Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by shoodawg
Why do you doubt such a thing? Why would AA not want to sell those additional miles to a second bank?
A slap in Citibank's face from their "exclusive" partner, after kicking in LOTS of cash to help AA get through their financial difficulties. While Parker was lining up support from labor, investment community to steal control of AA during the bankruptcy, Citibank should have done the same to gain control of the Aadvantage program. Instead, they now have to compete with a second / third tier credit card provider for an industry leading program Citi helped to create, build.

Another colossal failure by a "too big to fail" entity.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by ffflllyyyeeerrr
Not at all true. This is how a lazy programmer would implement it.
Sabre is older than most people here; i wouldn't say lazy more like extremely old and limited computer system. And why should they program it to stack benefits? i doubt they intended the benefits to be stackable otherwise anyone could just get 10 credit cards and get 100% of their miles back everytime... lol
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Sabre is older than most people here; i wouldn't say lazy more like extremely old and limited computer system. And why should they program it to stack benefits? i doubt they intended the benefits to be stackable otherwise anyone could just get 10 credit cards and get 100% of their miles back everytime... lol
Btw, there is more than one way that this benefit could theoretically be stackable. While neither seems likely to me, keep in mind that it could be a stacking of the 100k cap, rather than a stacking of the 10%. Ie, it could be 10% back on a max of 100k if you have one bank's card, but 10% back on a max of 200k if you have both banks' cards. That would be a stacking that fewer people would run into or be able to take advantage of, and so that might be a stacking they'd be less opposed to.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Btw, there is more than one way that this benefit could theoretically be stackable. While neither seems likely to me, keep in mind that it could be a stacking of the 100k cap, rather than a stacking of the 10%. Ie, it could be 10% back on a max of 100k if you have one bank's card, but 10% back on a max of 200k if you have both banks' cards. That would be a stacking that fewer people would run into or be able to take advantage of, and so that might be a stacking they'd be less opposed to.
I should point out here that the T&Cs of both programs, with respect to the individual bank benefit limit the max miles rebated per year to 10K. I have 4 citi cards myself, each with this benefit. The max I get back is 10K. Barclays has similar language, if you have their business and personal card you still can only get a max of 10k back total.

The question here , which I am presenting is since Barclays and Citi are two different entities would each give you 10% with a total between the 2 of 20K?

I also heard that Barclays will no longer issue CCs with the AAdvantage miles benefit at all after the merger of the two programs. IF you have one you can keep it but, no new cards.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:07 pm

I extremely doubt it.

You need to understand how the computer programming works on such automatically-given benefits, and then you'd see why they won't stack.

Here is how the code currently works at AA with the Citi AA cards:

There is a Boolean (yes/no) variable called something like "10_percent_rebate_enabled".

It gets initialied to "no" when an AA account is created (or when this feature was first added, for older AA accounts).

If it sees you've got a Citi AA card, it sets that variable to "yes".

If it sees you've got another Citi AA card, it again sets that variable to "yes". (It can't set it to "more yes"; the only possible states for the variable are "yes" or "no".)

Ie, there's no addition involved; however many cards you have, they all set the same variable to "yes".

In turn, once you redeem miles, it checks that variable, and if it's set to "yes", it gives you the 10% bonus (limited to the 10k cap); if it's set to "no", it doesn't.

And thus there's nothing else for a Barclay card to do but set that very same variable to "yes". And have the same effect as a second or third or fourth Citi AA card setting it to "yes".

That's the way any decent programmer would implement it, that's clearly the way it's implemented for Citi AA cards, and I see no reason for it to be implemented any other way when Barclay AA cards come into the mix.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:13 pm

Well they could use something like

if Citi_rebatecardholder = TRUE then
max_citi_rebate:=10;

else

max_citi_rebate:=0;

endif;

if barclay_rebatecardholder = TRUE then
max_barclay_rebate:=10;

else

max_barclay_rebate:=0;

endif;

max_total_rebate:=max_citi_rebate+max_barclay_reba te;
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
The question here , which I am presenting is since Barclays and Citi are two different entities would each give you 10% with a total between the 2 of 20K?
It's AA, not the cards, that give you the rebate. The cards just enable the rebate. (For example, you don't have to pay the fees on the award booking with the enabling card to get the rebate.)

So in the long run, it'll be whatever AA decides. Why AA should decide that that they'll give you twice the bonus (either by stacking the 10% or stacking the cap), just because they ended up with two banks, I can't conceive myself. But then, I don't know why there's a cap in the first place. (The IHG Club hotel program -- Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, etc -- gives a 10% rebate on reward redemptions to people who have their Chase card, and in their case it's not capped at all.)

