Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yesterday:

LHR-LAX cleared three weeks out Y-C
LHR-LAX cleared five months out (trip in June) for me and my gold companion, Y-C
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
SWU from coach to business cleared for two passengers from DFW to CDG two weeks before departure and return cleared at same time or two weeks and six days before flight. Both passengers are Executive Platinum.

Domestic upgrade success for 2016 is 50%. Flight from DFW to LAX cleared 30 hours before departure for two passengers but flight from LAX to OGG was sold out months in advance. Flight from OGG to LAX was also sold out way in advance so did not clear. Red-Eye flight from LAX to DFW cleared 30 hours before departure.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPlt, AAdmirals Club, Hilton Diamond
A few more data points.

On Wed 1/27/16 i was on AA 153 ORD-NRT. My swu had previously been manually cleared. When i walked to the gate there were TWO people on upgraded list, both cleared. I saw someone PAYING for 2 seats to be upgraded at the podium.

My return flight 1/31/16 NRT-ORD, AA 154 just cleared swu now, three days out. EF did not show C availability.

Per Gary Leff, AA has decided to open more availability.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....an-aadvantage/
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I think they are improving on the "cut in line" by calling in when availability opens up issue. (Improving is subjective depending on who you are of course) I got an EF alert at 7:38 pm PST and was on the computer within mere moments and our LAX-LHR "C" upgrades in November were already processing. (The reservation was unavailable online)

If you are looking to go LAX-LHR in mid November a slew of C, U and Z just opened up!
This is interesting since we just had a similar experience. DFW-LHR-DFW July/Aug went from C0 to C7. Cleared outbound and return at the same time.

Notable since when I booked these flights last month, I had looked for C inventory from May to the end of Aug and came up with nothing (and I'm talking about the non-stops, there might have been a random one via JFK or RDU).

Of course I spent a good week searching and since we could have booked this trip anywhere in the Jun-Aug window I spent time going through all the options.

Fortunately, we didn't find some strange option just to use the EVIP and decided to roll the dice on them clearing.

It feels like someone in IT suddenly realized the new code from the merging of the systems wasn't working properly and fixed it. Now all the inventory is showing.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
In the last 24 hours have cleared Y to C on LAX-LHR in April and LAX-SYD in August. This is looking much better than recent intl C inventory that clears right before if it doesn't at booking
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:48 am

In December I was ticketed for AA 153 ORD-NRT in April. I made a request to use SWU after ticketing. As of this morning Expert Flyer is showing C7 availability. When should I expect to have the upgrade confirmed?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: AA ExP, HHonors Gold
MIA-LHR cleared Yesterday for 2/2
LHR-DFW cleared at purchase in December for 2/9
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Lots of reports of Y->J upgrades clearing well in advance. I wonder if this is a change in policy, or a one-time clearing of the queues, or some guy in revenue management who is about to quit and just opened up a bunch of C space for the fun of it.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by AATrout
EF shows AA107 to JFK has only 11 of 52 seats occupied in J and in MCE w/30 seats it is wide open. EXPs in MCE waiting for a SWU are usually there, so you should be good to go. It’s always easier to get to J on TATL westbound.

Outbound on the 3rd looks OK too. 15/37 in J are occupied, and row 31 exit where I camp out on that 777 waiting for an SWU has only 3 of 4 occupied.

If I could only pick one it would be AA38. The MCE on the 777W is pretty nice if thats where you are now. Good luck.
Both the outbound and inbound legs cleared yesterday!
Interestingly it looks like they don't send any kind of alert when this happens. I happened to check the my reservations page on the website yesterday when it says "we cannot display reservation details. Please contact reservations" or something to that effect.

I called the desk in the evening and the agent said, "Good you called when you did!" Not sure what to make of that. I didn't ask her to elaborate though.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
I've never flown this route MIA - MAD. Doing so next friday 2/5. SWU did not clear so waitlisted. Looks like 14 seats open in business. My return already cleared although only 8 open seats. I did just buy my ticket yesterday. EXP. Anyone familiar with the loads on this flight. Is it one alot of EXP fly on a Friday night?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
All this week:

2 of us LHR-LAX in early/mid-April

2 of us LAX-HND-LAX in late May (both directions cleared at the same time)

Economy to business class

^^^
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I had two SWU requests Y>J clear this week:

CLT-LHR on Sunday night, July 3; and

ORD-NRT on Monday morning, October 10.

In both cases, I booked and was the only assigned seat in MCE. In both cases, I received EF alerts. In both cases, I was delayed a day or two and then found the "Contact reservations" notice on aa.com. In both cases, I called and had the tickets reissued with longhaul J and shorthaul F.

I'm still waitlisted for SWU's on:

LHR-MIA Saturday afternoon, April 16;
JFK-GIG on Sunday night, June 12;
GRU-MIA on Friday night, June 17; and
NRT-ORD on Saturday night, October 15.

The only one I'm slightly concerned about is LHR-MIA; I switched onto that flight after a schedule change made my LHR-CLT-DCA connection impossible; several seats in MCE were already taken, and also a number of seats in J.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Gold and Platinum Upgrades on Light Loads

Hey all,
Just got off a fairly empty flight from MSY - CLT. Since it is so short, I did not request an upgrade, but noticed that the F cabin was completely empty. There was myself and one other platinum member on the flight. Is it standard if the F cabin is empty to still not upgrade as a courtesy?

I had a good MCE seat, so it didn't bother me much, but I was a little surprised they didn't just move people up based on status as a courtesy. Costs them nothing to show a little extra appreciation, which can go a long way in this competitive industry.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
AA generally doesn't grant complimentary upgrades to plats and golds, unless it's for operational reasons, e.g. coach being oversold.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I asked this same question a while back and the answer I got was.... Unless you request an upgrade you aren't going to move forward unless you get an op-up situation... I don't even think the FAs have the authority to move you once the door closes... I think its fairly annoying, but I also understand...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.