Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ACA321
My recent flights to/from DFW out of CLT have been F0 well before T-100, in some cases even over two weeks out. Upgrade lists on my last two flights between those cities have been 35+ deep. Must be several EXPs, or just lots of people willing to use stickers. I'm just glad I have AirPass, through which I've been getting YUPs on all those flights. It's nice not to worry about upgrades clearing etc..
I have seen some of this too, F0 sometimes 2 weeks out. Last Friday I was #3 of 45 with F0, this was PHL-TPA. On Monday I was #1 with F0, sat in coach. My flight tomorrow went F0 yesterday, on Monday it was F2 and according to the TA in Tampa, all 14 taken seats were sold, not sure if the last 2 were upgrades or sales, but F was going for $70 more than coach on Monday and Tuesday, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were sold.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by remedy
Ditto on negative feelings about the paltry # of FC seat on the new 319 configuration, making complementary upgrades for elites very difficult. Extending this reductions on other aircraft configurations is definitely not good news. Only 1 seat left 100 hours out on my next flight to STL and am sure it will be held until boarding for one lucky elite flyer. I was lucky on the last fight to snag it, but there was a lot of grousing among the others in the priority line.
STL has been hit particularly hard with regard to F:Y seat ratio on recent equipment changes. STL-MIA is bad enough, but even STL-LAX is exclusively on A319s now. Most EXPs probably wouldn't have imagined themselves spending 4+ hours in coach on that route a year or two ago.

FCM is one thing, but the premium cabin capacity reductions are a bit more baffling, particularly when the end result is that upgrades practically vanish on the affected routes for top tier elites.

I assume the yet to be announced upcoming AAdvantage program changes may help soften the blow for those who fly (and pay) the most, but the loyalty program now is certainly a shell of its former self.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone been upgraded on LAX-BOS or reverse at all lately? UGH

F0's everywhere.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal

F0's everywhere.
Yes, both upgrades cleared yesterday and about a week ago with a companion

Booked about 4 months out though
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal

F0's everywhere.
The upgrades on this route are hard to predict. I'm not surprised if I'm upgraded at T-100 with a companion or not upgraded at all flying alone.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hengilas
Yes, both upgrades cleared yesterday and about a week ago with a companion

Booked about 4 months out though
Husband is EXP, usually books 3 months out or so, flies alone, and so far is 0/3 on this route this year. Today I moved him from a flight with F0 to a flight with F2, which immediately went to F1, and then at 4 hours he's number 2 on the WL and still F1. Pointless move.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:20 pm

odds of DFW-HKG clearing 2 months out using SWU on a sunday?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Question

Anyone had any luck getting RM to open up C lately? If so, how many days before departure?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
On the topic of 8 miserable F seats on the A319, that's not my only complaint. I do not like bulkhead seats, and the 2nd row doesn't recline all the way.

I live at MDE, so I see a stark contrast between AA and my local carriers of choice, CM and AV. CM has 10 J seats on their E190s that are more comfortable than AA's 8 on the 319. CM has 12 on their 737 and 16 on their 738s. I fly less on AV, but I believe that they have 16 on their 319 and 320s, 9 on their E190s and 12 even on their 318s.

I am flying CM as often as I can for my US trips. They have some very comfortable aircraft configs, and they don't grill me at the airport like a criminal as AA does.

I buy J when flying AA, as I know that CPUs are both unlikely and with no choice of seat in advance. CPUs on CM are automatic (I'm literally 100% since 2010), but then I do have to get around once I arrive in the USA, so AA it is after I arrive.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Booked a trip back from EZE in business and thought I'd ask about an upgrade to first, figuring it would be waitlisted. Got lucky though and it was available.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
Booked a trip back from EZE in business and thought I'd ask about an upgrade to first, figuring it would be waitlisted. Got lucky though and it was available.
J-to-F upgrades are pretty much available on any route every day. No surprise there.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by ACA321
My recent flights to/from DFW out of CLT have been F0 well before T-100, in some cases even over two weeks out. Upgrade lists on my last two flights between those cities have been 35+ deep. Must be several EXPs, or just lots of people willing to use stickers. I'm just glad I have AirPass, through which I've been getting YUPs on all those flights. It's nice not to worry about upgrades clearing etc..
Have seen lots of F0 ORD > PHX as far as 2-3 weeks out. This is just unbelievable.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by no1cub17
The reduction in domestic F sucks for sure. As far as intl F - meh. I would be much more concerned about future reductions in J. Especially if the new Y+ cabin takes over.
Keep in mind an a321 is about the same size as a b757. AA has always had 22-24 F seats on those. A321s should have more FC seats.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: PlatPro, Globalist, Marriott Platinum
How likely is it that 2 points + copay upgrades will clear for LAX > HND on 5/23? Expert Flyer is showing C0, but there are still 21 open seats...
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Have seen lots of F0 ORD > PHX as far as 2-3 weeks out. This is just unbelievable.
More than half of the Monday daytime flights LAX-DFW, SNA-DFW have been F0 before upgrade window this year. I've been checking out of curiosity to see which is better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.