Go Back   > > >
    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 12, 17, 8:26 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brc757rr View Post
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 18, 15, 8:08 am   #1
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

LGA-CLT-10/17 #816 PMUS A321-Full PDB
CLT-DTW-10/17 #1929 PMUS A319-Full PDB w/ refills
brc757rr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 15, 10:07 pm   #2

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
AA2386 DFW-MSY PMAA. Full-PDB.
AA2238 CLE-DFW PMAA. Water or Orange Juice.
Col Ronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 15, 10:30 pm   #3

Programs: AS 75K, AA Plat, DL-FO
10/16 US407 - PHL-PHX - only water offered "because we need to board as quickly as possible - there are a lot of connections"

Total laziness.
AlphaTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 15, 3:08 am   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaTango View Post
10/16 US407 - PHL-PHX - only water offered "because we need to board as quickly as possible - there are a lot of connections"

Total laziness.
What a lAAme excuse to be lAAzy! Hub to hub has a lot of connections? Really? Wow what astute observation from flight attendant.
Global321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 15, 4:37 am   #5

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Avis Prfd, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold
DEN-MIA - pmAA B737 new interior w/ ptv's - redeye flight -

PDB of: OJ, water, champagne, or coffee. I made myself a mimosa with the OJ and champagne.
UAPremierGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 15, 9:10 am   #6

Programs: US Chairman, BA Bronze, SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by krlcomm View Post
Let me fix that for you... pmAA usually never. Ok, maybe 1 flight in 10... pmUS pretty much always.
This has been my experience as well. I have been given a PDB much more frequently on American Eagle (Republic E175s) than on AA mainline. Of my 22 AA mainline flights this year:

1 - PDB offered (anything)
3 - Water or water/juice offered
18 - no PDB

I don't lose sleep over it, but the majority of the time there are two FAs up front talking/texting/not appearing to be overly busy. This was especially true on two flights I had to/from Hawaii where there was plenty of time for a PDB and it would have been especially welcome to have received one.
ORDGUY747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 15, 12:57 pm   #7

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
10/17 AA 1410 LGA-MIA - Full PDB by very cheerful new hire FA
10/17 AA 88 MIA-LGA - tray of water ready, but asked what we would like to drink.
weirdlyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 15, 1:57 pm   #8

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PE
AA2490 LAX-DFW

No PDB offered. Instead, FAs enjoyed a box of donuts with Gate Agents.
SlaveToTheMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 15, 8:48 am   #9

Programs: WN CP, AS MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT, UA Silver. Marriott/SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Apologize if this has been mentioned upthread, but I think for the data collection purpose, an email survey would be more effective than twitter.

I would suggest an email be sent to a random 2-4 passengers in FC for a given segment (of which AA has an email address) and ask just a handful of questions:

1) Were you offered a beverage before take-off?

2) (if yes) Please tell us what beverage were you offered?
a) A beverage of my choice
b) Water
c) Water or Orange Juice
d) Some other pre-poured beverage on a tray to choose from

3) (if yes or no) How much does an offering of a beverage of your choice affect your opinion of American's premium cabin service?
0 - Not at all/Doesn't matter to me
5 - Extremely important

Run the survey for just a few months and make sure the metrics are reported to the FAs (both who do a good job and those who don't).

Maybe those with connections to AA can suggest how they can better handle the adhereance to the service standard.

We all know that LUS and some of the contracted carriers would have excellent performance, and I think of reporting the results for just a few months might be enough to change the old habits.

Rasheed
rasheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 15, 9:10 am   #10

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTG (PP), SPG LTG (Plt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasheed View Post
Apologize if this has been mentioned upthread, but I think for the data collection purpose, an email survey would be more effective than twitter.

I would suggest an email be sent to a random 2-4 passengers in FC for a given segment (of which AA has an email address) and ask just a handful of questions:

1) Were you offered a beverage before take-off?

2) (if yes) Please tell us what beverage were you offered?
a) A beverage of my choice
b) Water
c) Water or Orange Juice
d) Some other pre-poured beverage on a tray to choose from

3) (if yes or no) How much does an offering of a beverage of your choice affect your opinion of American's premium cabin service?
0 - Not at all/Doesn't matter to me
5 - Extremely important

Run the survey for just a few months and make sure the metrics are reported to the FAs (both who do a good job and those who don't).

Maybe those with connections to AA can suggest how they can better handle the adhereance to the service standard.

We all know that LUS and some of the contracted carriers would have excellent performance, and I think of reporting the results for just a few months might be enough to change the old habits.

Rasheed
Yes, if AA wanted this data, it would be easy for them to collect. However, they don't seem to be collecting it, and even if they did, we would not be privy to the results. Posting on Twitter makes it public and it allows the passenger to decide if they want to participate regardless of being invited. Maybe shaming them into providing what they say they offer will get more attention.
RogerD408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 15, 9:13 am   #11

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, VX, Amex Plat, Ritz Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
The most baffling thing to me is how other airlines can get it right nearly 100% of the time.

This year I'm:

100% on UA
98% on DL
6% on AA

...for full PDBs (not factoring in US flights, which IMO, are still US flights/crews, etc.).
cmd320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 15, 11:37 am   #12

Programs: AA EXP, AA 3MM+, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt
Sat 10/17 AA2471 ORD-LAS: Nada-Zippo..Not even water and easy boarding

Mon 10/19 AA581 but US Crew LAS-LAX:OK..First time ever flying old US Air...Holy Cow....NEVER had PDB so quickly! Two rounds..Now, I understand the other comments about how great US Crews are/were at this.

Mon 10/19 AA219: LAX-ORD: Nothing, although a red eye, but still...
GBBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 15, 1:32 pm   #13
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
DTW-LGA 10/19 #AA3519 CR-7 - PDB of water and OJ asked for something else and was turned down...was told door was closing soon. So?

JFK-MIA 10/20 #AA200 757 - PDB of water and OJ even though there was plenty of time to do a proper PDB. FA was too busy obsessing over bags being under everyone's seat.

MIA-LAX 10/21 #AA1352 772 - PDB of water, OJ and bubbles.

Last edited by brc757rr; Oct 21, 15 at 5:08 pm
brc757rr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 15, 3:25 pm   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC a survey I got from DL this past summer when I was flying paid F (DL always seems to send me a survey whenever I fly them) asked if I was offered a PDB among other questions about the F inflight service. You would think AA could do same.
newyorkgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 15, 4:37 pm   #15

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, VX, Amex Plat, Ritz Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
The multiple reports of FAs not offering PDBs on 757s is remarkably disturbing. Even more so than other aircraft. Seriously, a baboon could provide a PDB service on a 757 loading from L2.
cmd320 is online now   Reply With Quote