Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: AA Catering still Disgusting (separate from description / menu threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
It never was.
For you maybe. For someone who at one point ate 4-6 airline meals every week for a span of two years, it completely was.

YMMV. Imposing one's eating preferences on someone else without knowledge of their particular circumstances seems about as helpful as choosing their IFE too.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Maybe two years ago - but the declining service, quality, and overall customer service has deteriorated rapidly under Parker's regime. They took a low budget airline management and thrust it into a once premium-service airline. Let's face it - AA was really thriving under Horton and many of the changes his team enacted. Since U.S., most of it has been since removed or deteriorating rapidly. Ask any FA and they will agree whole heartedly.

Next years Freddy awards would be a slap in the face if AA tanked in its ratings. I've flown JetBlue Mint once now, and let me tell you, it's light years ahead of AA now. Same with Virgin America.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
AA Catering is still Disgusting

Not only are the domestic F meals disgusting, the portions are small.

Seriously, can we have more cheese free choices? Please?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by USAIRCHAIRMAN
Meal service isnt EVER worth the premium price. A meal of Chili's quality doesnt justify an extra $700....how does that make any sense? If you buy F for food thats just not a good setup for ROI. What meal is worth that price tag anywhere let alone on an airplane...
Trust me, 90%+ of the people here agree.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Last week in Domestic F, i chose the "curry chicken"... Received a plate where everything tasted and smelled like a bag of olives! They pretty much encrusted the thing in olives. Who mixes curry and olives??? I hate olives...

Food on AA used to be edible, now it is just garbage. Even the once heavenly biscuits seem to be different.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by USAIRCHAIRMAN
Meal service isnt EVER worth the premium price. A meal of Chili's quality doesnt justify an extra $700....how does that make any sense? If you buy F for food thats just not a good setup for ROI. What meal is worth that price tag anywhere let alone on an airplane...
Clearly you haven't spent much time utilizing AA's new 38 minute connection scheme between midcon flights. If you had, and only had the option to eat AA food for 9-10 hours on some days, you may understand why needing something edible is important, and why if I won't be getting that, I will choose an airline that will provide me with that, or at least a connection with enough time to get something at the airport. The F product is being significantly eroded, meal service is one component of that, but not the only one.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
When I read threads like this one, I sometimes wonder whether I fly a different airline than many of the commenters. Is AA's F catering on par with many international carriers? Absolutely not. Could FAs more consistently offer PDBs? Totally. Is AA serving gourmet, Michelin star meals inflight? Nope - they never have and never will.

But in my opinion and from my experience, post 9/1 catering is far from "disgusting,' "prison food," or "grade school cafeteria food." Just my two cents!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Everyone has different tastes and their expectations vary accordingly. I appreciate the issues the suppliers face with trying to put together something that can be finished off in the air and still stay within the budgets is not easy. There are so many different issues with the downgrading of service seen at AA and I suspect many will bail. That may not matter to the decision makers as they will probably still get their bonuses for making their numbers look good. But the long range effect may change those numbers and those doing the pillaging will most likely be long gone (knowing what will happen). These are norman business cycles. My question is how long before things start to recover?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
The silver lining to the pathetic disgusting catering that is now the norm at AA (along with smaller portions) is that I often skip the "meal" altogether now or if I do nibble on a few items its often a much smaller portion. Lately I have been feeling much better when I get off the plane.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by truthknown
Food on AA used to be edible, now it is just garbage. Even the once heavenly biscuits seem to be different.
It's very true, I used to enjoy the food quite a bit, and now it's awful. I don't buy F just for the food (to me the extra space is worth 75% of the price, 15% is the drinks, and 10% is the food), but I really miss having something tasty to eat, especially during mealtimes.

The biscuits are different because they are no longer baked on board but now only reheated, that's a major difference.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
...I don't buy F just for the food (to me the extra space is worth 75% of the price, 15% is the drinks, and 10% is the food),
That seems like a very sensible breakdown-- or even it's 75% space/seat 25% "food and drink" -- no one in their right mind is or ever was paying most of the F fare (of the few here that actually, really do) to get better food on AA flights.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 22, 2015 at 11:59 am
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Not only are the domestic F meals disgusting, the portions are small.

Seriously, can we have more cheese free choices? Please?
Switch to DL or UA and let us know how it goes. Certainly, AA meals are not as great as they used to be, but still better than the vomit competitors like UA are serving.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly747first
Switch to DL or UA and let us know how it goes. Certainly, AA meals are not as great as they used to be, but still better than the vomit competitors like UA are serving.
I really don't think that applies to "vomit competitor" DL at this point in time.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by fly747first
"vomit competitor" does not apply to UA. UA upgraded its domestic F meals, and added F meals to more flights.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I really don't think that applies to "vomit competitor" DL at this point in time.
Originally Posted by Austin787
"vomit competitor" does not apply to UA. UA upgraded its domestic F meals, and added F meals to more flights.
Well, tat settles it then-- the vomit is in the eye of the beholder.

Mean time, to interrupt this vomit-fest (literally) new, improved domestic F-meals coming on July 1st:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showp...0&postcount=46

Transcon F

Beef Oscar

Lobster Risotto

Steamed Sea Bass

Wagyu Meatloaf

Pan-Roasted Coconut Lime Chicken

Turmeric Paneer

Domestic F

Beef Filet w/ lobster mac & cheese

Shrimp & Grits

Lasagne

Lentil Chile

Asian Slaw Salad (w/ teriyaki chicken)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.