Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR

Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines and Winter Storm Jonas Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
22-24 Jan 2015: Cancellations at CLT, BWI, DCA, EWR, IAD, JFK, LGA, PHL
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources.

Information from AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread)

Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.[/B]
)
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to FAA ATCSCC OIS (airport status issues)

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2016 Guide to compensation thread.

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
Within the U.S.

Language	   Phone	Hours (CT)
English	          800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
Spanish	          800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
Japanese	  800-237-0027	6 a.m.  12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin Chinese  800-492-8095	7 a.m.  12 midnight, Daily

Hearing & speech impaired	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
Print Wikipost

Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR

Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
On 22 January, AA made the following announcement about flight alterations relating to Jonas:

Originally Posted by AA
  • Charlotte Douglas International Airport CLT: We’ll cancel all flights Friday. No aircraft will remain overnight Wednesday evening as meteorologists anticipate 1/2 an inch of ice. We plan on resuming operations Saturday morning.
  • Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport DCA, Washington Dulles International IAD and Baltimore-Washington International BWI: We’ll reduce the operation Friday afternoon at all three airports. No aircraft will remain overnight Friday, and we’ll cancel all operations at these three airports Saturday. We plan on resuming operations around noon Sunday.
  • Philadelphia International PHL: We’ll reduce the operation Friday evening, and no aircraft will remain overnight Friday. All flights will be cancelled Saturday, and we plan on resuming operations Sunday morning.
  • New York LaGuardia LGA, New York JFK and Newark International EWR: All American Eagle operations will be cancelled Saturday. For mainline, we plan to cancel the operation after the late morning departures for the remainder of the day. We plan on resuming operations Sunday at all three New York-area airports.
This thread is being set up to discuss the impacts of this storm, and how people can cope with the disruptions. As appropriate, please add to the wiki.

~AAdvantage moderation team

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 22, 2016 at 4:14 pm Reason: Move text
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:23 pm

Winter Storm - NYC area

I just paid for a ticket (LAX-JFK) in I class, without realizing there was an upcoming blizzard in NYC.

When will AA issue a travel advisory? This is a meeting that involves multiple parties, so needs to be scheduled a bit in advance. I called the ExP desk and one rep said it should be some time today (though the days almost over now).

Being that I live in San Diego, I never worry about weather .
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
The track and intensity of the storm, and how badly (or not) it will impact cities up and down the east coast from BOS - NYC - PHL - WAS is very up in the air right now. I am certain a travel advisory will be issued related to this storm, but would not expect it for a couple of days yet, as the forecast firms up. And should the storm look like it will track far enough south, it is possible cities like NYC may get left out of the advisory. But at this point, all of us , including the meteorologists, can only make educated guesses.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Is this the winter storm that's supposed to hit NYC this weekend? I'm in the same boat but am so far cautiously optimistic about its track.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
As of this writing, the forecast models are in pretty good agreement that there will be a storm. Many are indicating at least the possibility of big snows, but it's simply too early to determine how much or where. This appears to be a classic winter storm setup in the VA-DC-PHL-NYC area where temps will be near freezing, which means that a difference in storm track 100 miles to the west or east could be the difference between a foot of snow and next to nothing in the cities in this region. Further inland and at higher elevations, all snow is always more likely, but for coastal storms, they have to toss moisture further inland as well, which is how the big cities can get a big snowfall if they're cold enough while places such as Pittsburgh may be colder but get far less.

Two main factors will affect whether NYC gets more snow: where the rain/snow line sets up and how far away the storm passes. Some models are indicating the maximum precip will be over the Virginia area with decreasing snowfall amounts as you go north, even if it happens to be an all-snow event. But it's really, really hard to forecast snowfall amounts on Tuesday evening for an event that is mainly a Friday PM/Saturday storm.

Living in PHL and seeing this many times, personally, I wouldn't do anything to reservations before Wednesday night or Thursday morning, and I would think AA may issue travel waivers in that rough timeframe assuming we're still trending towards a larger snow event. If the forecast models trend towards a big snow and are in general agreement, I would consider changing plans only at that point. Often the forecasts are decent, but sometimes they've been complete busts, and 3-4 days out they're more likely to be a bust than within 36 hours of the start.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by ty97
The track and intensity of the storm, and how badly (or not) it will impact cities up and down the east coast from BOS - NYC - PHL - WAS is very up in the air right now. I am certain a travel advisory will be issued related to this storm, but would not expect it for a couple of days yet, as the forecast firms up. And should the storm look like it will track far enough south, it is possible cities like NYC may get left out of the advisory. But at this point, all of us , including the meteorologists, can only make educated guesses.
Agreed. We are days away from seeing anything. I'd expect an advisory only after the national weather service confirms something.

