Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Domestic/short haul catering doesn't have to suck

I call Stockholm Syndrome on anyone who (a) has a well traveled set of tastes and (b) really thinks AA Domestic F catering is worth a damn. The new chicken entrees are universally disgusting. I find myself taking the much unhealthier pasta entrees just so I have something to eat.

9W has some great catering. Flew a sub-400 mile sector out of DEL with chicken curry or kidney bean wrap, bottle of water, and fruit cake for each pax in Y on fully loaded 737. That crew worked hard. Relatives on SIN - DEL (similar length to a transcon) in J said food was excellent.

BA on LIS - LHR served a half decent chicken wrap in Y, not Pret quality but decent.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Folks, it's AIRPLANE FOOD. There is a limit at what anyone can do at 35,000 feet given the tiny ovens and cramped galley.

Did you expect anything other than Airplane Food? Did you buy into the hype?

Our cuisine is prepared by award-winning, internationally renowned chefs to delight your senses...
Pah. Forget the hype. Airplane Food varies from delicious (I still remember a chef's salad I had in Coach, once) to truly horrible. If you find you really can't stomach Airplane Food, then get something of your own choice while still on the ground, then pass on the inedible disgusting food while in flight.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Folks, it's AIRPLANE FOOD. There is a limit at what anyone can do at 35,000 feet given the tiny ovens and cramped galley.

Pah. Forget the hype. Airplane Food varies from delicious (I still remember a chef's salad I had in Coach, once) to truly horrible. If you find you really can't stomach Airplane Food, then get something of your own choice while still on the ground, then pass on the inedible disgusting food while in flight.
This is an argument people continue to use, but in reality, a year ago we saw few complaints about the quality of the food served on board. It was nothing amazing, but for domestic F it was decently palatable and did not generally present as awfully as the current dishes do. Returning to pre-merger catering standards entirely would be a perfectly acceptable solution to me. Getting something on the ground is not always a viable option.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold

Absolutely. If other airlines can offer quite decent meals onboard, that fact that AA doesn't means it's not trying hard enough.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
AAs food is garbage just admit it people.....everything was fine pre 9/1
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

I think you are missing the point. Domestic F catering was never this bad. I wasn't expecting CX F/J but at least it was always edible. The piece of chicken I got was a piece of rubber.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Thanks, Obama!
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by mikekelley
I will never understand how on a $2500+ TATL or TPAC business or first ticket, AA can't be bothered to spend more than $20 on food for premium cabin customers. Ridiculous...
They hardly spend $20, keep in mind most airline meals are on par with "TV dinner" food, they are just presented differently. Consider the transportation, storage time, and temperature variances that this food has to endure. To prep it, it has to use warmers, not microwaves, but the food is the equivalent of a microwaved dinner. And that it still has to be "fresh tasting" after many hours, in the event of a delay. That equates to tons of preservatives and sodium. From talking to a friend who worked in onboard catering, the cost was much lower than you would ever expect.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Oh yeah, it was "fine" before 9/1. It was better on average than it is now (and way better then it was the first week of September), but "fine" is a revisionist history even I can't buy into.

Actually, I take that back... If you had a fetish for canned fruit cocktail (Eagle), consider nuts and a cookie a meal at odd times, and think the "P" in PDB means "post", then pre-9/1 was peachy. In fact many days, it was canned peachy.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Part of me knows that it's not that hard to create great tasting food, they just have to be extremely cost conscious about the whole thing, to the detriment of the food itself. They absolutely could create and serve amazing food, they just don't want to (for financial reasons). It will never change, but that won't stop us whining about it (and rightly so...)
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mikekelley
Part of me knows that it's not that hard to create great tasting food, they just have to be extremely cost conscious about the whole thing, to the detriment of the food itself. They absolutely could create and serve amazing food, they just don't want to (for financial reasons). It will never change, but that won't stop us whining about it (and rightly so...)
It was posted a while back that the estimated cost savings was something like $20,000,000. That is a laughable amount for a company posting over $1 Billion per quarter.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:19 pm

The food on AA in F is generally, over the past few months, absolutely revolting, smelly, inedible and so forth. There are bizarre exceptions, such as a lovely shrimp salad served at 3:30 in the afternoon on a 90 minute flight from ORD-BDL. Go figure! Was certainly glad to see it, but my strategy is always to take plenty of food onboard and assume the worse.

The really awful (mushy this; rock-hard that) catering seems to be out of DFW, in my experience.

As a practical suggestion, if enough letters are mailed to the Chairman of AA, it may well get a response. Physical documents get treated completely differently internally; e-mails and so forth are usually just a waste of time and easy to ignore.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No Michelin stars here, but so good I ate it all. The style of cooking (meat in sauce, steamed rice, steamed vegetables) reheats very well.

Had it last month, on a 4 hour flight leaving at 2145 (almost 10pm). In Y. Yes, it is possible to have edible food, not only in F, but also in Y.

Hint: I was not flying AA!
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by hillrider
In Y.
Sorry, don't understand this sentence.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by justforfun
Just had the duck on JFK-GIG yesterday. When I pre-booked it it was called Char Siu Duck, but on the menus it was just Roasted Duck. It was actually pretty tasty.
I will second this. I have had the duck twice this year to LHR and am a fan. Ordered it this week again to SCL as a matter of fact

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.