Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
8/4:

​​​​​​#1495 DCA-PHX, LAA 738, Full PDB (provided by a manager 'standing in' while we waited for another FA to arrive.)

#1434 PHX-ANC, LAA 738, water/oj tray (only offered after one passenger got up and interrupted gabbing FAs in the galley to request water.)
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:28 am

AA382 IAD-LAX
8/7 Monday

PDB of choice. Had my doubts during busy boarding process, but crew (LAA?) managed to squeeze it in at the end. +1
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
8/4:

AA 1121 RDU-CLT 1615-1725 737-800: No PDB
AA 660 CLT-SJC 1809-2036 A-320: Full PDB ^^

About what you'd expect
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
8/11:

AA 1076 DCA-ORD. Water and OJ tray offered. Perfunctory service performed by an old, tired crew. Lunch served from a cart in the aisle and pre-orders were not acknowledged. No drink refills offered in the air. Basically, the Qatar CEO's ideal characterization of mainline AA flight attendants.

in contrast

AA 3483 ORD-OKC (Envoy). Outstanding service from the lead FA. Full PDB and multiple proactive refills while airborne. Multiple passes of the snack basket. Blankets procured from the coach cabin upon request. I gave him a few AApplause certs.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
7/29 AA5944 LGB-PHX YV Full PDB Served
8/8 AA2023 PHX-LAX LUS Full PDB Served
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I think at this point we can assume 99% of the time as long as you know this is a LUS plane and crew you'll get a PDB of choice.

LAA FAs, crews and equipment are the ones that don't do their jobs for 85% of the PDB of time.

Keep writing in about LAA FAs not doing their jobs.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Aug 12, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
LUS A319 - SLC-PHX - PDB of choice!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:49 pm

8/12 - AA2539 - LAA - MIA-BOS - Full PDB

Excellent service. Well done LAA.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I just purchased my first ticket in AA in close to 20 years.......bought it in first on a very short flight - MIA MCO, on a 767. Flight is a week from Monday. Can't wait to see what happens!

I'm expecting the worse.
Well, I took the flight last Monday - boarded exactly ontime. Being in 2a which is the first row on the 767, I finally saw the dreaded tray of water and OJ. They put about 2 ounces of water and OJ in each glass.

I asked for a screwdriver, and was told what I've been reading about for years here - "once we're in the air". I ask about the inconsistency I've read about, and was again told "once we're in the air". Finally the FA said that she's made it. She came back with the 1/4 glass of OJ with a Tito's, and no ice and said "Here".

Once in the flight they were different people. Friendly and managed to make 2 drinks on the 38 minute flight with a snack basket.

It was exactly as expected. I'm just glad I"m a UA flyer. This never happens on UA.

I was almost antsy to wait and see what would happen, and it was as I expected. Why AA management tolerates this is beyond me.

Last edited by JerseyCityS; Aug 14, 2017 at 7:08 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Great post, JerseyCityS! During my status match to UA 1K challenge, I have never been denied a PDB when (though the percentage of the time isn't as good) I've been upgraded on UA. Can't say the same for AA this year, as my signature shows. For better or worse, the majority of my AA flights this year have either been international or LUS, so I've been lucky. On LAA flights its a crapshoot. Sad!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:58 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
On LAA flights its a crapshoot. Sad!
On LAA ORD-EWR flight yesterday. Full PBD offered by NYC (I guess JFK, but she said NYC) F/A.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LAA and Full PDB on LGA-ORD......today's 1130am flight.

Update: 2nd round of full PDB offered on a slight delay at gate. Apparently our plane hit a bird on the inbound to LGA from ORD, so mechanics are checking out the nose of the plane.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Aug 14, 2017 at 9:28 am
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
06AUG17 AA2312 DEN-ORD Full PDB
06AUG17 AA1079 ORD-DCA OJ/Water
12AUG17 AA1111 DCA-ORD FA offered full PDB but realized that the plane wasn't catered after taking our order (!)
12AUG17 AA1272 ORD-DEN Full PDB

Last edited by zpaul; Aug 16, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
10/16 US407 - PHL-PHX - only water offered "because we need to board as quickly as possible - there are a lot of connections"

Total laziness.
Lol this is typical Philly flight attendants not wanting to do any actual work. Sometimes I don't even get offered a drink....
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by zpaul
06AUG17 AA2312 DEN-ORD Full PDB
06AUG17 AA1079 ORD-DCA OJ/Water
12AUG17 AA1111 DCA-ORD FA tried to offer full PDB but realized that the plane wasn't catered after taking our order (!)
12AUG17 AA1272 ORD-DEN Full PDB

That DCA - ORD cracked me up. lol
zpaul likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.