Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines and Winter Storm Jonas Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
22-24 Jan 2015: Cancellations at CLT, BWI, DCA, EWR, IAD, JFK, LGA, PHL
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources.

Information from AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread)

Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.[/B]
)
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to FAA ATCSCC OIS (airport status issues)

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2016 Guide to compensation thread.

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
Within the U.S.

Language	   Phone	Hours (CT)
English	          800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
Spanish	          800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
Japanese	  800-237-0027	6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin Chinese  800-492-8095	7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily

Hearing & speech impaired	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
Print Wikipost

Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:01 pm

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:24 pm
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt

I jumped from UA because of the dead grass but was hoping for something better with AA. AA twitter stepped up but it was still a 5 hr adventure. Add that to the 29 hours in FL to beat the storm and AA owes me close to a day and a half of my life back (yea I know so no need to reply to the previous comment )
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: Avis CC, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
2+ hour wait times on the phone tonight (I'm a 2016 exp). First outbound flight is delayed causing my other three segments to be hosed on my way home.

Called in for a callback at 7:45 tonight, it's 10:48 and I'm still waiting (more than 2 hours, eh?)
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:28 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Well I'm exec plat and didn't even get the option to call back (hung up after two 1 hour on hold), would have liked the call back option
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:45 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I have a non status friend who was with me at a wedding in Switzerland and is unfortunately on a GVA-LHR-JFK-SFO award today. She got to GVA this morning to learn LHR-JFK-SFO segments are cancelled due to weather. They want her to fly to London and they will work on things there. I messaged her to let her know LHR-SEA and LHR-LAX both have a few seats. What are the odds AA will rebook her on BA or BA/AS metal? Does being on an award limit the options AA will allow?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
In LHR, going to DFW, and my flight from DFW to DCA is cancelled. All flights to DCA are also cancelled on Monday (flights to IAD flying on Monday) but full. Not sure why the afternoon flights from DFW-DCA are showing on aa.com as flying, but they are not.
Now booked on Tuesday.

On hold on EXP line for over 2 hours, but gave up. But arrived at LHR and checked in at Flagship checkin and agent tried lots of options including routing DFW-LAX-DCA/IAD, even on UA, but all is booked.

And the LHR-DFW has been downgraded from a 77W to a 772.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: Avis CC, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy
2+ hour wait times on the phone tonight (I'm a 2016 exp). First outbound flight is delayed causing my other three segments to be hosed on my way home.

Called in for a callback at 7:45 tonight, it's 10:48 and I'm still waiting (more than 2 hours, eh?)
They called me back at 1:58am and I've been on hold for ~6 minutes. Let's see if we can get this resolved on the phone..
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:26 am

Tuesday PM flight into DCA...AA status site shows scheduled, EF shows scheduled, seat map shows plenty of open seats, but AA flight search (for purchase) shows no result - not even "not available", just no listing. Think they are simply holding back the whole flight to accommodate overflow from folks displaced through Monday, or is something weirder going on?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: Kettle One ;)
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Tuesday PM flight into DCA...AA status site shows scheduled, EF shows scheduled, seat map shows plenty of open seats, but AA flight search (for purchase) shows no result - not even "not available", just no listing. Think they are simply holding back the whole flight to accommodate overflow from folks displaced through Monday, or is something weirder going on?
Maybe a bunch of rebooked people haven't selected seats yet.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Well, our PHX-BWI for today was cancelled overnight. (We are in Cabo right now.) Looks like we will be stuck someplace until Wednesday. Holding for AA right now. The automated system got me to someone quickly-but they were not International
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
How realistic is a flight arriving into JFK early tomorrow afternoon? On Thursday, I took the waiver and re-booked from 1134 on Sunday to the same flight on Monday. Turns out to be a good idea, as Sunday's flight was canceled on Friday. I figured JFK would be operational by tomorrow. Now not so sure. Worth calling AA? Caveat: I'm in a wheelchair. Worth Five star service? Advice. Talk me down, someone.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by thegrailer
I jumped from UA because of the dead grass but was hoping for something better with AA. AA twitter stepped up but it was still a 5 hr adventure. Add that to the 29 hours in FL to beat the storm and AA owes me close to a day and a half of my life back (yea I know so no need to reply to the previous comment )
Let's do the math. There are over 10,000 flight cancellations over the last four days. Average of 100 per flight at say 80% capacity. That's 80,000 pax that need to be put on other flights. Aircraft are out of position and need to be re-positioned today and tomorrow. Staff has to get to work at JFK, LGA, DCA, PHL. That will also be a huge challenge -30.5 inches fell at JFK - a record. One of the AA call centers is in NC so who knows what kind of staffing is there. Two hours is frustrating to wait but you do have to consider the logistical issues.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Totally awesome recovery by AA for my nonstatus friend who was almost stuck in London. Turns out, she had already been rebooked on the LAX-SFO nonstop, so doesnt even have to try SEA or LAX. She said she wanted a nonstop when she booked but nothing was available, so in the end the weather worked in her favor.
We flew GVA-LHR just now and the agents were telling us they are using YVR/SEA/SFO/LAX/PHX to reroute anyone who is west of Mississippi. All Tpacs are heavily loaded they say, good OpUp chances for J to F I suspect.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
Hold times for the EXP line seem to have improved now. I only had to wait 15 minutes.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ysolde
How realistic is a flight arriving into JFK early tomorrow afternoon? On Thursday, I took the waiver and re-booked from 1134 on Sunday to the same flight on Monday. Turns out to be a good idea, as Sunday's flight was canceled on Friday. I figured JFK would be operational by tomorrow. Now not so sure. Worth calling AA? Caveat: I'm in a wheelchair. Worth Five star service? Advice. Talk me down, someone.
There will undoubtedly be some knock on effects, but you will likely be ok. See the wikipost and see what the weather reports are predicting.

One of our members, Tom911, is in NYC right now. He reported high winds and lots of snow yesterday, but last night he had great views of the lit up New Jersey shore from his upper floor hotel room.,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.