Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
With A/C being downgraded to B787, it is difficult to upgrade in all cases, especially during busy times. Plus 1st May is a big Chinese holiday. You are anti-flow according to your date, you might get the upgrade easier than other times.

I would say DFW is easier while ORD is about the same but LAX would be almost impossible during some times of the year.
Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Our CDG to DFW SWUs to business cleared when requested - about 25 days before the flight. I was surprised because it seems like we are always waitlisted.

Our last flights from DFW to SAN and back on Wednesdays did not clear; we were 1 and 2 on the upgrade list; first was showing at 0 for a week before both flights.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I would say the craziness in airfares and the reduction in advance F fares is making F a tougher upgrade for freebies.

Examples: I bought DCA-MSY F class a few weeks back for $220. Coach was $130. Coach now is higher than what F was when I bought it,

I bought DCA-LAX-IAD yesterday for about $950. The same pairing in Coach is about $600.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Could someone be kind enough to tell me what the seat availability looks like in Business for AA 918 on 9/6/16? Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Flying KOA-LAX on a Monday morning pretty soon -- any data points on KOA at all?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Could someone be kind enough to tell me what the seat availability looks like in Business for AA 918 on 9/6/16? Thanks.
www.expertflyer.com
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Was pleasantly surprised with an UPG this morning BNA-LAX (only 8 F seats, new 319). Booked the ticket on two days ago, and 1-way F was like $1300. Too much to justify so I booked Y. Last night, there were zero F seats available for purchase on aa.com

This morning received email with free UPG. Seemed like a miracle to me.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA
Hello all! What do you think the chances of CLT-FCO clearing on 4/16 (using SWU) - currently J6D3R6I0C0? Return already cleared, thank goodness!
Worse comes to worse, I can pop a couple Xanax in seat 9H in Y. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayDFW
Hello all! What do you think the chances of CLT-FCO clearing on 4/16 (using SWU) - currently J6D3R6I0C0? Return already cleared, thank goodness!
Worse comes to worse, I can pop a couple Xanax in seat 9H in Y. Thanks in advance!
I would say less than 50-50.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: AA
Hi,

First post for a long-time lurker. I'm flying from EWR to NRT in June on AA. I have been monitoring (too closely) the release of any C inventory to upgrade from economy. While there has been on C released, I just noticed today for the first time that there are now 7 R class fares available. Specifically, AA 153 on 6/24 lists the available inventory as:

J7 R7 D7 I4 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 S7 G0 N0 Q0 O0

I have searched on this board as well as just generally and have not been able to find a definitive answer as to the suitability of R fares to upgrades. The flyerguide page lists R as

Other: EXP, 500-mile, and some Passenger Sales ('kiosk') Upgrades from Economy to Business on 3-class transcons and 2-class short-haul international flights (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America). Operational Upgrades.

Nothing really helpful with regard to my situation. I am content to let it play out and see when C inventory opens up, since right now (2.5 months out) there are still 23 available J seats. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gheorge77
Hi,

First post for a long-time lurker. I'm flying from EWR to NRT in June on AA. I have been monitoring (too closely) the release of any C inventory to upgrade from economy. While there has been on C released, I just noticed today for the first time that there are now 7 R class fares available. Specifically, AA 153 on 6/24 lists the available inventory as:

J7 R7 D7 I4 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 S7 G0 N0 Q0 O0

I have searched on this board as well as just generally and have not been able to find a definitive answer as to the suitability of R fares to upgrades. The flyerguide page lists R as

Other: EXP, 500-mile, and some Passenger Sales ('kiosk') Upgrades from Economy to Business on 3-class transcons and 2-class short-haul international flights (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America). Operational Upgrades.

Nothing really helpful with regard to my situation. I am content to let it play out and see when C inventory opens up, since right now (2.5 months out) there are still 23 available J seats. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
The R7 that you see are paid revenue seats. The R inventory for upgrades is no longer visible to anyone including AAgents, and indeed may not even be designated as R any longer (we have no way to know AFAIK).
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Looking to book Monday late June, 9 or 10pm JFK-LAX for 3 passengers. Me (EXP) and one companion (no status) plus 3rd as a SWU. MCE currently empty, chances of upgrade? I'm guessing I should split the companion for best chance or is this a heavy elite day/time? TIA

Sorry, can someone move this to the right thread: 321T / Transcontinental JFK to/from LAX & SFO: Upgrade Success & Assistance

Last edited by frudd38; Apr 9, 2016 at 6:13 pm
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA
Originally Posted by vasantn
I would say less than 50-50.
Thank you - will keep my fingers crossed!
Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Is LAS- PHL Elite Heavy

Does anyone know if LAS- PHL is elite heavy? I'm debating burning a SWU on this flight. It's a red eye mid week. All aisles and windows are taken and only 5 seats left in F. I'm EXP but didn't book far in advance.

On another note, am I crazy to burn a SWU on a domestic flight? I have no idea if I'll use all of mine, but it's early. There is an option to use 15k miles and $75 co pay.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If you really want an F seat and have the miles, I'd use them and plunk down the $75 rather than blow an SWU on that route. Overnight eastbound flights tend to be very quick, there are no lie-flat seats, and food service is minimal. Unless you're saving up miles for a better award, I'd use 'em rather than an SWU any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.