Based on the way AA has operated in the past, expect it no sooner than 12 hours in advance of any possible issue...
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Is this the winter storm that's supposed to hit NYC this weekend? I'm in the same boat but am so far cautiously optimistic about its track.
Yes
Im just hoping I can plan accordingly.
AA has been proactive with weather lately, so I hope they make a decision soon.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Supposed to fly to NY.c on Saturday for a DO. Hoping they issue a waiver so I can change to Friday. My connection is through CLT which currently is predicted to get ice.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by phlwookie
As of this writing, the forecast models are in pretty good agreement that there will be a storm. Many are indicating at least the possibility of big snows, but it's simply too early to determine how much or where. This appears to be a classic winter storm setup in the VA-DC-PHL-NYC area where temps will be near freezing, which means that a difference in storm track 100 miles to the west or east could be the difference between a foot of snow and next to nothing in the cities in this region. Further inland and at higher elevations, all snow is always more likely, but for coastal storms, they have to toss moisture further inland as well, which is how the big cities can get a big snowfall if they're cold enough while places such as Pittsburgh may be colder but get far less.

Two main factors will affect whether NYC gets more snow: where the rain/snow line sets up and how far away the storm passes. Some models are indicating the maximum precip will be over the Virginia area with decreasing snowfall amounts as you go north, even if it happens to be an all-snow event. But it's really, really hard to forecast snowfall amounts on Tuesday evening for an event that is mainly a Friday PM/Saturday storm.

Living in PHL and seeing this many times, personally, I wouldn't do anything to reservations before Wednesday night or Thursday morning, and I would think AA may issue travel waivers in that rough timeframe assuming we're still trending towards a larger snow event. If the forecast models trend towards a big snow and are in general agreement, I would consider changing plans only at that point. Often the forecasts are decent, but sometimes they've been complete busts, and 3-4 days out they're more likely to be a bust than within 36 hours of the start.
The weather reports on NY TV this morning seem to indicate that PHL will be hit with about a foot (or more) in the American and European models. The models for NY provide a different forecast for NYC but not more than a foot (and more likely 6 inches). In one of the models, the further you go out on to Long Island the more likely it will be a mix.

Still too early for advisories.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:43 am

I disagree. They know there is something coming. Whether it be 4 inches or 12 inches they know there will be disruptions. If people want to go today or tomorrow, what's the harm? Get them cleared from the phone lines and the airport now before the real mess starts and have them use inventory that is open now. I don't get the logic.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
It's not so much the snow I'm worried about (JFK can handle it) it's the wind.

Every forecast and model I've seen shows high winds in NYC on Saturday. Sustains of 25-30mph with gusts up to 40. Pretty sure that's enough to cancel my 8AM Saturday flight, and I'd love the chance to change it before all the Friday flights fill up.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
I'm actually surprised after the models last night agreed that a fairly major storm will hit DC starting between 10am to 2pm that they didn't issue an advisory.

Looks like I'll be staying the weekend somewhere
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by COnned

Every forecast and model I've seen shows high winds in NYC on Saturday. Sustains of 25-30mph with gusts up to 40. Pretty sure that's enough to cancel my 8AM Saturday flight, and I'd love the chance to change it before all the Friday flights fill up.
Exactly my point. Just issue the advisory to alleviate some congestion (airport and phone) down the line.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by COnned

I wish they would too. I looked what it would cost to change and there are lots of options for me Friday if I'm willing to pay $270 to change right now. But I know those options will slide away the longer they wait to issue a waiver.

Of course I'm scheduled to connect in Charlotte to get to NY, which is supposed to get ice Friday and then snow Saturday.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
A friend has a one way award ticket into IAD this weekend. If AA issues a weather advisory that includes IAD can she call in to cancel the trip and redeposit the miles without fee?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.