Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by aero0729
I had a breakfast flight this morning. The food served was all vile. A quiche that tasted like a wet sponge, neighbor had oatmeal and said it wasn't any good. The potatoes were the worst potatoes I have ever tasted. There are only two things keeping me at AA. Value of miles and eVIP's. The onboard product is far below the competition. My recent UA/DL flights in First had food that tasted decent and was much fresher. Anyone else feel feel the same about this nasty food?
Maybe it's me, but I find the quiches to be one of the few entrees virtually unchanged from the pmAA days. I also find them to be one of the better meals served at any time of day, FWIW.

Either they've been serving me better quiches, or you're going to be in a whole world of hurt when you try the Chicken Piccata.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
My partner, who is now EP, started flying AA right about when the merger started. He has actually noticed an improvement in F catering recently. And he came from DL. So go figure!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Originally Posted by Miesque
I have been flying exclusively Delta First Class domestic recently and can't say I miss AA one bit and it appears I made the right decision. Its a real shame because prior to the merger I enjoyed American First Class and went out of my way for it.
+1. 9/10 times you will receive a PDB as well on DL.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I find the breakfast entrees to be the better meals on AA these days (and most similar to pre 9/11 changes).....it's the lunch and dinner items that need some serious help. I haven't tried the plated hummus yet though.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:52 pm

And what does a wet sponge taste like? I'm not a connoisseur of sponges myself and am unfamiliar with the nuances of their taste.

One more vote for DL's F offerings. Are they truly worth being called First Class meals? No, but then again DL doesn't really call it First either these days. Quick tip: Find a friendly FA and chat them up. They'll guide you to what's good and what's not.

I also agree that it does matter as to if it's domestic/int'l and as to which airport you're flying from. Different contractors, different employees, different facilities at the various airports.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:13 pm

Recently flew PVR to DFW in J. I really don't care about airplane food that much, so I don't pay too much attention about upcoming flights. In fact for a 2.5 hr flight. I was figuring maybe a snack on this flight, so I had something to eat in the lounge at PVR.

Surprise, a full meal! (It's an afternoon flight too) I could have sworn the FA said Pasta or Meat Loaf, I asked twice, so I said let me try the meat loaf.

I got this HUGE slab of steak. I literally could not cut it with my knife. I could not pull it apart with any utensil on my plate. Ah well, left it there and that was that.

I'm just hoping it really wasn't a meat loaf though.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
That is too bad! American used to have amazing food compared to other U.S. airlines up front for domestic travel. Their service was much better than Delta! Hopefully they can become the American of the past soon! United was the same way, but has not been nearly as good since merging. It seems to be the same with American now as well.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:22 pm

What I don't get is how can AA serve the Japanese meal on TPAC without any napkin. With the western meals you get the silverware wrapped inside a cloth napkin. With the Japanese meal you get a pair of chopsticks inside a paper wrapper. Does AA expect me to use the chopstick wrapper as a napkin????

One FA even try to justify it as "in Japan you don't get a napkin with your meal". I then asked "then where is the hot towels?" and also told her to tell the captain to keep the aircraft perfectly steady while I eat my meal. AA used to provide cloth napkins with all of their meals. Is this a money saving measure from Parker?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Why eat it if it is so disgusting?
Exactly ^ ... probably licked the plate clean, too
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by GaryZ
Exactly ^ ... probably licked the plate clean, too
Couldn't stand looking at it?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Oh, boy. We're flying to Europe on AA in a few days (first time in years). I have worked really hard at managing my husband's expectations. He picked out his meals already, and I think he was initially expecting something along the lines of SQ, since, you know, "Book the Cook." I reminded him he has done this on AA on the way to LatAm. He looked a bit crestfallen. I told him he may not get the homemade sundae anymore. He looked even sadder. Say what you will about AA's catering, but a lot of passengers looked forward to those sundaes.

I doubt we will have had much more than coffee/tea in our systems by the time we hit the AC. I am not particularly food-driven, but my husband? He is not going to be happy if the food is trash. Maybe apps at Bobby Van's will help.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Why serve it if it is so disgusting?

Originally Posted by ysolde
Oh, boy. We're flying to Europe on AA in a few days (first time in years). I have worked really hard at managing my husband's expectations. He picked out his meals already, and I think he was initially expecting something along the lines of SQ, since, you know, "Book the Cook." I reminded him he has done this on AA on the way to LatAm. He looked a bit crestfallen. I told him he may not get the homemade sundae anymore. He looked even sadder. Say what you will about AA's catering, but a lot of passengers looked forward to those sundaes.

I doubt we will have had much more than coffee/tea in our systems by the time we hit the AC. I am not particularly food-driven, but my husband? He is not going to be happy if the food is trash. Maybe apps at Bobby Van's will help.
What are the pre-order options? Most around here could probably help steer you in the direction of the least offensive options.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: aa,starwood
Back from Shanghai on Monday with evening meal fish inedible for spouse and steak overcooked for my tastes. Disappointment set in as there were only 4 of us in FC and cmon AA, couldn't we have done better?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmd320
Why serve it if it is so disgusting?

What are the pre-order options? Most around here could probably help steer you in the direction of the least offensive options.
The options are:

Spinach stuffed ravioli topped with gouda creme

Blackened salmon with creole rice, broccolini, and roasted corn relish

Char Siu duck with curry lime sauce, coconut rice, and sauteed spinach

Coffee crusted beef filet with red wine sauce, roasted potatoes, and sauteed spinach

Right now, we have both gone for the coffee crusted beef filet, since we are not thrilled with the idea of airplane pasta, fish can be dicey, and are not sure about the duck. Process of elimination. If anyone has had the duck or the salmon (or the pasta, for that matter) and can recommend it (or can rule out the beef), it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!!!!!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can read through here for answers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...illing-me.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.