Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by nikelg
LGA – RDU Aug 30, 2017 AA 1669
RDU – LGA Aug 31, 2017 AA 4426

Full PDB both flights with several refills despite the short flight time. I’m not sure why this is so difficult for some crews or why AA allows the inconsistency. This is a very small thing that appears to generate a lot of goodwill when done right and very negative feelings when not done.
Year upon years ago as an IT contractor, my agency demanded a weekly status report of the tasks completed. After two months of no one commenting on all the miraculous things I'd done I stopped submitting the report. Still no one commented on the missing report. And even after 14 years on that assignment, no one asked so no one got.

My take is no one at AA really cares what the customer thinks or our complaints aren't getting to the right people/person. Once staff figures out they don't have to deliver PDBs, that nothing is going to happen, it's an easy conclusion.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408

My take is no one at AA really cares what the customer thinks or our complaints aren't getting to the right people/person. Once staff figures out they don't have to deliver PDBs, that nothing is going to happen, it's an easy conclusion.
I think management does care as this could/does affect revenue. But, management cannot 'force' them to do PDB. And as you say once the FA's realize they can play on their phones or socialize, without repercussions, they get lAAzy.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
9/4 AA 956 MIA-RDU 737-800: Full PDB ^^
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Global321
I think management does care as this could/does affect revenue. But, management cannot 'force' them to do PDB. And as you say once the FA's realize they can play on their phones or socialize, without repercussions, they get lAAzy.
If management truly cared, there are certainly mechanisms they could quickly implement to improve PDB delivery and penalize non-conforming FAs. Unlike some of us here, they AA's management doesn't rate PDB performance as truly integral to overall airline operations and performance.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
If management truly cared, there are certainly mechanisms they could quickly implement to improve PDB delivery and penalize non-conforming FAs. Unlike some of us here, they AA's management doesn't rate PDB performance as truly integral to overall airline operations and performance.

-FlyerBeek
If it is not in the union contract, the FA's don't need to do it. Not a lot management can do.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Global321
If it is not in the union contract, the FA's don't need to do it. Not a lot management can do.
I'd guess AA knows any changes to service delivery needs to be approved by the union ahead of schedule. If Mom & Dad are out of the house, no amount of instruction to the kids is guaranteed, UNLESS Mom & Dad are known to reprimand once failure to comply has been determined.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:08 am

8/25 AA#5529 DCA-PWM E170 - Full PDB
9/3 AA#5410 PWM-DCA CR9 - No PDB whatsoever, not even water.

On AA5410, my wife and I were the first to board the aircraft, and boarding took approximately 25 minutes. In fact, it was a full hour from boarding to the time we received any attention from the FC f/a (extremely leisurely service to the first three rows of FC after a smooth takeoff but without beginning any service). Considering complaining.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
AA 1107 today PHX to LAS no PDB
Flight attendants stayed up front and chatted
ORD based crew
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador
9/4 SEA-LAX AA396: No PDB
9/4 LAX-MIA AA1538: Choice of orange juice or water offered

9/5 MIA-CUN AA1157: Water offered

9/6 CUN-MIA AA1258: Full PDB offered (FA: "whatever you want")
9/6 MIA-SEA AA134: No PDB
(Catering wasn't loaded until after Group 3 boarded, and departure was delayed. FA took dinner and drink orders before takeoff.)
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:36 pm

9/8 ORD-MCO AA2351 - Full PDB from a FA with a GREAT attitude. Great service continued in the air. (I am sure it helped that only 5 of 16 seats were taken.)

Great Texas based crew.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by ShortTermParking
9/4 SEA-LAX AA396: No PDB
9/4 LAX-MIA AA1538: Choice of orange juice or water offered

9/5 MIA-CUN AA1157: Water offered

9/6 CUN-MIA AA1258: Full PDB offered (FA: "whatever you want")
9/6 MIA-SEA AA134: No PDB
(Catering wasn't loaded until after Group 3 boarded, and departure was delayed. FA took dinner and drink orders before takeoff.)
Um, chalk this one up as a win for good guys! Very surprised the FA would be willing to incur customs fees. Must have been a green Eagle Crew.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Um, chalk this one up as a win for good guys! Very surprised the FA would be willing to incur customs fees. Must have been a green Eagle Crew.
Eagle doesn't fly that route. If you check out that poster's results, that is abysmal. AA just doesn't seem to care about delivering upon its stated service standards.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
9/11 AA192 LAX-LAS B738 - No PDB Served - not even water.
9/13 AA1617 LAS-LAX A321 - Full PDB Offering in F. Excellent crew service that was completely night and day better vs the poor experience on my outbound flight (so gave them an AAplause certificate)

Last edited by fotoflyer88; Sep 14, 2017 at 1:15 am
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:09 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
ORD - MSP AA1409. 737-800 LAA Tray of water offered with "Water or anything else you'd like before we go?"
"May I have a Gin and Tonic Please?"
"Absolutely!"

Perfect. Oddly enough I reckon half the cabin declined anything.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
9/12 BTR-DFW AA2830 CR7: Full PDB
9/12 DFW-SHV AA2865 CR7: Full PDB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.