Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
As there is no pre-departure beverage service on American Airlines until further notice, and the thread was diverted by dilatory posts relatin to other topics dealt with elsewhere, this thread is closed until such time as PDB service is restored or is announced by AA to be restored. Dilatory posts have been deleted.

For further discussion on this issue, please see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ar-2020-a.html

Thank you,

robertablake likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
"I don't do 'pre-departures' anymore..."

I'm on the ground right now about to leave on ORD-STL. I'm in 1B. We're on time and will likely push early. Two FAs are chatting and one proudly declares, "I don't do pre-departures any more because of the contract." She went on to complain about an FA she worked with a few days earlier who did one, and she apparently didn't like that.

I've suspected that FAs have been doing this lately, but it's pretty amazing to hear them just outright declare it in front of pax. Interestingly neither of the FAs standing in the galley are wearing name tags. I assume that's intentional too.

I know the FAs don't care, and AA probably doesn't care either, but that sure does make me mad. If I declared my unwillingness to do my job in front of customers, I'd certainly get fired.
Spiff, enviroian, Gerbs and 17 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 7:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
i dont care if my bladder burst, I would have asked for 87 refills of my diet coke. make her work for those on the clock hours....
Old Jul 5, 2024, 7:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Contact AA, too, or nothing will ever change.
Spiff, enviroian, AAway and 16 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stant
i dont care if my bladder burst, I would have asked for 87 refills of my diet coke. make her work for those on the clock hours....
Given they aren't doing what they agreed to do already, they'll just continue to not do their job.

Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I know the FAs don't care, and AA probably doesn't care either, but that sure does make me mad. If I declared my unwillingness to do my job in front of customers, I'd certainly get fired.
This is the crux of the problem - Across the mickey mouse club of leaders - Carty, Arpey, Parker, Isom and their ilk, Vasu Raja was the only significant one I can recall who got fired. The rest take golden parachutes into retirement, no matter how poorly the company performed (or badly they behave - ahem $mi$ek); the Board are the same cronies. At the same time, FAs know they won't be fired and can blow off their job, because APFA and seniority ensure they can. Doing a piss poor job means that you eventually can make it to longhaul premium cabins, where you can just continue to embarrass yourself and the brand, all with no consequences.
dw, Spiff, enviroian and 13 others like this.

Last edited by Antarius; Jul 5, 2024 at 8:18 pm
Old Jul 5, 2024, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
I'm on the ground right now about to leave on ORD-STL. I'm in 1B. We're on time and will likely push early. Two FAs are chatting and one proudly declares, "I don't do pre-departures any more because of the contract." She went on to complain about an FA she worked with a few days earlier who did one, and she apparently didn't like that.

I've suspected that FAs have been doing this lately, but it's pretty amazing to hear them just outright declare it in front of pax. Interestingly neither of the FAs standing in the galley are wearing name tags. I assume that's intentional too.

Yes, I've strongly suspected this for a while - FAs who do PDBs are shunned by the majority of their colleagues who are too lazy do to so, because the contrast makes the lazy majority look bad. It's who they are.
cmd320, Hoi polloi and AJNEDC like this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 8:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by Antarius
Given they aren't doing what they agreed to do already, they'll just continue to not do their job.
thats what the call button is for.

Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
Yes, I've strongly suspected this for a while - FAs who do PDBs are shunned by the majority of their colleagues who are too lazy do to so, because the contrast makes the lazy majority look bad. It's who they are.
FWIW Ive had an offer for a PDB on virtually every flight this year. in fact the only recent flight i can think of where i didnt get an offer was when i was standby and had to sit in coach.
skylady likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
thats what the call button is for.
All that does is make a noise/light up some lights. It still doesn't guarantee service.

You can hit the call button before takeoff too.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 9:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.

FWIW Ive had an offer for a PDB on virtually every flight this year. in fact the only recent flight i can think of where i didnt get an offer was when i was standby and had to sit in coach.
Genuinely glad to hear that, though it's baffling to me given my own experiences. Possibly a lot of variability across routes and crew bases?
Old Jul 5, 2024, 9:19 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I really donít think that AA cares, even if itís because there are so many other issues they are preoccupied with currently (many of which are the results of their own past actions that backfired), the consistency of the soft product is near the bottom of the list right now.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 9:20 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Genuinely glad to hear that, though it's baffling to me given my own experiences. Possibly a lot of variability across routes and crew bases?
Definitely a difference between mainline and Eagle, where service tends to be better on the latter.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Write it in.
Spiff, ryanbriar and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2024, 9:38 pm

ive given up on trying to make any sense of the differing customer experience on AA flights.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 1:44 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Who knows if the contract even says anything about pre-departure services? From experience, I can tell you that most union members are poorly informed about what their contracts actually say (at least in the union I was in). This was probably just obnoxious grousing.
Old Jul 6, 2024, 2:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by javabytes
Write it in.
And ask for their name and employee number if they arenít properly identifying themselves with their badges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.