Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
10/9. SFO-DFW. AA 1198. Water only. Recognized the FA on a recent SFO-PHL trip a couple weeks ago.

Same routine: comes through cabin shaking stacked plastic cup at passengers anf waving water bottle too. “Water for you guys?” No one accepted his offer and we all looked at each other afterwards.

10/16 SFO-DFW AA 1198 Water Only: In fact it was the same FA from my post above. He must have some slight germ phobia too. He was closing the bin using his handheld AA device and picking up breakfast items wearing plastic gloves.

10/16 DFW-MEX AA2233 Full PDB service with refills being offered as we were delayed slightly once onboard. Service was excellent. I handed him a "Thank Your" voucher and got a fist pump and a firm handshake from him.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
10/17 ASE-DFW - Skywest CR7 - PDB of choice!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Friday 10/12 TPA-CLT A320- Full PDB, great service in air from both male FA's, very friendly
CLT-SAN A321- Full PDB, again service was pretty good, surprisingly only 1 FA serving the 16 seat FC cabin on a full meal flight. She seemed new but tried hard, was pretty much running non stop. After being proactive and bringing me several drink refills, she was kind enough to let me know it might be a bit before she came through the cabin again, I told her I was guessing she was going to take a break, and told her I appreciated the heads up. Glad she took a minute for herself and I am guessing most of the other passengers did not notice. Proactively came back about 30 mins later through the cabin to see if we wanted more beverages. I had not had this comment on a domestic flight before but appreciated her letting us know.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ORD 737 and full PDB
already on group 4 at official boarding time 🙄
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Delayed in posting, but here is some West Coast Data Points for Compass and Sky West crewed flights.
10/2: SFO-LAX E175 - PDB of choice
10/3: LAX-SFO E175 - PDB of choice, and much to the displeasure of the guy behind me, I got the last scotch in the tray.
10/11: SFO-LAX E175 - PDB of choice, but it was 515 in the morning so I stuck to coffee with a Baileys.
10/11: LAX-SAN CR7 - PDB's were offered, but I just had a water. FA did a quick top off run through the F cabin and then we were landing. Can't expect much for that short of a flight.
All in all, not bad!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
10/23 AA 4606 DCA PHL full pdb
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:19 am

10/19 PUJ>CLT no PDB service at all. Infuriating due to the location we were leaving from, I was especially, ahem, dehydrated.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by jtav559
Delayed in posting, but here is some West Coast Data Points for Compass and Sky West crewed flights.
10/2: SFO-LAX E175 - PDB of choice
10/3: LAX-SFO E175 - PDB of choice, and much to the displeasure of the guy behind me, I got the last scotch in the tray.
10/11: SFO-LAX E175 - PDB of choice, but it was 515 in the morning so I stuck to coffee with a Baileys.
10/11: LAX-SAN CR7 - PDB's were offered, but I just had a water. FA did a quick top off run through the F cabin and then we were landing. Can't expect much for that short of a flight.
All in all, not bad!
Compass crews are the best! SkyWest is great too. I'm certainly at 100 percent for PDB on Compass E175 out of LAX and probably 90 percent on SkyWest out of LAX.

Not sure why mainline FA's who have a much easier life and are paid better can't deliver PDB so consistently.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Today I’m #2 for what looks like one seat left back to LGA. Ask gate agent how it’s looking and am told no way but if it changes we’ll come get you.

Shortly thereafter #1 gets upgraded at the gate.

Then on the plane from coach 3 more including me get the upgrade and still PDB of choice with 10 minutes to spare.
UAPremierGuy and brc757rr like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
PDB of OJ/sparkling wine/water LAA B763 ZRH-PHL. Crew was LAA based and remarked that this would be their last time flying the route as it was changing crews with new bids. Many were sad and many passengers remarked that they'd miss this crew.

PHL-DFW - LUS A321 - PDB of choice from the awesome purser. He earned an AAplause cert from me and my seat opponent for AAwesome service throughout the flight.

DFW-ASE - Skywest CR7 - PDB of choice from the great flight attendant aboard this awesome ex-DL 9-seat F cabin bird.

Last edited by UAPremierGuy; Nov 1, 2018 at 10:11 am Reason: Edited to add PHL-DFW and DFW-ASE flights.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold
AA1456 DFW-BOS

PDB of choice served.
TheSkyGuy likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
10/20 AA 683 RDU-CLT A-321: Full PDB
10/20 AA 5180 CLT-HPN CRJ-700: Plane booked 8/9. The first 7 F passengers got a PDB. I boarded at 11:05 for a 11:20 departure and was ignored. The f/a came around taking drink orders for once we took off and I asked for one while we were on the ground and she said she couldn't because they were about to close the door. We sat there another 7 minutes
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:38 pm

10/29 AA 1476 - BOS-MIA: pmAA Full PDB
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold
AA2719 BOS-DFW 10/30

PDB of Choice Offered, but everyone just took a water given that it was about 4:40 A.M. at the time.

As an aside, this flight was so empty/void of elites that only 13/16 of the seats in F were taken.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
30OCT AA5910 DFW-JAN

Flight boarded 30 minutes prior. Boarding was done 15 mins prior and no offer of a PDB. Captain announced a delay due to maintenance. Sat there another 25 minutes without anything but watching the two F/A's stand in the front galley chatting. Usually Mesa F/A's are good, but this one apparently needs some re-training.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.