crash with plenty of cousins our kids age to play. The bad news is were rebooked on Tuesday PM to return to JFK.

One question about expertflyer, how accurate is it with real-time information? Does it give live seat information or is it likely to give slightly less than accurate seat information during crazy times like the storm?

when I was on the phone with The AAge t I was looking at expertflyer and requesting flights that showed J availability. Her response to me was that both of these flights were completely booked.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:42 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GloverParker
All I can say is stay away from DCA/IAD/BWI whatever you do -- probably at least until Tuesday and maybe later -- we are getting hammered and the new weather runs are showing even more snow than earlier projections.
We're getting hammered here in Arlington. I'm scheduled to fly out late Monday, but honestly there's no way I think we'll be dug out in time to actually get to the airport to take my flight even if it does go. Wonder how long until they extend the rebooking window...
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Not only are the pax needing to be transported, but the equipment is all out of place too. Expect there to be a few days of scramble mode after the airports open.
I'm going to give Parker & Co some credit for their decision to completely shut down CLT on Friday. By flying all planes out of CLT on Thursday night, the planes and crews could sleep in blizzard-free spokes, so they'll all be rested and ready to fly back to CLT the minute that CLT is ready for them.

Had AA attempted to fly some planes into CLT on Friday, crews might have been snowed in at their CLT homes instead of lounging at the dumpy airport motor lodge at the blizzard-free spokes, complicating the service recovery. Plus, without any AA metal at the CLT airport, snow removal is that much easier. Hope they were able to do the same at DCA, PHL, LGA and JFK. If so, then getting back to normal may not be quite as difficult.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by txrus
Just got an e-mail from AA saying pax originating in PHX 1/24 & 1/25 are 'encouraged' to arrive 3 hrs before departure.

Wonder how much of that is AA ops from the storm & how much is TSA not planning for increased traffic due to the storm?
Just drove by KPHX. They appear to have about 10 large aircraft parked off to the side (unusual location), likely the repositioned planes out of PHL,CLT. The taxiway is about 20 deep of american and southwest planes. Looks ugly out there. There is a large contingent of PHX-CLT fans trying to get out to the football that game that is now in limbo...

So CLT actually stayed open and was staffed yesterday and today. I know airlines don't like to strand people but I gotta imagine that for the heavy hub-hub routes that it would have made sense to let those go through. Now they have a HUGE back log to work through. Certainly diminishes my confidence in their commitment to deliver rain or shine and I would limit my discretionary travel in the future based on their lack of commitment there. I'd rather have the choice to be stranded closer to my destination than stranded back home with a 4-6 day delay to get me where I need to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.