Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
There was space still left in F and a couple of spaces in the J mini cabin.
Currently sat on AA107 with around 1100miles to go until JFK... Then I get off, faff around with customs and entry to them get back onboard same plane to GRU
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
TOD's on AA?

Originally Posted by CocoPops
Was offered a Biz to First upgrade at checkin today for tomorrow's AA107 from LHR TO JFK. £288.

I declined, the flatbed J is more than good enough for me.
As a former UA flyer where TOD's were sold before elite upgrades, I was not aware that AA sells them too. Are they sold before or after SWU/mileage upgrades?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:51 am

Hi All

My partner and I are flying LAX-LHR-LAX in August. I am EXP - he has zero status.

LAX-LHR we are both listed for an upgrade using my system wides

LHR-LAX I am cleared already with a system wide (booked a month ago, he just booked his flight today) he is waitlisted with my miles and copay (25k + $350)

Where will he fall on upgrade list?

For Systemwide he will be treated as no status/systewide - or will he get my EXP status. A

And for milescopay he will be zero status?

Is there a way to link our reservations so he has a better shot?

Thanks all!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
That's a pretty great price!
The seat comfort isn't much of a difference, but the service will be for sure. I guess it depends on the person, but I would probably upgrade too if it were me.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
How likely is a Y to J upgrade using miles and pay for LAX-LHR and back for a plat, gold, and no status? Requested weeks/months in advance?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by hiima
How likely is a Y to J upgrade using miles and pay for LAX-LHR and back for a plat, gold, and no status? Requested weeks/months in advance?
36% + 2% for each week between booking date and travel date
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by hiima
Might be tough. People like to sleep in that direction...I have always bought J on that route, but have been 100% on getting SWUs to clear LHR-LAX.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
36% + 2% for each week between booking date and travel date
So an early enough request would yield 106% success rate? I like those odds
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HIlton Gold
Usually SWU are waitlisted on the international segment. I have one waitlisted for MIA-CDG this Sunday (7J, 20 open seats in business). I'm pretty sure it will clear. I am flying TUS-DFW-MIA as I strategically picked this flight based on business load and the more modern seats.

My connecting 767 DFW-MIA is now at F3/A3. I'm concerned that I may not clear the MIA-CDG in time to catch one of those 3 remaining seats. So I'm thinking of just having my SWU applied to the first two segments now. At least that is 5+ hours guaranteed in nice seats.

I know I'm risking burning an SWU on flights I'd get for free as I'm EXP (but they have to be available at the time). I'm mostly concerned if this would mess up the waitlist on MIA-CDG? Or is that still automatic (mostly automatic). I do have an Expertflyer alert set.

Anyone with experience upgrading the domestic segments first?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by gcsmith
Usually SWU are waitlisted on the international segment. I have one waitlisted for MIA-CDG this Sunday (7J, 20 open seats in business). I'm pretty sure it will clear. I am flying TUS-DFW-MIA as I strategically picked this flight based on business load and the more modern seats.

My connecting 767 DFW-MIA is now at F3/A3. I'm concerned that I may not clear the MIA-CDG in time to catch one of those 3 remaining seats. So I'm thinking of just having my SWU applied to the first two segments now. At least that is 5+ hours guaranteed in nice seats.

I know I'm risking burning an SWU on flights I'd get for free as I'm EXP (but they have to be available at the time). I'm mostly concerned if this would mess up the waitlist on MIA-CDG? Or is that still automatic (mostly automatic). I do have an Expertflyer alert set.

Anyone with experience upgrading the domestic segments first?
I have done it several times. In my case it's usually a JFK-AUS segment after an international arrival. If availability got down to something like A3 I'd probably have them clear the domestic segment and continue to waitlist the overseas segment, especially if the overseas upgrade looked promising. If the overseas segment doesn't clear you would have "wasted" the SWU but in my view if I have just gotten off a long flight in Y I would be very happy to know that the remainder of my trip was up front.

It does depend on the length of the domestic segment. I would never do it on DFW-AUS.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:48 pm

SWU NYC to Asia

Was wondering if anyone had any tips on flying to SE Asia and using SWUs (or miles) to upgrade. How likely is that 2 people can upgrade using SWUs ~2 months out? What day of the week has the best chance (and worst chance) ?

Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nycflyerdude
Was wondering if anyone had any tips on flying to SE Asia and using SWUs (or miles) to upgrade. How likely is that 2 people can upgrade using SWUs ~2 months out? What day of the week has the best chance (and worst chance) ?

Thanks
Hi,

Welcome to Flyertalk!

Unfortunately AA doesn't fly their own airplanes to Southeast Asia so you won't be able to use a SWU to upgrade to that region. They do have flights to other parts of Asia (but that is a very broad query) so I am sure if you post a bit more specifically which "connection" city you want to fly to and if you have a US gateway preference (use this link as a guide) you may get some specific advice.

A lot of people choose routing based on aircraft type, cabin layout, ratio of Economy to Business class seats amongst other criteria so any details you can provide is always helpful.

Good Luck!
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:55 pm

would be DFW to HKG or some routing through NRT (I think ORD-NRT) (HKG seems closer to SE asia though).
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Welcome to FlyerTalk. The specific DFW-HKG route is discussed in a whole lot of detail in its own thread on the topic, which can be found here
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: LH HON
The routes served with old 772 configurations are imho much easier to uprade with SWU. DFW-HKG and vice versa is considered to be a luckfest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.