Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines and Winter Storm Jonas Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
22-24 Jan 2015: Cancellations at CLT, BWI, DCA, EWR, IAD, JFK, LGA, PHL
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources.

Information from AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread)

Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.[/B]
)
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to FAA ATCSCC OIS (airport status issues)

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2016 Guide to compensation thread.

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
Within the U.S.

Language	   Phone	Hours (CT)
English	          800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
Spanish	          800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
Japanese	  800-237-0027	6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin Chinese  800-492-8095	7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily

Hearing & speech impaired	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
Print Wikipost

Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:34 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
AA tweeted out that all CLt flights are canceled for Friday and to check your flts schedule. Problem is the flt schedule still shows the flts as happening.
Come on people...get it together.
Also the travel waiver is useless for my weekend flights to rebook to next weekend. The waiver only allows me to rebook my Fri-Sun flts to Mon-Wed flts. That's no help to me at all!!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by wrp96
They probably just haven't gotten around to cancelling it yet. I would call back and try and reroute through MIA or even DFW.
Originally Posted by wrp96
With people cancelling, rerouting etc, it is very possible that availability has come open on other routes.
Thank you both

I re-rang AA to see if I could re-route, got scheduled for a callback, while I was waiting I got the email to say my CLT-LHR was cancelled. When I got the callback I was able to re-route via MIA
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
This is a good thing, makes NO sense to have all these folks stuck in CLT. Best I remember US would've never done this. Glad I'm retired.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
This is a good thing, makes NO sense to have all these folks stuck in CLT. Best I remember US would've never done this. Glad I'm retired.
I'd turn that observation around: my experience with pmUS was that they were very proactive about cancelling/rerouting in advance of known weather threatening a hub, and preferred to "strand" you at your origin if they were going to strand you. AA, on the other hand, likes to pull the Baghdad Bob routine and insist that everything is fine, everything is on schedule, you're just not seeing that aircraft at the gate because we've, um, equipped it with new stealth technology, yeah, that's it, and would overnight the whole world in ORD or DFW without a second thought.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Its really nasty here in Miami, but at least warm. I would expect delays in and out of MIA today. Happy that I got home last night. We had to fly around storms going all the way south to Galveston from Dallas. The upgrade list was out of control. I was number 12 out of 56 (772 flight). At least at the last minute I snagged a J seat. From what the FA told me a number of EXPs were sitting in the middle seats.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pandaperth
I have just spoken to AA and
it is not the case that ALL AA flights in/out of CLT tomorrow have been cancelled
The agent said all flights to/from airports in the North East have been cancelled, but others are still scheduled
and in particular my two flights - I'm flying MCO-xCLT-LHR
but I'm still worried

Bonehead - can you provide a link to the Ice Map?
I would request that they switch you to MCO-MIA-LHR as quickly as possible and not set foot in CLT personally.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Plat 1.7MM miler
2 one way tickets not good due to Jonas

I like to book one way tickets for my travel because there is more flexibility and I no longer have any single airline loyalty.

I had a Jan 23rd LGA-ABQ flight booked as an outbound one way. For the return one-way, I have a Jan 29 ABQ-JFK flight booked. Both on AA this time.

My Jan 23rd flight was cancelled due to Storm Jonas. I received a refund. I could not get AA to issue me refund on my non-refundable return one-way since it was outside of the storm window and a separate ticket. The AA Platinum desk wouldn't help me as they said there is nothing they can do. I am now trying to work this out with AA Customer Relations but its likely to take weeks according to their automated email system.

Any advice on how I can optimize my chances for a successful refund on my return one-way?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Looks like Delta is cancelling a lot more flights out of LGA/JFK tomorrow AM than AA....interesting.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ExpertSkier
I like to book one way tickets for my travel because there is more flexibility and I no longer have any single airline loyalty.

I had a Jan 23rd LGA-ABQ flight booked as an outbound one way. For the return one-way, I have a Jan 29 ABQ-JFK flight booked. Both on AA this time.

My Jan 23rd flight was cancelled due to Storm Jonas. I received a refund. I could not get AA to issue me refund on my non-refundable return one-way since it was outside of the storm window and a separate ticket. The AA Platinum desk wouldn't help me as they said there is nothing they can do. I am now trying to work this out with AA Customer Relations but its likely to take weeks according to their automated email system.

Any advice on how I can optimize my chances for a successful refund on my return one-way?
No. This is a risk you take by booking one-way tickets. (Since you were flying AA in both directions on this particular trip, why did you not just book a roundtrip this time around?)

While anything is possible, I'd be surprised if you got a refund for your ABQ-JFK one-way.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
AA, on the other hand, likes to pull the Baghdad Bob routine and insist that everything is fine
Agree with that. Last time I flew AA in a snowstorm, they happily pushed us out of ORD knowing full well that DCA was getting snowed in, then dumped us in PHL (where all the staff had gone home for the night) and shrugged.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by 869
exp line will call me back in 2 hours. kettle line answered with no wait. Love the New American
I've called the exp line a couple of times these past 2 days - went through automated callback when greeting said over 2 hour wait. Both calls we returned in under 20 minutes. Strange....

On the other hand, using the Twitter reply feature has always proved positive for me. They respond within minutes!

Cheers.

Last edited by msv777; Jan 22, 2016 at 1:13 pm
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:25 pm

Noticed they just had a round of JFK Sunday afternoon cancellations come through at 2:02pm central including my connection (AA101 at 2:55pm to DCA).
1223 to DFW cancelled at the same time and so did 67 to AUS.
It's not DCA - have they decided to postpone stating JFK back up?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz, SPG, Amex MR, Mahalo Rewards
My colleague is on a flight getting to jfk on Monday morning that was cancelled. My flight sunday afternoon still shows on schedule.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec

My day flight to JFK today from SFO was cancelled yesterday. I guess in advance of the big storm. I had to take red-eye through Dallas to get here by noon. All other routes were sold out!

Stand by lists are growing quite long.

Cheers.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL SM
Wife's flights are still a go it appears, but man they are right on the cusp.

Sunday:
AA 1961 MSP-CLT (departs 6:49 am)
AA 4955 CLT-IAD (departs 11:45 am)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.