In the short run, it might be different than whatever they decide in case the coding is done in error.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Well they could use something like

if Citi_rebatecardholder = TRUE then
max_citi_rebate:=10;

else

max_citi_rebate:=0;

endif;

if barclay_rebatecardholder = TRUE then
max_barclay_rebate:=10;

else

max_barclay_rebate:=0;

endif;

max_total_rebate:=max_citi_rebate+max_barclay_reba te;
I highly doubt this. If there's any stacking, it's probably not intentional.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
It's AA, not the cards, that give you the rebate. The cards just enable the rebate. (For example, you don't have to pay the fees on the award booking with the enabling card to get the rebate.)
Are you sure about this? I always thought that the miles were purchased from AA by the card issuers (and therefore given to the CC holder by the card issuer via AA). Why would these miles work in a different way to the sign up miles one can collect?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stripy
Are you sure about this? I always thought that the miles were purchased from AA by the card issuers (and therefore given to the CC holder by the card issuer via AA). Why would these miles work in a different way to the sign up miles one can collect?
I wasn't talking about who pays for it, I was talking about who actually puts it in your account. It's AA who does, whether you used a Citi card for the fees on that award redemption or not. There's no way that AA notices an award redemption, sends it to Citi, Citi calculates 10%, sends it back to AA. It's all handled within AA, simply based on you having (not you using) a Citi AA card.

Now, AA may (on a monthly, or yearly, or whatever) basis take all those 10% rebates, add them up, and then deduct them from Citi's miles account, who knows. But that's irrelevant to how it posts, and how it posts is the only issue relevant to the question in this thread, whether the upcoming Barclay's 10% benefit would "stack" in any way with Citi's existing 10% benefit.

But, if you want to focus on it, here's an issue: What if these don't stack, and either a Barclay AA card and/or a Citi AA card enable this feature. Since you don't have to use either card on the award reservation to get the rebate, to which bank would AA attribute the rebate cost, if you have both the Barclay AA and Citi AA cards? So the very fact that AA has agreed to Barclay also having an AA card (even if only "grandfathered") makes me wonder if Citi pays anything for these rebates.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:25 pm

I wasn't talking about who pays for it, I was talking about who actually puts it in your account. It's AA who does, whether you used a Citi card for the fees on that award redemption or not. There's no way that AA notices an award redemption, sends it to Citi, Citi calculates 10%, sends it back to AA. It's all handled within AA, simply based on you having (not you using) a Citi AA card.

Now, AA may (on a monthly, or yearly, or whatever) basis take all those 10% rebates, add them up, and then deduct them from Citi's miles account, who knows. But that's irrelevant to how it posts, and how it posts is the only issue relevant to the question in this thread, whether the upcoming Barclay's 10% benefit would "stack" in any way with Citi's existing 10% benefit.

But, if you want to focus on it, here's an issue: What if these don't stack, and either a Barclay AA card and/or a Citi AA card enable this feature. Since you don't have to use either card on the award reservation to get the rebate, to which bank would AA attribute the rebate cost, if you have both the Barclay AA and Citi AA cards? So the very fact that AA has agreed to Barclay also having an AA card (even if only "grandfathered") makes me wonder if Citi pays anything for these rebates.
I got an update from calling AAdvantage customer service.

I spoke with two different reps this week to make sure. They must have gotten a memo on the situation. The bonuses do stack! If one has both cards its 20% back for a max of 20K per year. They also mentioned the Barclay card for AA will close for applications forever very soon.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I can confirm that the answer is YES.

We had an award reservation on hold, due to expire at 11:59 pm PST on Friday, March 27. Did not make a final decision until about 10:30 pm that night, website was down, called to either extend the hold or book it. As no inventory as available, we decided to pull the trigger, confirmation was not received until approx 7:30 am on March 28.

I was able to partially access my account this morning, shows that my USDM transferred properly, and both Citi and Barclay's credited the 10% redemption bonus!

My Barclays account is up for renewal in the next couple of weeks, bonus miles do not justify paying the annual fee to both, I have no intention of charging $30k on either card for the 10k bonus, would keep the Barclays card if they still offered the companion pass. Will see if they are willing to waive the fee to keep me as a customer.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:34 am

Cool, my balances are combined and it's nice to see this. I can't see clearly if the "within 6-8 weeks" of the rebated points means after booking or taking the trip. I have Citi and Barclays cards, planning to make an 11-month advance award booking in June, and planning not to renew the Citi card in September. So can I expect to get 20% of points back without needing to renew that card?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:36 am

For me, it looks like the result is not stacking the 10%. It may end up stacking the 10k cap, up to 20k total.

I booked a redemption for 25,000 miles today. The card bonus was oddly split between both cards for 1,250 each, adding up to 2,500 miles (10% rebate).

http://imgur.com/IZ7P1Cb
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:37 pm

Yes, it looks like there is a 10k cap on the bonus. I redeemed a 55k award today, and was only given 2,500x2 since I already redeemed a 50k award earlier this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.