Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines and Winter Storm Jonas Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
22-24 Jan 2015: Cancellations at CLT, BWI, DCA, EWR, IAD, JFK, LGA, PHL
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources.

Information from AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread)

Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.[/B]
)
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to FAA ATCSCC OIS (airport status issues)

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2016 Guide to compensation thread.

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
Within the U.S.

Language	   Phone	Hours (CT)
English	          800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
Spanish	          800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
Japanese	  800-237-0027	6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin Chinese  800-492-8095	7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily

Hearing & speech impaired	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
Print Wikipost

Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by RuesterGAGT
Wife's flights are still a go it appears, but man they are right on the cusp.

Sunday:
AA 1961 MSP-CLT (departs 6:49 am)
AA 4955 CLT-IAD (departs 11:45 am)
I'm going to say it's unlikely. United just added another wave of cancellations until early evening Sunday in DC. I would not be surprised if AA did similar,
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
Originally Posted by wrp96
I'm going to say it's unlikely. United just added another wave of cancellations until early evening Sunday in DC. I would not be surprised if AA did similar,
Originally Posted by RuesterGAGT
Wife's flights are still a go it appears, but man they are right on the cusp.

Sunday:
AA 1961 MSP-CLT (departs 6:49 am)
AA 4955 CLT-IAD (departs 11:45 am)

I am doing this on Monday:

AA 1859 SFO-CLT (departs 7:15 am PT)
AA 4498 CLT-YYZ (departs 4:30 pm PT)

This will be interesting I hope to have missed the tail of the snarl and the mess.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:13 pm

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
All I can say is stay away from DCA/IAD/BWI whatever you do -- probably at least until Tuesday and maybe later -- we are getting hammered and the new weather runs are showing even more snow than earlier projections.

Naturally, this is the one weekend I'm home. Not sure if that's good or bad (at least there's plenty of wine).
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
All JFK flights cancelled from tonight. Poor waver policy.

My SO and I bought a ticket to go to NY this weekend months ago. We were supposed to fly LAX-JFK on the redeye tonight. Even though the flight would have arrived at 6AM, it was canceled like every other flight into JFK.

AA is offering change waver as long as one can travel before Jan 27. I am going for a weekend to see some shows. There is clearly no other weekend between now and Feb 27...
Furthermore, AA does not want to re-compute the fare based on the fares at the original date of issue if I try to change for next weekend. I think this is very inflexible on the part of AA.

Should I escalate the issue to a supervisor? Any chance a supervisor might better understand my point of view that I bought this ticket in October and that it would be fair to allow me the use of the fares available then? Is there anybody who got a similar experience of more success?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by chuck1
Noticed they just had a round of JFK Sunday afternoon cancellations come through at 2:02pm central including my connection (AA101 at 2:55pm to DCA).
I arrived at LGA at 4pm this afternoon to find my Sunday return flight starting with JFK-DFW at 1455 cancelled. Grabbed alternate flights in the AC for Monday as I was told nothing was available the remainder of Sunday. Got to my hotel and saw one open seat on an evening nonstop JFK-SFO and grabbed it. No delay at all on the EXP line which took me by surprise. Not the most convenient flight time, but would rather be home Sunday night than Monday night, given the choice.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
If the flight was cancelled, you should be able to simply get a refund.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I think if you are re-booking your travel within the fee-waiver time frame (which is until 1/27), it just has to be done with the same booking class being available. If you want to go beyond that grace period, then they just use the value of your ticket against the price of a new ticket. However, you are also entitled to receive a full refund.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Even though the flight would have arrived at 6AM, it was canceled like every other flight into JFK.
The snow will start here at/around midnight (quite a bit earlier than originally expected) and we have a blizzard warning (not a watch, a warning) starting at midnight. That is why the flight was canceled.

As SJC AA indicated, the restrictions of the waiver only apply if your flight is intended to operate. Once your flight is canceled, you are eligible for a refund on your full itinerary. Go to https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/ to request your refund.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by GloverParker
(at least there's plenty of wine).
^
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:26 pm

While I certainly feel for everyone impacted by this mess, I gotta say - it's been a heckuva fun day to sit and watch Flightradar24. All sorts of interesting stuff going on - touch-and-goes, holding patterns (at one time earlier QR and BA 777s were circling Dulles for 30 minutes), and interesting equipment swaps (UA currently flying a 767 from EWR to CLE - sounds like the old days!). I definitely do not envy the folks at the majors who have to try to untangle all this mess once the snow stops falling.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
What if I don't want a refund? I want to fly the same fare next weekend. $455 DEN-LAX-JFK rt in F....
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
What if I don't want a refund? I want to fly the same fare next weekend. $455 DEN-LAX-JFK rt in F....
You can't always get what you want.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The waiver is there for before the flight is actually cancelled. The exact terms of the waiver apply.

If the flight is cancelled, you are entitled to a full fee-free refund to your original form of payment.

If you don't want a refund, but want to reschedule and the terms of the waiver permit the rescheduling, AA will do that, but you have to meet the terms. If you don't, the choice is a refund or simply a dollar credit which you can use later against a new ticket.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Managing to get all 4 of us out of SXM tomorrow, forced overnight in CLT. This has got to be a logistics nightmare to get pax to & from here with the reduced non-Saturday frequencies.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by iplaybass
Managing to get all 4 of us out of SXM tomorrow, forced overnight in CLT. This has got to be a logistics nightmare to get pax to & from here with the reduced non-Saturday frequencies.
Just stay in SXM!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.