Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dickinson
Perhaps we all are, but as a PLAT I have found myself much less motivated to buy stickers for upgrades.
I don't see stickers as a big revenue source for AA. The 100% EQP bonus is minting tons of new EXPs, anyway; and they're getting those upgrades before anyone else, of course, and sticker-free at that. The earn/burn ratio is excellent with AAdvantage, -- try beating roundtrip TPAC CX F for 135K miles with a similar quality carrier on *A or ST. And with the extra miles and low TPAC fares ex-ICN, AA has essentially purchased all of my business for 2015. I commute more or less monthly BKK/BOS.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gordon0808
I agree. I flew UA F for the first time in nearly two years recently from IAH to EWR, and the food was much better than anything I have been served on AA recently. Such a shame! AA used to have decent food, but now has the worst catering of them all.
You'd think AA would step up in response to competitive pressures.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bcj1949
Was UG'd. 2+ hr flight. Work to do. Knew meal would not be great. True saw the two selections as others served. So skipped and was happy with nuts and good wine pours. Good seat. WiFi. Power. I was fine. Eat at home or go out for dinner somewhere. Food not at the top of my list (but nuts and wine are!). Understand everyone has there own priorities etc which is AOK!
I used to enjoy the F dinner ORD-BOS...seems a route they spend extraa on to provide superior offerings.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I would have sworn that was a sponge! Maybe I know croque-monsieurs (in their various conceptions) too well for my own good?
I think they mix-spelled; it obviously should read "croak messier".
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Perhaps. But from a bottom line perspective, AA has reduced its cost and we're all still flying.
Perhaps. But AA's unit revenue since September 1 has fallen much more than the paltry savings from the Dougie-Brand Dog Food. Save a few million in costs, reduce revenues by a hundred million or more. Smart move.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Perhaps. But AA's unit revenue since September 1 has fallen much more than the paltry savings from the Dougie-Brand Dog Food. Save a few million in costs, reduce revenues by a hundred million or more. Smart move.
I think AA's declining unit revenue is a little more complex than simply its lower quality catering since 9/1. The Wright Amendment was lifted completely in Oct, which would affect AA disproportionately compared to UA or DL, and the recession in Brazil cannot be helping. There could also be overcapacity in some markets due to the merger, although probably less likely since AA and US didn't overlap on too many routes. Yes, some pax could be leaving AA due to its declining food quality, but is it driving the declining unit revenue? I am not so sure.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I think AA's declining unit revenue is a little more complex than simply its lower quality catering since 9/1. The Wright Amendment was lifted completely in Oct, which would affect AA disproportionately compared to UA or DL, and the recession in Brazil cannot be helping. There could also be overcapacity in some markets due to the merger, although probably less likely since AA and US didn't overlap on too many routes. Yes, some pax could be leaving AA due to its declining food quality, but is it driving the declining unit revenue? I am not so sure.
I would expand it beyond declining food to also include declining customer service, declining onboard product (soft and hard, outside of 777s and 787s), massive schedule changes with very tight layovers, very early departures, and very late arrivals, rising prices, competition from foreign airlines with which AA simply cannot compete, and overall poor performance.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by cmd320
I would expand it beyond declining food to also include declining customer service, declining onboard product (soft and hard, outside of 777s and 787s), massive schedule changes with very tight layovers, very early departures, and very late arrivals, rising prices, competition from foreign airlines with which AA simply cannot compete, and overall poor performance.
Some of these factors are hard to address. But the quality of the food is not.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Perhaps. But from a bottom line perspective, AA has reduced its cost and we're all still flying.
Yep, eliminating the olives, and introducing all the willted lettuce has saved AA, generating billions in profits!

And are we still flying? I don't have the same enthusiasm to fly anymore - and this is part of the reason.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wexflyer
Some of these factors are hard to address. But the quality of the food is not.
Agreed. None of it is really complex, meals are quite possibly the easiest fix.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:20 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Yes, some pax could be leaving AA due to its declining food quality, but is it driving the declining unit revenue? I am not so sure.
I know I am not alone in skipping on purchased first tickets and instead buying cheap coach tickets and playing upgrade roulette. The F meal service is no longer worth the price premium IMHO.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I know I am not alone in skipping on purchased first tickets and instead buying cheap coach tickets and playing upgrade roulette. The F meal service is no longer worth the price premium IMHO.
It never was.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by JonNYC
It never was.
Agreed
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
It never was.
Originally Posted by morrisunc
Agreed
It was a benefit. One which helped justify the cost of F, and justify the cost of doing business with AA. A benefit which is long gone. I don't think anyone here is under the impression of thinking an F meal service was worth a $900 F ticket, but it was a component of the product which offered value. You can only take so many things away and continue to expect people to pay for what is a truly lousy product.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat United Premier Silver Hilton Diamond Marriott Gold
Meal service isnt EVER worth the premium price. A meal of Chili's quality doesnt justify an extra $700....how does that make any sense? If you buy F for food thats just not a good setup for ROI. What meal is worth that price tag anywhere let alone on an airplane...

Originally Posted by cmd320
It was a benefit. One which helped justify the cost of F, and justify the cost of doing business with AA. A benefit which is long gone. I don't think anyone here is under the impression of thinking an F meal service was worth a $900 F ticket, but it was a component of the product which offered value. You can only take so many things away and continue to expect people to pay for what is a truly lousy product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.