Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I've never been EXP, so Ive never had the opportunity to use AA SWUs.

I assume you're on AA 607 (not concerned with the date). I guess that if you had no real other prospects to use the SWU, you could use it here. You're not going to get a meal save for a breakfast box before landing, and the seat isn't great in F. Certainly better than Y.

To each his own, but if I had another opportunity to use a SWU, I'd probably hold it....

I understand the bit about all the aisles/windows being taken, but something should open up before now and the day of the flight. You're just going to have to be on top of it.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Dublin Upgrade Space

I am trying to get to Dublin around June 1st leaving PHL and then returning on the 10th to STL. Have some SWU's and am flexible. Thoughts on best routing for upgrade? Help on routing?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by jpsj
I am trying to get to Dublin around June 1st leaving PHL and then returning on the 10th to STL. Have some SWU's and am flexible. Thoughts on best routing for upgrade? Help on routing?
I'll go ahead and merge this into the extant upgrade chances thread, where this type of query belongs.

As a reminder, cross-posting is not permitted on FlyerTalk. If you post your question in the wrong place and need it moved, please alert moderators to have that done for you–it's more work to clean up duplicate posts than to just move one. Thanks.

~Moderator
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:00 am

My upgrade streak finally ran out

Hi guys, regardless of the title, I want to share my deep appreciation of AA since switching from UA 2 years ago. This is my second year as EXP and I qualify based on 4-5 transpac flights with 3-4 domestic flights. The past two years I have only missed one upgrade domestically and cleared all transpac upgrades, even The DFW-HKG route. Unfortunately, that great streak ran out today and I had to ride it out in economy on HKG-DFW and then a middle seat from DFW to LGA when I did a same day standby. Here's to hoping for another streak of two years with no missed upgrades!
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by babypuwet
Hi guys, regardless of the title, I want to share my deep appreciation of AA since switching from UA 2 years ago. This is my second year as EXP and I qualify based on 4-5 transpac flights with 3-4 domestic flights. The past two years I have only missed one upgrade domestically and cleared all transpac upgrades, even The DFW-HKG route. Unfortunately, that great streak ran out today and I had to ride it out in economy on HKG-DFW and then a middle seat from DFW to LGA when I did a same day standby. Here's to hoping for another streak of two years with no missed upgrades!
That's a pretty good run! I'll go ahead and shift this into the upgrade availability discussion thread.

~Moderator
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: LH HON
NRT-LAX 5/19
J7 R7 D7 I7

Come on AA!
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
LAX HND on 04/28 on AA 27 (this Thursday). It's J7 Y7 with only 6/28 seats taken in J, however they haven't released any C space yet.

It seems like the Friday and Sunday departures already has C space released.

Come on cheapo AA, do you really think you can sell 20+ seats in J within 48 hours?

Anyone have any logical explanation behind this? Or is AA RM just not on top of it?

Edit: finally released at around T-60.

Last edited by supermintyfresh; Apr 26, 2016 at 7:12 pm
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by ckx2
NRT-LAX 5/19
J7 R7 D7 I7

Come on AA!
I generally have seen ex-LAX routes tough(er) to clear. It may go T-72.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by babypuwet
I am right there with you.

I did a status match in June of 2014 and I made every upgrade upgrade until December 2015. About 50 domestic segments and 16 international both to Asia and Europe.

This year I am about 90 percent which is great and still much better then the 15 percent I was reduced to on ua.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:20 am
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Originally Posted by swm61230

I did a status match in June of 2014 and I made every upgrade upgrade until December 2015. About 50 domestic segments and 16 international both to Asia and Europe.

This year I am about 90 percent which is great and still much better then the 15 percent I was reduced to on ua.
^^ Same here. Happy to be gone from UA
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:48 am

Upgrade percentages down to less than 25% out of NYC this year. Fly mostly peak days unfortunately. I've been loyal to AA in NYC area for 15-20 years but I'm starting to fly other carriers as a result for both business and leisure. DL has also become highly competitive with their F pricing - oftentimes can be same as AA's Y fares. Not a big fan of DL but need that extra legroom!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by jpsj
^^ Same here. Happy to be gone from UA
Ditto
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by swm61230

I switched the same time and have been much happier. As a UA-Gold I was upgraded twice in a year. As AA PLT I ran about 25%. When I hit EXP last fall I was running 75% until Dec 15. This year I'm running about 50%. LAX-CLT zero in March, but the last 2 weeks 100% on 4 flights.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Booked series of international trips 3 days to 7 days out from departure. Half of them cleared at booking. Half of them waitlisted. Latest status...

Cleared at booking:
JFK-GRU
GRU-MIA
ORD-NRT

Waitlisted:
GRU-DFW (now cleared)
GRU-JFK (now cleared)
NRT-DFW
ORD-JFK
JFK-ORD

i have least hope on domestic upgrades.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta, AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold
So I'm new to this upgrade system coming over from Delta so I'm trying to figure out the 500 mile upgrade system. I have a flight coming up from Charlotte to Chicago(which I fully don't expect to get upgraded on) that I decided to request upgrade just to try the system out. It says I have 2 500 mile upgrades requested. Does this mean I am going to have to pay for 2 upgrade stickers just to upgrade on a 599 mile flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.