Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, AAdmirals Club, Hilton Diamond
I flew this flight last month; expert flyer about 30 hours out showed availability and I called and manually added the SWU. Return on 154 cleared about 3 days out.

Two weeks ago AA started really releasing upgrade space. I booked same 153/154 for early March and SWU cleared at booking.

As stated above, the date you purchased/requested SWU will probably determine if the upgrade clears. Fridays is one of the harder days to clear SWU on outbound flight.

Checked Expert Flyer and Monday 2/29 shows C2, but all other nearby days are C0.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Mike in MSP
EXP newbie.
Looking to use a SWU for AA 153 on Feb 26.
AA.com says no SWU availability but there are 12 seats available in J.
Anyone have an insight on what my odds are?
Hi. We use this thread to discuss upgrade possibilities, so we've merged your query here.

/Moderator
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:57 am

Thanks for the help,
Would I have a better chance going through Dallas on AA 175

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by Mike in MSP
Thanks for the help,
Would I have a better chance going through Dallas on AA 175

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum
AA 175 on 2/26 shows J4. There is also F7, but it's doubtful they will roll the cabin forward unless they sell out Y -- which looks like it has several seats still available to sell.

It might be a better shot in the long run, but you'd have to pay change fees and could also have a higher fare as well. Also, consider there may be other EXPs on 175's wait list ahead of you since you will be added to the bottom with new timestamp.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Last edited by msv777; Feb 11, 2016 at 11:48 am
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
Waitlisted SWU on AA732 CLT-LHR for 3/29.
Return AA104 cleared at booking time (yesterday).

Any take on chances for upgrade clearing on the outbound?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Howdy,
I'm a newer PLT to AA. Usually when I fly I'm direct booking to the front of the plane but I didn't this time so I've got a bit of newbie anxiety. 2/18 AA291 JFK-MCO. I booked today at probably T-74. Are my chances basically nonexistent using stickers? Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
AA Plat

Upgrading with miles and $ on an O fare

4/21 FLT 137 DFW to HKG
4/24 FLT 138 HKG to DFW

I called in and am on the wait list.

Oddly, since I did that, I get

"We couldn’t display trip details
Please contact Reservations"

On the website, but I can see the reservation in the mobile app. I did call reservations and they said the reservation is fine and they see the upgrade request.

First time doing this, any thoughts on my odds of getting the upgrades?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Howdy,
I'm a newer PLT to AA. Usually when I fly I'm direct booking to the front of the plane but I didn't this time so I've got a bit of newbie anxiety. 2/18 AA291 JFK-MCO. I booked today at probably T-74. Are my chances basically nonexistent using stickers? Thanks
It could happen, but it's not a sure thing. EF shows F4 and 4 open seats, with 5 seats taken in MCE (I think?).
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by WASBLR

Thanks in advance.
There are 18 seats open in J, and almost as many occupied in the front part of Y. Some of those latter will not have SWU requests, but then more J seats will likely sell closer to departure. It's a toss-up.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
It could happen, but it's not a sure thing. EF shows F4 and 4 open seats, with 5 seats taken in MCE (I think?).
Thanks. I'm one of those MCE seats. Don't remember how many of those were taken when I booked but 4 sounds about right. There seemed to be more available MCE seats than I expected (probably because quite a few ExPLTs already cleared? Too bad MCE doesn't get free booze like their Delta equivalent and they get Woodford but I'm sure that's been discussed about 473825 times before.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by WASBLR

Thanks in advance.
There are 18 seats open in J, and almost as many occupied in the front part of Y. Some of those latter will not have SWU requests, but then more J seats will likely sell closer to departure. It's a toss-up.
18 seats out of 28 open with 6 weeks to go before departure is pretty normal. It will likely dribble down to 5 or 6 open a couple of days before departure, at which point they may clear a couple upgrades. Most will clear at the gate. Your profile says you're US-CP, so I assume you're EXP. That will help, obviously, but your chances will depend on how many others booked earlier. Working against you is the fact that the 29th is the first business day that week in the UK (following Easter Monday), so there may be more business traffic than usual.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
I am travelling in 4weeks time, is there any point me requesting upgrades?

I'm a BA Silver, no AA status.
I am travelling on 4x 777-300 in J, LHR-JFK-GRU-JFK-LHR.

So, any point? Or will I be lowest of low on list

Current seats:
March 12th outbound (missing from image below)
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:02 am

Well to my surprise I cleared last night. Now shows three open F seats (I immediately changed my seat to aisle) so I guess I was the only PLT that cleared. I'm surprised I figured this would be a fairly busy biz route.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
AA 37 MAD-DFW First Class upgrade chances

Hello,

I'm an EXP ticketed on AA37 from MAD-DFW on Sat Jun 11. We're ticketed in J and have requested a SWU for two (2) passengers for First Class on a 777-200. Anyone with Expert Flyer willing to look this up and provide any insight? Many thanks if so!

Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:28 am

Any use?

I am AA platinum and feel like the 500 mile upgrades are all but worthless to me. I have attempted to upgrade on every flight I have taken since earning status and have not gotten cleared on any of them, except for one 45 minute flight, BOS - PHL, and that flight ended up being canceled. I've already flown 19k+ miles this year, with not a single clearing. My upgrades are just stockpiling up (I have 26 right now). Do these ever actually go through or are they just basically useless and aimed at giving the appearance of positive perks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.