Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines and Winter Storm Jonas Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
22-24 Jan 2015: Cancellations at CLT, BWI, DCA, EWR, IAD, JFK, LGA, PHL
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources.

Information from AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread)

Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.[/B]
)
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to FAA ATCSCC OIS (airport status issues)

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2016 Guide to compensation thread.

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
Within the U.S.

Language	   Phone	Hours (CT)
English	          800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
Spanish	          800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
Japanese	  800-237-0027	6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin Chinese  800-492-8095	7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily

Hearing & speech impaired	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
Print Wikipost

Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Superguy
That sucks.

Had I been able to hold a seat, the trip might have been saved. Oh well.
This is a case where purchasing via an OTA (Orbitz?) may allow you to cancel and get a refund within 24 hours of booking, but they are not required to do that. Check their policy to find out what they offer.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
This is a case where purchasing via an OTA (Orbitz?) may allow you to cancel and get a refund within 24 hours of booking, but they are not required to do that. Check their policy to find out what they offer.
Normally I just book thru AA.com. This time around, I have a voucher from a cancelled international trip this past summer. So I have to go to the airport and ticket it.

On another note, I booked this upcoming trip as 2 one ways. Typically what I'll do is book it as refundable economy, then as it gets closer and the trip is firmed up, I'll change it to a non-refundable F ticket.

Of course, Sunday's outbound was cancelled and they left the reservation open but cancelled the itinerary so I could use the value. I went to rebook the trip last night for Feb 7th and they told me that I could either take a change fee for $200 and rebook the ticket, or just take the refund and book another ticket due to the weather?

If they're willing to refund the money, why can't they just rebook the ticket without penalty?

Now I have to rebook using the remainder of the initial voucher and head to the airport to ticket it AGAIN while waiting for them to refund to ANOTHER voucher.

Makes no sense.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by Superguy
Normally I just book thru AA.com. This time around, I have a voucher from a cancelled international trip this past summer. So I have to go to the airport and ticket it.

On another note, I booked this upcoming trip as 2 one ways. Typically what I'll do is book it as refundable economy, then as it gets closer and the trip is firmed up, I'll change it to a non-refundable F ticket.

Of course, Sunday's outbound was cancelled and they left the reservation open but cancelled the itinerary so I could use the value. I went to rebook the trip last night for Feb 7th and they told me that I could either take a change fee for $200 and rebook the ticket, or just take the refund and book another ticket due to the weather?

If they're willing to refund the money, why can't they just rebook the ticket without penalty?

Now I have to rebook using the remainder of the initial voucher and head to the airport to ticket it AGAIN while waiting for them to refund to ANOTHER voucher.

Makes no sense.
It is the exact reason I filed a DOT complaint, they canceled the flight and then they want to charge a change fee as well.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zabes64
It is the exact reason I filed a DOT complaint, they canceled the flight and then they want to charge a change fee as well.
Their rationale apparently was that it was outside the waiver window.

Well, hello, I understand the weather isn't necessarily their fault, but if they can't get me down there, it made the whole trip pointless at that time. Best we could reschedule it for 2 weeks later.

I'm not concerned so much about getting the refund. It's not my money, and it was a voucher anyway (a previously canned work trip). If it were my money, it'd be a different story.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
and I have no problem with paying the fare difference, but fare difference PLUS a change fee is ridiculous
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zabes64
and I have no problem with paying the fare difference, but fare difference PLUS a change fee is ridiculous
Yeah. A change fee to actually fly but refund the ticket otherwise - and then buy a new one instead of just changing the ticket? Ridiculous. It cost them more time and money in dealing with me and processing a refund then they would have to just change the ticket. And of course, with using a voucher, it cost me more in time and money having to go to the airport and paying parking fees.

All just to get the original itinerary I bought just shifted 2 weeks later.

I guess the thought never occurred to them that the weather and not being able to get a flight might actually make some trips pointless and need to occur much later than a few days after the fact.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 6:14 am

Our 2nd leg of the original flt from MZT to LGA via DFW, arriving LGA @ 8:53 pm on Fri, 1/22 was cancelled (e-mail cancellation notice was sent ~ noon MZT time on the 21st). Talked to Mexico City AA agent & rebooked flt which was scheduled to arrive JFK on Sat, 1/23. Received the 2nd cancellation notice few hrs later & rebooked flt which was schd to arrive LGA on Sun @ 11:31 pm on Sun. Received 3rd cancellation notice on Sat & finally got a flt to JFK which arrived @ 5:40 am on Thur, 1/28. . . 5 days + 9 hrs after the original schedule. We spent 5 extra days in sunny MZT.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Been meaning to ask...

During the weekend of the storm, everyone was throwing out ridiculous wait times of over 2 hrs. I observed that these were for the PLT line and elite lines.

Now Im not elite but each time I called the 4337300 number, I got in within 1 minute. Over 5 times, from Friday through Monday, I got a human on the phone in less than a minute. Is that the norm? Were the LONG wait times listed only for the ExPlt and Plt desks? If so, as an elite, are you..."stuck" with only using those lines or can't your itineraries be handled by the "cattle class" 4337300 line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.