Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold

Maybe I should post this in the upgrade thread but just thought I'd ask here - wife and I are planning on SE Asia this fall - debating buying one way Y tix on AA and requesting C&M upgrade, OR just paying for CX premium Y. What are odds of the two of us upgrading a Weds or Thurs DFW-HKG? Not sure what to do - I want to earn the EQM for both of us to retain status, but sure as hell do not want to deal with AA's Y (even in MCE), which is just horrid. Would love to try out AA's new J but not sure if it's worth the risk of not getting upgraded. CX's PE looks solid though so I think we'd be happy with just buying that option too.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Maybe I should post this in the upgrade thread but just thought I'd ask here - wife and I are planning on SE Asia this fall - debating buying one way Y tix on AA and requesting C&M upgrade, OR just paying for CX premium Y. What are odds of the two of us upgrading a Weds or Thurs DFW-HKG? Not sure what to do - I want to earn the EQM for both of us to retain status, but sure as hell do not want to deal with AA's Y (even in MCE), which is just horrid. Would love to try out AA's new J but not sure if it's worth the risk of not getting upgraded. CX's PE looks solid though so I think we'd be happy with just buying that option too.
My last DFW-HKG on a friday had 10+ seats open in business unsold.

Your chances of an upgrade on the DFW-HKG segment are higher than the HKG-DFW segment based on personal experience only. AA's Y in MCE is not horrid speaking from someone who has flown less than 2 weeks ago.

<edit> offer redacted. no more favors for angry people <edit>

Last edited by Col Ronson; Jul 6, 2014 at 7:13 pm
Old Jul 5, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Col Ronson

Your chances of an upgrade on the DFW-HKG segment are higher than the HKG-DFW segment based on personal experience only. AA's Y in MCE is not horrid speaking from someone who has flown less than 2 weeks ago.

If you want the direct Sabre inventory (not that expert flyer crap) for a specific date i have access to that, just PM me.
Did AA then release C inventory? Having unsold seats doesn't help the OP unless AA also released the seats for upgrades.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
They are releasing C, but close in. I have 3 flights wait listed this fall, so been looking at upgrades a bit. Tomorrow's flight is at C3, Monday is at C0, and Tue is at C7. Returns seem to be a bit tighter.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Expert Flyer provides real-time inventory for AA flights (at least for now) directly from the GDS. I'm confused as to why you disparage EF.
Because EF will only show you 9+ not the exact number of seats available. And EF will not tell you how much a flight is oversold. you can only get this information directly from Sabre using an AA login. im confused why you took so much offense to me talking about EF lol.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:40 am

Because EF will only show you 9+ not the exact number of seats available. And EF will not tell you how much a flight is oversold. you can only get this information directly from Sabre using an AA login. im confused why you took so much offense to me talking about EF lol.
I would be in the dark without EF and find it to be a valuable set of tools. ^
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by no1cub17
I monitored availability for C upgrades (SWUs) on HKG-DFW every day between June 13 - June 26 smy since I was hoping to uograde my family on their way back with a cheap one-way ticket. Was seeing C5-C7 every day except Sat and Sun - seats getting released 3-4 days in advance. It was C3 even after they all got upgraded. Not sure if this will hold up through fall. either possibility exists - traffic is weaker in fall or may be paid J is stronger in fall?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sunnikrish2
I monitored availability for C upgrades (SWUs) on HKG-DFW every day between June 13 - June 26 smy since I was hoping to uograde my family on their way back with a cheap one-way ticket. Was seeing C5-C7 every day except Sat and Sun - seats getting released 3-4 days in advance. It was C3 even after they all got upgraded. Not sure if this will hold up through fall. either possibility exists - traffic is weaker in fall or may be paid J is stronger in fall?

If you want the direct Sabre inventory (not that expert flyer crap) for a specific date i have access to that, just PM me.
Thanks for sharing guys. Sounds like C upgrades do exist on DFW-HKG so definitely encouraging food for thought. If we don't get upgraded 24h out we'll just request veg meals which will hopefully be better than the usual Y slop.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by alien
I would be in the dark without EF and find it to be a valuable set of tools. ^
EF is valuable for those without insider information
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because EF will only show you 9+ not the exact number of seats available. And EF will not tell you how much a flight is oversold. you can only get this information directly from Sabre using an AA login.
I've never attempted to upgrade more than nine passengers (or even seven), so the actual number of C inventory in excess of the one or two I want really doesn't interest me.

Since I don't fly NRSA or buy refundable tickets on overbooked flights in hopes of scoring VDB compensation, I couldn't care less about the overbooked status of a flight.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:11 pm

I've never attempted to upgrade more than nine passengers (or even seven), so the actual number of C inventory in excess of the one or two I want really doesn't interest me.

Since I don't fly NRSA or buy refundable tickets on overbooked flights in hopes of scoring VDB compensation, I couldn't care less about the overbooked status of a flight.
Knowing if theres 33 open C seats vs 11C seats is a better gauge on guessing your upgrade clearing chances.

just because it says J9 or C9 doesn't mean theres 9 upgrades spots... but if theres a LOT of unsold business seats, your chances of upgrading is higher.

Don't see what the problem is. i just volunteered some information you can't get off EF and people are tripping.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:42 pm

Knowing if theres 33 open C seats vs 11C seats is a better gauge on guessing your upgrade clearing chances.

just because it says J9 or C9 doesn't mean theres 9 upgrades spots... but if theres a LOT of unsold business seats, your chances of upgrading is higher.

Don't see what the problem is. i just volunteered some information you can't get off EF and people are tripping.
Well, saying something like
that expert flyer crap
is certainly not a nice way of putting it.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:12 pm

is everyone here employed by EF or something to take offense to such a temperate statement? lol
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's apparent that you are not aware what "C" inventory represents. AA uses "C" solely for upgrades from economy to business class (miles or certs). Business classes sold by AA are J, D and I. C is not sold by AA.

Uh, no. When Expert Flyer shows me "C" inventory on AA (AA maxes at 7, not 9), then those C seats are in fact available for upgrades. C is an upgrade inventory.

I understand. That is certainly some valuable information.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:17 pm

It's apparent that you are not aware what "C" inventory represents. AA uses "C" solely for upgrades from economy to business class (miles or certs). Business classes sold by AA are J, D and I. C is not sold by AA.

Uh, no. When Expert Flyer shows me "C" inventory on AA (AA maxes at 7, not 9), then those C seats are in fact available for upgrades. C is an upgrade inventory.

I understand. That is certainly some valuable information.
Thanks for the clarification. "C" is a generic term i use to describe business class, as does most of the airline industry, its either C or J. "F" is the generic term for first, and "Y" is the generic term for economy.

The point i was trying to make is if you see J7, you have no idea if thats 7 open business seats, 22 open business seats, or 39. If theres 39 open business seats, it stands to reason someone has a better chance of clearing an upgrade than say if there were only idk... 7 business seats open.

I apologize if i offended anyone with my "mean" remarks about EF lol. Wasn't really my intention. My intention was to offer some helpful information, thats it. NOt sure how it dragged on like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.