Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Have seen lots of F0 ORD > PHX as far as 2-3 weeks out. This is just unbelievable.
The economy is REALLY good right now. First class selling out. Expensive hotels sold out. Vacation destinations, full.

Makes it tough on business travel!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:01 am

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Geauxtigers
Monday 3/29: 7am DFW-MSY, 24 people on the upgrade list with 3 clearing. When I checked around 5am I was #2, by the time I got to the airport I was number 4 and never cleared . Flight looked to be mostly business travelers
The first couple of flights Monday morning and the last 2 Sunday night tend to be business heavy DFW-MSY. The same tends to happen Thursday night and Friday scattered throughout the day.

It seemed pretty consistent with the pattern of business travelers flying AA and DL that stayed at the hotel I used to work at.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
As an EXP I'm continuing to bat zero on LAX-CLT. I'm usually #1 or 2 on the list with another 20-30. 2 weeks ago I was in the back exit row (22D) and I was surrounded by other EXPs - the FAs were commenting on how many free drinks were being distributed in the back. If this is the new normal, AA had better start stocking more food because they were out of everything except the Pastrami sandwich by the time they made it that far back.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: AA - EXP Hyatt - Globalist
AA LAX - PVG upgrade question

I'm flying to Shanghai in a little over 24 hours and have been waitlisted for a mileage upgrade for about a month now.

The strange thing is that when I view the seat map for the flight #183 it shows 17 unassigned seats in Business Class. Coach is also fairly empty and most of the MCE seats are unassigned as well.

Why hasn't my upgrade been processed yet?

There is very little information about the upgrade windows for international mileage upgrades so I'm curious if someone could explain the process to me. I'm hoping my upgrade will finally clear when it's 24 hours before the flight and time to check in, but this situation seems bizarre to me.

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Adam P. Schneider
I'm flying to Shanghai in a little over 24 hours and have been waitlisted for a mileage upgrade for about a month now.

The strange thing is that when I view the seat map for the flight #183 it shows 17 unassigned seats in Business Class. Coach is also fairly empty and most of the MCE seats are unassigned as well.

There is very little information about the upgrade windows for international mileage upgrades so I'm curious if someone could explain the process to me. I'm hoping my upgrade will finally clear when it's 24 hours before the flight and time to check in, but this situation seems bizarre to me.

Thanks!
Nothing strange or bizarre here at all. Even on flights wide open in business, AA routinely doesn't release upgrade space to and from Asia until right around T-24 before flight time. This is especially true on flights on the 787/77W. Over the past 1-2 years this process has become very predictable.

Have you checked ExpertFlyer to see what the real load is in business? Seat maps are a general guide but do not accurately show the load.

I flew DFW-PVG last week and was shocked when I logged in around T-48 hrs. and saw my upgrade was processing.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:47 am

Thanks!

<redacted> Can anyone tell me what the load in business is for AA 183 on 3/31?

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 30, 2016 at 4:59 am Reason: Removed request for information from paid service
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Can anyone tell me what the load in business is for AA 183 on 3/31?
You will probably clear:

J3 R2 D2 I2 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 G7 N7 S7 O7 Q7 T7

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 30, 2016 at 4:59 am Reason: Updated quote of edited post
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:40 am

Thanks. Am I correct that this means there are 9 seats left in Biz?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
It means that there is 3 seat to sell (J3) in biz, probably at least 2 seat left
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus

Upgrades are a well and oft discussed topic, so there's a consolidated thread discussing them. I'll merge this in.

~Moderator
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
I'm seeing the same thing PHX > ORD. I usually book a couple weeks out and even as an EXP have resigned myself to sitting Y. The last trip I booked doesn't even have a decent aisle seat available.

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Have seen lots of F0 ORD > PHX as far as 2-3 weeks out. This is just unbelievable.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Question for regular travelers to PVG

Are VIP upgrades still pretty easy to come by? To maximize upgrade chances, is it better to fly out of (and into) ORD, DFW or LAX? It's been a few years since my last visit to China and I don't have a feel for the current dynamics. Proposed travel dates are (approximately) April 24 to May 4 for the Canton Fair in Guangzhou.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:10 am
Suspended

With A/C being downgraded to B787, it is difficult to upgrade in all cases, especially during busy times. Plus 1st May is a big Chinese holiday. You are anti-flow according to your date, you might get the upgrade easier than other times.

I would say DFW is easier while ORD is about the same but LAX would be almost impossible during some times of the year.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by vasantn
Are VIP upgrades still pretty easy to come by? To maximize upgrade chances, is it better to fly out of (and into) ORD, DFW or LAX? It's been a few years since my last visit to China and I don't have a feel for the current dynamics. Proposed travel dates are (approximately) April 24 to May 4 for the Canton Fair in Guangzhou.
I'm going to go ahead and merge this into the extant upgrade discussion thread.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.