Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
I read in a previous post on this subject that the 10% rebate comes from American's system directly so having multiple cards (even from different banks) will make no difference on the 10k limit.
Correct. This isn't a 'double dip' situation.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I do not believe so.

I have both cards and booked 130k in award tickets (3 different tickets - 40k, 40k, 50k) and only received 10k back rather than 13k.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Bah. that's a cheap trick.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by r.brown
I do not believe so.

I have both cards and booked 130k in award tickets (3 different tickets - 40k, 40k, 50k) and only received 10k back rather than 13k.
That's rather good evidence.

Why have both cards?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by richarddd
That's rather good evidence.

Why have both cards?
I actually have 3 - 2 of them Citi, 1 Barclays.

Citi Exec card for club access - I justify this by the 100k signup offer last year, and when it came up for renewal this year, I canceled it and signed up again for a 50k signup offer. Rather than pay for the club access directly to US/AA, I figure go thru Citi and get a nice signup bonus every year rather than renewing.

Citi AAdvantage Platinum (only because they waive the fee every year for me since I have the Exec card). I keep it open since there is no fee and to keep the average age towards my credit score.

As for Barclays, I had it for the 5k discount per ticket on US, companion pass, and very large credit line.

Now that they are both AA cards - I will keep the Citi Exec for lounge access, and cancel/signup again next year assuming the signup bonus off is available and probably keep Barclays for the large credit line. Barclays seem to also be waiving the annual fee if you try to cancel as they don't want to lose customers. Might as well keep it if I do not have to pay the fee.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Keep both for the EQM opportunity - 10k each. Those I believe you can double dip.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:00 pm

My 10% off cards are the Citi Platinum and the Barclays. I'll keep whatever waives the annual fee.

I had a few Citi Exec cards, but no more.

Keep both for the EQM opportunity - 10k each. Those I believe you can double dip.
I'm lifetime PLT and am nowhere close to EXP, even with 20k of card EQMs.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:20 pm

I'm noticing new stuff on the Barclays card page this evening, including in the FAQ;

For the 10% redemption benefit, what happens if I have more than one AAdvantage® Credit Card at Barclaycard or another financial Institution?

The maximum number of miles that can be earned from this benefit is 10,000 miles per AAdvantage® account. If you have a credit card account at another financial institution that earns this benefit, your miles will be evenly distributed up to the 10,000 annual maximum.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Back last weekend, after both Citi and Barclay's had deferred me to AA (as according to them both, AA runs that program and they have no visibility or control over that), I got a pretty quick response from AAdvantage back and they said that Citi and Barclay's, as two separate card issuers, each have their own 10,000 yearly cap, and that specifically with one card of each it'll be 20,000 combined cap (they didn't clarify is it 10% or 20% to that 20K cap, though, and never responded to my follow-up to clarify that). That is, with multiple Citi or Barclay's cards it'd be still 10K yearly cap, but with one of each it will be 20K: 10K per card issuer. Clearly and unambiguously so said.

But, seeing the recent experience of others here, so does not seem to be the case in practice. May be that is why for over five days now no response back on my request for clarification w.r.t. is it 10% or 20% then until the 20K yearly cap...as they'd have to backpedal and say that it's not so after all.

I won't push them for it though and if they limit me to 10K yearly cap, will quote their own mail where it's unequivocally clearly stated that it's 20K cap (10K each card issuer), and that they never responded to my follow-up which would have been a perfect opportunity to tell me that they were mistaken in the original reply (if so was indeed the case - still too early to tell IMO).

Any more real-life experiences here for >100K mile bookings and both Citi and Barclay's cards, please post here and share your experience - is it really still 10K combined cap (5K each), or does it go to 20K as AA says it does/should.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Citi + Barclay CC 10% mileage rebate bonuses after merger into Aadvantage Stackable??

This also gives me absolutely no incentive to combine my accounts. I will keep them separate and build up the balances so that when I redeem miles I will get the max 10% 10k from one account and 10% 10k from another.

I was looking for a reason not to have Aadvantage auto combine. Guess I found it. For those of you that did combine and the bonuses wont stack this gives u all the more reason to drop Barclays. It really only hurts them, no? Thanks Aadvantage for helping me with a brand new account. I dont fly enough to get elite and and i am nowhere close to million miler status so all moot for me.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:08 am

AAdvantage (Citi Card) 10% Miles Refund

Had a question regarding the 10% refund. Is it limited to per account or per card? Was curious due to having numerous cards that offer the 10%, especially with the Barclay AA card..
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mrkymark
I was looking for a reason not to have Aadvantage auto combine. Guess I found it. For those of you that did combine and the bonuses wont stack this gives u all the more reason to drop Barclays. It really only hurts them, no? Thanks Aadvantage for helping me with a brand new account. I dont fly enough to get elite and and i am nowhere close to million miler status so all moot for me.
Why drop Barclay's instead of drop Citi and keep Barclay's? It hurts both Citi and Barclay's here, Citi many fold more. Anyone would be silly to drop Barclay's Aviator, as then can never get it again; probably 9/10 (anyone who stops to think) would drop Citi (as can always easily get it again if things change, while Barclay's soon won't issue any new AA cards). So, this will just serve to reduce the number of Citi AA cards...but not by a lot though, as most likely don't pay enough attention to this.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:04 pm

It seems to be one per account. See this thread, where this might get redirected: <removed circular link post merge>

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 17, 2015 at 2:29 am
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:09 pm

In addition to Barclays continuing to promise me a 10K anniversary bonus, they've given me quarterly category bonuses, which I haven't seen from Citi. So far for the new quarter we just have the 50% bonus on all spending; I guess we'll need to see if Barclays will offer these bonuses in the future.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:54 pm

Have an award that I need to book tonight... and trying to figure out which credit card to pay with. Since it's to Europe there's over $100 in taxes and fees... Have both Citi card and Barclays.. but also have CSP which would give me the benefit of trip insurance "if" anything should happen... and there might be that possibility..
So do I need to pay the "fees" with the Citicard to get the bonus (6K) or not? Just curious... have a couple of other flights to book later in the year so I might let this slide.
TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.