Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA again in the New York Times 25 Mar 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian

Interesting read for ‘interesting times’...

Inside American Airlines’ Scramble as Virus Grounds Jets by Hundreds
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/b...e=articleShare

American is canceling about 40 percent of its flights each day, and expects more cutbacks in the days ahead as demand slides further. Those that are flying are mostly empty, with just a few people aboard, costing the company many thousands of dollars with each trip. With the exception of a few flights to Mexico and a few islands in the Caribbean, American has ceased most of its international routes. The company’s stock had fallen 66 percent since mid-February, before rebounding on Tuesday.

idainc likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 26, 2020 at 11:43 am Reason: Activate link, add info per FT Rules
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Interesting read for ‘interesting times’...

Inside American Airlines’ Scramble as Virus Grounds Jets by Hundreds
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/b...e=articleShare
I'll bite, specifically what airline is not "scrambling" right now? Not sure why AA requires/deserves any more focus than any of the others.

Regards
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
The details in the article are interesting. I did not consider that the parked planes still need to be "exercised" each day. Run the engines and taxi a bit. Perhaps AA needs some volunteer help with that. I'd be happy to do my part.
AAway, allset2travel and dciolli like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
AA is still flying cargo and I suspect might see an uptick in cargo demand. If they can 20% fill an a/c that's at least some offset. Now sure they no longer will need 10x MIA/DCA, maybe 2x.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
That picture looks like CLT on a normal day in pre-covid times.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
The details in the article are interesting. I did not consider that the parked planes still need to be "exercised" each day. Run the engines and taxi a bit. Perhaps AA needs some volunteer help with that. I'd be happy to do my part.
each plane you move (for its daily full tire rotation) still gets the 500 mile minimum, right?
allset2travel and fotographer like this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
just wondering, what if AA needs a plane in the middle of the pack.. ?
Dallas49er likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.