Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luvlanna
AA's crap food should be served to Doug Parker and his minions in Dallas. Let them eat the crap they serve and watch things change in a hurry.
I do like the idea of Parker and all the SVPs and VPs eating nothing than AA domestic medium-haul food for a whole week. Evenly split between "F" and the Y food for purchase. No access to vending machine or other food.

Someone who knows how to do so should start a petition. I think the media would lap it up.

Last edited by hillrider; Jun 10, 2015 at 11:38 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Parker's "war on people who eat" is also an issue with the rebanking the hubs. See posts at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24949513-post67.html.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
While I generally agree that AA food is at the bottom of the airline barrel, even in F, I must say that I had the second best meal I've ever had on a plane the other day LAX-JFK AA 32 in F. It was poached salmon in a butter sauce with rice and green veggies. The salmon was tender, flaky, tasty and not overdone. The butter sauce was actually light!! Cabin crew was great, too.

I'm taking AA 21 next Wednesday, -- hope to get a repeat of this quality.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
For a long time, espeically on long haul international flights, I have not even counted on the food being decent, everyone tastes varies, I like my food spicy, and even trying the so called "asian" option has been very disappointing. I will stick with the nuts and cheese plate.
When traveling thru LHR will pick up a sandwich/crisps, it always seems to taste alot better than what they offer on the plane.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by duniawala
I guess the lucky passengers were in the back of the plane. Not worth the extra money if the food is that bad.
Or the SWU for some.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
While I generally agree that AA food is at the bottom of the airline barrel, even in F, I must say that I had the second best meal I've ever had on a plane the other day LAX-JFK AA 32 in F. It was poached salmon in a butter sauce with rice and green veggies. The salmon was tender, flaky, tasty and not overdone. The butter sauce was actually light!! Cabin crew was great, too.

I'm taking AA 21 next Wednesday, -- hope to get a repeat of this quality.
Aren't the JFK/LAX flights on a higher pedestal compared to most other east coast/west coast flights? It's one of the few domestic flights with F, J and Y cabins. I wonder if the J cuisine on JFK/LAX route is comparable to what folks in outer routes get in F.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by gordon0808
I agree. I flew UA F for the first time in nearly two years recently from IAH to EWR, and the food was much better than anything I have been served on AA recently. Such a shame! AA used to have decent food, but now has the worst catering of them all.
Exactly what I said in the meal thread. @:-).

Where are the apologists and my fans????

We need you to come in and bash me and everyone in this thread
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Sant
Aren't the JFK/LAX flights on a higher pedestal compared to most other east coast/west coast flights? It's one of the few domestic flights with F, J and Y cabins. I wonder if the J cuisine on JFK/LAX route is comparable to what folks in outer routes get in F.
F and J meals are pretty much identical on LAX-JFK/MIA. F meals just get served on larger plates, essentially. For breakfast, you get an extra yogurt parfait.

The competition is THAT much better on this route. Someone mentioned jetblue being better. This is true, but I personally find Delta to be the most enjoyable. Delta One on this route serves far better food than the competition. But then again in general, Delta is THE best domestic carrier at this very moment when it comes to products.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fotographer
For a long time, espeically on long haul international flights, I have not even counted on the food being decent, everyone tastes varies, I like my food spicy, and even trying the so called "asian" option has been very disappointing. I will stick with the nuts and cheese plate.
When traveling thru LHR will pick up a sandwich/crisps, it always seems to taste alot better than what they offer on the plane.
There's an app solution for that.

During my military service, my self-defense program against military chow was to always have my own. Chili flakes, ground spices, etc. can "improve" the flavors of crap food.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
I've been in F on 3 DL flights w/ meals this year and have found exactly zero difference between what they serve and what AA serves... none... zip, zero, nada... YMMV but that's my experience.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:28 pm

Recently flew JFK/LAX 293 and the dinner in J was especially enjoyable...the salmon and the beef filet.
The FC meal on the flight LAX - LIH (breakfast) is not appealing at all. On the return flight LIH - LAX I realize that LIH does not have a catering facility and the food comes over on the flight from LAX -- but the ravioli or pizza selection has been the same for years and is truly disgusting.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Dinner last nite AA BOS to ORD

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Why eat it if it is so disgusting?
Was UG'd. 2+ hr flight. Work to do. Knew meal would not be great. True saw the two selections as others served. So skipped and was happy with nuts and good wine pours. Good seat. WiFi. Power. I was fine. Eat at home or go out for dinner somewhere. Food not at the top of my list (but nuts and wine are!). Understand everyone has there own priorities etc which is AOK!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:46 pm

Normally connect thru DFW on AA, and haven't had a good F meal in the longest time. Stuff is passable, at best. Have taken to eating at the Centurion Lounge. When my first leg isn't running late, that is.

On transcons, I fly Virgin as often as possible, and haven't had a bad meal yet. At first, they were spectacular. Now, VS meals are simply very, very good.

AA moves you from here to there. Branson puts on a show.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have been flying exclusively Delta First Class domestic recently and can't say I miss AA one bit and it appears I made the right decision. Its a real shame because prior to the merger I enjoyed American First Class and went out of my way for it.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Domestic or international? Flight origin and destination help with frame of reference.
No further details from the OP. Date/time/origin/destination would be useful, as would class of service.

Knowing how to complain/criticize properly and with effectiveness is not an advanced skill. Such criticisms can get results from firms and add to the value of FT.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:07 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aero0729
I had a breakfast flight this morning. The food served was all vile. A quiche that tasted like a wet sponge, neighbor had oatmeal and said it wasn't any good. The potatoes were the worst potatoes I have ever tasted. There are only two things keeping me at AA. Value of miles and eVIP's. The onboard product is far below the competition. My recent UA/DL flights in First had food that tasted decent and was much fresher. Anyone else feel feel the same about this nasty food?
What was your origin city? I've found some cities are better than others. Catering xHNL, for example, has been uniformly awful, regardless of carrier. I assume they all use the same catering company in HNL.

xLAX, I generally find AA's meals to be acceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.