Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I have a Citi and a Barclays card, however, only my Barclays card offers the 10% rebate on redemptions, so I was curious to see if the system will be smart enough to figure out that my Citi card doesn't provide that benefit and to have the full 10% credited through Barclays. Well, that's exactly what happened. So, somehow they have coded it to make that determination. Only the Citi card shows up under my AA profile, so I wasn't sure if the Barclays card was linked properly after the merge but it seems that all is OK.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I have a Citi and a Barclays card, however, only my Barclays card offers the 10% rebate on redemptions, so I was curious to see if the system will be smart enough to figure out that my Citi card doesn't provide that benefit and to have the full 10% credited through Barclays. Well, that's exactly what happened. So, somehow they have coded it to make that determination. Only the Citi card shows up under my AA profile, so I wasn't sure if the Barclays card was linked properly after the merge but it seems that all is OK.
I have both the US Airways (not yet converted to the Aviator Red) and the Citi cards and I just redeemed a roundtrip reduced mileage award (thanks to the Citi card) at 17,500. It ticketed, and instantly gave me back 1,752 miles -- split into four line items:

Code:
AVIATOR 2015 AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS	6/16/15	0	438	438
CITI 2015 AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS	6/16/15	0	438	438
AVIATOR 2015 AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS	6/16/15	0	438	438
CITI 2015 AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS	6/16/15	0	438	438
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:02 am

I remember someone mentioning that the refunded miles go away if you end up canceling the award tickets. Fair enough. But what happens if you make a different award reservation, later but in the same year? Do you get the bonus again? Can you request it if it doesn't post automatically?

I'm certainly not trying to get the bonus twice (I know it won't happen). But I wonder what happens if I need to cancel the award tickets that triggered the rebate and book a separate, unrelated award later on.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:18 pm

My understanding is that it won't post automatically if you've already hit the limit. You'll need to call it in for manual adjustment. Here's an example. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rd-refund.html

Last edited by synk; Jun 28, 2015 at 11:32 pm
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ffflllyyyeeerrr
You don't have to use the card to get the rebate. It's tied to your AAdvantage account.
Originally Posted by jdcbomb
i thought the citi exec $450 AF card was not eligible for the 10% rebate on award redemptions...been checking multiple sites and getting conflicting answers

recently made a large 105K award flight redemption and still got 10% back...
Originally Posted by gamzarme
From what I can tell reading through this thread, the bonus credit of the miles post instantly, however from a 60,000 AAdvantage award mile booking made on March 1st the 10% credit has yet to be applied.

Perhaps it is because I only have access to this benefit through my Barclaycard Aviator Red card, a benefit that was not brought to the AAdvantage program until 2Q15. Does that seem logical? If so, I guess I am out of luck.
So.. I have found this thread interesting and confusing even as everyone has tried to be clear. Husband purchased award tickets for me today using exec mc. He has a platinum select as well. Award miles came out of my account and I instantly received 2 5000 miles rebates in my AA account. He then purchased awards for him with the same card. No rebates. He is exp and we have reinstated several awards so there may have been a rebate at one time Earlier in the year he purchased award tickets for my daughter out of her account. She also has a platinum select card. No rebates for her All the cards are in our names as primary.

Questions
Can my hubby reinstate award and pay with my card and get the rebate? I know I c an see the rebate line, would I also see the return of the rebate on his acCT from previously returned awards?

Confirming, my daughter needs to pay for her award with her card to get the bonus?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
So.. I have found this thread interesting and confusing even as everyone has tried to be clear. Husband purchased award tickets for me today using exec mc. He has a platinum select as well. Award miles came out of my account and I instantly received 2 5000 miles rebates in my AA account. He then purchased awards for him with the same card. No rebates. He is exp and we have reinstated several awards so there may have been a rebate at one time Earlier in the year he purchased award tickets for my daughter out of her account. She also has a platinum select card. No rebates for her All the cards are in our names as primary.

Questions
Can my hubby reinstate award and pay with my card and get the rebate? I know I c an see the rebate line, would I also see the return of the rebate on his acCT from previously returned awards?

Confirming, my daughter needs to pay for her award with her card to get the bonus?
It's pretty simple. Which AAdvantage account is tied to the Platinum Select credit card? That person (the primary account holder) will get the 10% rebate, up to 10k miles per year. It's important to note that this is only for miles redeemed out of that linked AAdvantage account.

If you have a redemption canceled and the miles reimbursed, you will have to manually ask AA for the 10% rebate for any miles if you have gone over the 10k limit, as only the first 10k are automatically rebated online.

In your case, it seems you and your husband both have the Platinum Select credit card. This will give both of you a 10% rebate, up to 10k miles, on each of your AAdvantage accounts. If your daughter is not the primary user on a Platinum Select credit card tied to her AAdvantage account, she will not receive a rebate.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Husband purchased award tickets for me today using exec mc.[...]
He then purchased awards for him with the same card. [...]
Can my hubby reinstate award and pay with my card and get the rebate? [...]
FYI, it doesn't matter what card you pay with. What matters is whether the owner of the AA miles account from which the miles are redeemed is also the primary cardholder on a rebate-qualified card from Citi or Barclays.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:34 pm

Hi,

I have a Barclay AA Aviator Red card, can I receive 10% miles rebate if I book an award flight for my sister using another Chase credit card?

Or do I have to use the AA Aviator Red to book the award flight in order to receive the 10% rebate?

I can receive the rebate for booking the award flight for other family member using my AA mile account, correct?

thanks.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by beltway
FYI, it doesn't matter what card you pay with. What matters is whether the owner of the AA miles account from which the miles are redeemed is also the primary cardholder on a rebate-qualified card from Citi or Barclays.
This is the most succinct explanation. Thanks..
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by apple1122
Hi,

I have a Barclay AA Aviator Red card, can I receive 10% miles rebate if I book an award flight for my sister using another Chase credit card?

Or do I have to use the AA Aviator Red to book the award flight in order to receive the 10% rebate?

I can receive the rebate for booking the award flight for other family member using my AA mile account, correct?

thanks.
In the post above you (and the explanation at the top) , it explains it doesn't matter which credit card you use to book the award. as long as you have a card tied to the AAdvantage account used to redeem the miles, you'll get the bonus.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by apple1122
Hi,

thanks.
I booked awards for friends of mine and got the rebated miles - effortlessly, rapidly. ^

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 19, 2015 at 2:12 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: MR, DL, MM, HH
Booked 2 roundtrip T flights to Japan from CLT at 25k points 1way, 100k total. Got the 10k rebate pretty much instantly. I have both Barclays and CITI cards. Glad to be able to use that benefit
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
I'm liking my AA/Citi card more than my UA/Chase card.

Why? Just booked a AA/Citi Reduced Mileage Award for a family member. Got the miles discount (7,500) and the 10% rebate (1,750) instantly, all from one $11.20 "purchase". Would need to spend $25,000 within a calendar year to get their annual 10,000 mile bonus from Chase.

Originally Posted by beltway
...it doesn't matter what card you pay with...
If you charge the taxes to your AA card you do get the 2 miles/$ bonus. Got another 22 miles out of that.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Upgraded to Aviator Silver, 10% Miles-back limit reset?

Hi Just upgraded to the Aviator Silver card this month.

I have made around 100k redemption this year with the Aviator Red, which maxed out on the 10% miles back benefit. Now with the new Silver card, I wonder if it that means a reset on the 10k miles-back limit? or am I still max-ed up and have to wait til next year for it to reset?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
still maxed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.